slow LR4x4.com again

SteveG

Sorry to bring this up again but looks like there are still a few problems, getting the following:-

Network Timeout

The server at forums.lr4x4.com is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

At the same time I was running a ping to google and it never missed a beat so I don't think its my end.

I also noticed system slowdowns at around 11 a.m. GMT for 2-3 mins, before and after the 'fix'.

What I'm thinking is this:

- the server is hosted over the pond where the time is several hours behind, say 7 hours

- the default hour for running the tasks in the daily scripts (backup, rebuild, log files rotation etc) is 4:00 a.m. local (server) time

- these tasks take considerable resources (my server, not a very powerful one but adequate for the job, goes almost dead at 4 am my local time for about 3-5 mins)

Maybe they can check this theory and if it proves to be the case then they can try shifting the scheduled tasks according to European time (4 a.m. GMT) and we'll see what happens.

Not exactly fast here but the problem is when returning to the forum.

Read all the posts I wish to. Press the button which says mark all as read. Dark blue boxes go pale to indicate that they are all read. Visit another site, return to LR4x4 and it tells me there are lots of unread posts. Click on the Intl for example and lo and behold all posts are read. So why is it lying to me?

Well just dumped firefox and then reinstalled and seems to work fine.

When at the bottom of the thread page you can click to jump forums. Does your list all appear? I only get as far down as the Disco forum and then have to scroll down to the Forsale/wanted bit. Is it the way I have the forum configured. On IE it shows the whole list straight away