HID's for off road

Last weekend I fitted the Xenon HID lights that Jez brought back from Russia - thanks Jez.

I decided to fit them in the grille area, rather than on the bumper, to get a higher position for the beam...

081101_0319Medium.jpg

I have each of them angled out to give a good wide spread of beam. As you can see in the pic above, the lenses on these already have a 'fog' pattern to spread the beam of the HID bulb...

081101_0325Medium.jpg

081101_0326Medium.jpg

Hopefully they are recessed enough to stop an errant tree pushing them into my intercooler ;);) ...

081101_0327Medium.jpg

Wired into a Carling switch, bought from X-Eng, that I put into vacant slot in switch panel..

081101_0329Medium.jpg

Just need to get some more robust brackets made up for the lamps now I have position right.

Didn't take any pics of them working at night as they don't usually come out that well to show true difference. Take it from me, these are bright lights. A pair are more than enough for me and do the job of illuminating ahead off road really well. Very pleased so far.

A couple of more pics, Steve..

081101_0322Medium.jpg

081101_0328Medium.jpg

PS,, nice legal plate their mate :ph34r: not !!

In a good mood today Tim?? :P

Well if you mean it's illegal because it doesn't have the BS mark and suppliers details stamped on it, then neither does the plates I bought for the RR in April from Halfords. Otherwise it conforms to all other reqs.

Cheers

Steve

Being a bright spark ... don't you find that brighter lights mean darker shadows, and it's in the shadows that unpleasantness hides?

I'm just reflecting my slight experience of night time trips away from smooth metalled roads.

Regards,

Does this mean you drive around with your lights off then David? ;);););)

In a good mood today Tim?? :P

Well if you mean it's illegal because it doesn't have the BS mark and suppliers details stamped on it, then neither does the plates I bought for the RR in April from Halfords. Otherwise it conforms to all other reqs.

Great day,, thanks Steve

Well expect the RR to fail its MOT maybe,, sorry

Plates fitted to models registered after 1 September 2001 that aren't embossed with the name and postcode of the supplier and BS AU145d British Standard symbol will result in an automatic failure. The move is designed to make it easy for testers to spot non-road-legal show plates, as these don't have a BS symbol."

Also see DVLA Regs

self-adhesive number plates do not meet British Standard requirements ,, The rangie has a proper one for "road use" !! :rolleyes:

Not having a pop boys :P

Having just spend a few hours this week sorting out artwork for our plates to comply with the new rules that came out today, and put a load of stock ones in the bin !!!

So not anal Mo,, just the way things are , don't shoot the messenger :ph34r:

Does this mean you drive around with your lights off then David? ;);););)

:D Now you know that isn't so.

Expanding the thoughts behind my comment.

I took 'HIDs for off road' to mean just that.

On a bumpy surface any depression becomes a shadow, due to the relatively shallow angle of the headlights. It's difficult to see whether the shadow is hiding a shallow dip, or a sudden 6" drop. Shining a brighter light causes the eye to close down, to avoid dazzle, so the shadow appears darker.

Thus I'm not convinced that HID is a benefit when you can't guarantee that everything is lit. Mount extra lights higher than your headlights, aim them sharply down, so the beam cut-off is no further ahead of your car than your normal dip beam cut-off (on a level road), and there will be some benefit due to the steeper relative angle of the light beam (shining into the shadow caused by the dip beam), but even then I'm not convinced about HIDs for use on uneven surfaces.

As it happens, I've tried HIDs as headlights, and gone back to Philips Silverstar conventional bulbs. The dip beam HID gives a brighter light, turning the tarmac almost white, but I can see there anyway, so there was no practical advantage, and some disadvantage.

Cheers.

Mount extra lights higher than your headlights, aim them sharply down, so the beam cut-off is no further ahead of your car than your normal dip beam cut-off (on a level road), and there will be some benefit due to the steeper relative angle of the light beam (shining into the shadow caused by the dip beam), but even then I'm not convinced about HIDs for use on uneven surfaces.

I realised I missed a bit from this earlier response.

If, in the future, I mount fog lights at the top of the windscreen, for after dark Green Lane work, I will arrange the housing and lens so the sharp cut-off is at the bottom of the light pattern, IE all the light shining ABOVE the cut-off, not below, as is the normal orientation of fog lights.

I will then aim the lamp downwards so the cut-off line just clears the leading edge of the bonnet.

This arrangement will stop wasting light illuminating the bonnet (and dazzling the driver), but will give the best possible downlight to eradicate the shadows caused by the dipped headlights.

HTH.

Not having a pop boys :P

Having just spend a few hours this week sorting out artwork for our plates to comply with the new rules that came out today, and put a load of stock ones in the bin !!!

So not anal Mo,, just the way things are , don't shoot the messenger :ph34r:

We'll shoot you anyway, Tim, not unreasonable is it ?

Mo :)

I used to have some eyeball fog lights which I mounted upside down on the roof of my Ninety for exactly the reasons David gives above. If the light source is higher than your eyes then there will be light deeper into any potholes than you can see anyway.

The cutoff didn't stop any bonnet illumination though, it wasn't that "sharp". In the end I mounted them back up the roof, which solved the problem. They only came off when the cage was fitted, and are now replaced with pencil-beam spotlights in a cowl.

Great day,, thanks Steve

Well expect the RR to fail its MOT maybe,, sorry

Also see DVLA Regs

self-adhesive number plates do not meet British Standard requirements ,, The rangie has a proper one for "road use" !! :rolleyes:

These stupid little laws that the government keep making up make my blood boil!

Have you seen the belgium number plates, the italian number plates etc there around 6" x 2" and they don't even run a front plate half the time!

over 40% of the GDP is spent running this country! Find something and someone else to bother. RANT OVER.

Like the HID's and the positioning looks almost stock.

As for the shadows getting darker, i'm not afraid of the dark anfd the headlights will light the road on dipped beam fine.

the italian number plates etc there around 6" x 2" and they don't even run a front plate half the time!

Really?

Some may do, at their own risk...

Mine is still there, a bit bent, and semi-covered by the winch hook...I could get fined just for this.

the first time I ran HIDs in a 24 hour comp I was a little sceptical, it got darker and darker and I tried going as long as possible without turning lights on at all, I was expecting the same dribble of light that pretty much every spotlight manages and the resultant issues they cause.. eventually there was no alternative so I hit the big button labelled "sunshine" on the console and breathed a sigh of relief as several kilotonnes of hiroshima grade lumens turned the forest back into daytime. they chuck out soooooo much light worrying about static and dynamic intensity imbalance or point light calcs becomes kind of redundant

we found some new ones at Vepsskii, I'll put some pics up tomorrow :)

I fit a normal numberplate with cable ties for the MOT.

But as far as I know, and two traffic cops I have asked agree with me. Provided your plate was fitted before the law changed and is still in good condition it is still legal. Only new plates have to have the BS mark etc, if fitted before 1st sept '01 they have to conform to the standard, but do not have to display the BS number.

Interestingly DVLA are considering making adhesive plates compulsory to stop theft :rolleyes:

Do like those lights, is anyone going to import them