How to get a locking wheel nut off???????

Do you happen to remember the letter that was stamped on the back of the locking wheel nut?? If so you can buy them individually from the main dealers or I have seen them on eblg. It might be worth checking on any paperwork you have as sometimes they may have put it on the original bill of sale etc.

Guest diesel_jim

Go to your local dealer, they should have the full set there, they might lend you one (or rather, allow you to try them all out until you find the one that fits) then wander over to the parts desk and order one.

just thought... this is assuming it's a genuine LR locking nut, you know the type... the ones that split when you put any kind of leverage onto them :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If they are genuine part then go to the dealer as advised above.

Otherwise go to your local tyrefitters. Ask them to remove them for you. They usually have the tool to do it. My eldest did this with his Peugeot. Cost him £5 to have all four locking nuts taken off. Take some proof of ID and proof of ownership of the vehicle with you as they may refuse to do it otherwise!

Then go & buy yourself a set of new ones.

Suggest you don't leave it too long as if you have a puncture (unless you are in the AA/RAC etc as they also carry the removers) you are going to be in a mess.

Nice to know that you can buy anything you need to counter security systems!

Hope you managed to get them off Rhys. BMW stealer told me that they would have to use a small socket on my car when the nut started to strip so it must work I guess.

Marc.

I bough a RRC for spares which had 2 locking wheel nuts on it and no key. The locking wheel nuts though are steel so I just welded old bolts onto them (didn't need much weld) and just used a nomal socket on the bolt head. The Alloys didn't suffer as I just put a bit of tin round the nut to protect them from splatter.

If I still wanted the locking nuts then I could have ground the welds and they would still have been usable.

socket technique can work but it depends on the type of locking nut.

Indeed. If you have these type of locking wheel nuts...

106~locknuts1.jpg

...then you can dig out the serial number that came with the wheel nut socket/key thingy and this will allow you to get another replacement socket. The pattern is supposed to be reasonable unique and is identified by the serial number.

We tell all our clients to throw the things away and fit normal wheel nuts. In the UK, wheels are stolen. In SA wheels are stolen but with the car attached to it. And nothing can ruin your day more than to be deep in the bush somewhere, get a flat and then find you can't get the wheel off. We have known Discos to be put on a truck and brought back to civilisation at great expense just because of a broken wheel nut socket. And they will break ....

We tell all our clients to throw the things away and fit normal wheel nuts. In the UK, wheels are stolen. In SA wheels are stolen but with the car attached to it. And nothing can ruin your day more than to be deep in the bush somewhere, get a flat and then find you can't get the wheel off. We have known Discos to be put on a truck and brought back to civilisation at great expense just because of a broken wheel nut socket. And they will break ....

In the uk we have pikey's, they steal shiny things but not cars. Nothing can ruin your day more than finding your car resting on its discs and finding the insurance will only replace with standard wheels and tyres - less the excess of course.

Indeed. If you have these type of locking wheel nuts...

106~locknuts1.jpg

...then you can dig out the serial number that came with the wheel nut socket/key thingy and this will allow you to get another replacement socket. The pattern is supposed to be reasonable unique and is identified by the serial number.

I had a similar problem and i did what Andyb says here. On the contrary I think the mechs tighten them too hard!! I broke 2 of mine (with a coded Alphabet on) Illiteracy led me to buy over 4 sockets with different alphabet each time. Anyway I did warn them when changing to winter tyres NOT to tighten it to death!!! :angry:

• 10 years later...

I know I’m resurrecting this post 😂 but I found it very helpful today,the actual nut itself started coming away. The key (four pins) started buckling and eventually chipped away at the holes on the nut. So the 3/4 size socket was hammered on and het presto !! 

Thanks again for the great info as always. 

Charlie