slow LR4x4.com again

SteveG

I must be lucky in my timing too.

I'm an admin on another forum that is this same Invision board - it has a few less posts and members but perhaps more online activity.

I think we have it hosted with http://www.visn.co.uk/

Very good and stable set up - though we do rely on donations and an OEM parts suppliers sponsorship. Forum still feels independent its just that members get a discount.

Many small changes (and some bigger ones) are being made in an attempt to improve things and we have just now up'd the logging on the sql db to gain a bit more knowledge of what is going on there.

It is proving difficult to track down as the 'slow' periods are VERY slow but quite intermittent. I've got monitoring going and it will run for hours with 1sec page load times and then once in a while, yuck :(

So, I guess two messages,

1) we (and I include Invision in that) are working to pin this down and

2) if you are having trouble please post up here (ideally including time and your location/isp) as right now all info is welcome.

at 13:31 10/11/08...

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

ISP = Demon Internet

Trev et all... keep it up chaps, I don't envy you having to look through log files, what a monotonous job!

the ongoing debate with our suppliers for your info:

Again it is running extremely slow,

complaints from members. please can you look into the issue asap

Today, 11:09 AM

Staff: Blake

Hello,

I will have our board team look into the slowdown. There are some queries in the log that we may be able to optimize.

Thank you,

System Administrator

Invision Power Services

Today, 12:37 PM

Staff: Jason H

Hello,

You no doubt saw a slowdown right now.. That was my fault.. I should have switched the forum offline while I ran some maintenance queries there.. Didn't think it would affect it as much as it did.. But the logs are showing some problems with searching, and fulltext is enabled on your site.. So, I rebuilt the FullText indexes.. And that really bogged things down more than I expected. 300k posts, I didn't expect it to take longer than 30 seconds or so, and it wound up taking about 2 minutes.. probably due to the activity on the forum.

Jason

IPS Support

post-22-1226343784_thumb.jpg

Ooops :blink:

Seriously the forums speed has been much in debate between the A&Ms, Trev and Geoff at least understand this stuff, and invision now seem to be trying to help, its desperately annoying when the speed drops to something like throwing a stick for a dead dog to fetch, but if we move elsewhere we may be premature and get a worse service. Just try to bear with us, it annoys us all - not that that is a great reassurance :lol:

Nige

The problem with software is that it all works fine when testing. It's only when you let the users get hold of it that you have problems. They all expect it to be lightning fast with 100 users even though you only tested it with 3 users.

:P

Ivan

Most of yesterday evening and all of today so far all have been "normal" for me....

Last night was NTL and today is work stuff so anything can happen ! :)

Fingers crossed you've got it sussed.... (Mods feel free to edit / delete if you think this is tempting fate...)

Neil