Mice

treebloke

Had a mouse in the wifes def 90 this week so she has been driving mine and is very reluctant to go back in hers. Caught one but theres bound to be more.

I guess they climb up the wheel onto the brake then climb the spring and in through the engine compartment some how.

We get them at work in the wagons if the lads leave food about.

Thought about smearing something like grease along the inside of the wheel rim?. Dunno how to stop em really.

The guy next door had a mouse in his Land Cruiser so he put some poison down, next day the poison was gone and he had the idea that if he left all the doors open the mouse might decide to go for a walk to die in a hedgerow or somewhere more scenic. His German Shepard decided to look for the mouse while the neighbour wasnt about and there is very little left of the inside of his truck now.

An old lady used to live a few doors down from me - she made 1 journey a day in her car. It was less than a mile to the village shop for her paper and milk.

She had mice nesting in her front springs - and they just used to go on the very sedate journey with her once a day :D

That went on for years - only problem was when they chewed through the indicator wiring. :D

You'll be surprised just what they can climb up, jump over, and crawl through. I well remember hoping in and driving off a farm Land Rover that had not been used for awhile only to find rats leaping out from the seat box where a few had taken up residence.

Poison bait should work but obviously observe the usual safety precautions.

I once heard that if it is possible to get a Biro through a hole then a mouse can get through. Their skulls are made of several parts and can deform to allow then through.

You're not supposed to hammer them through the hole :D

Good old fashioned finger-pinching mousetraps take a lot of beating. I've got two out in the shed and I think I've seen off the local mouse population as I have zapped about a hundred and now haven't had one for about three months. The trouble with poison is that it works but they usually go and die somewhere inconveniently inaccessible and then stink the place out for three weeks.

I once heard that if it is possible to get a Biro through a hole then a mouse can get through. Their skulls are made of several parts and can deform to allow then through.

Chris

Now despite my user name I don't profess to be an expert in this area but you are indeed correct, they can get through the most incredibly small gaps.

Those gaps that normally exist between the panels on a Land Rover will present no obstacle what so ever... ;)

iv kept many reptiles over the years and never had mice anywhere near my vehecls or house ;) have had to help a few ppl remove escaped reptiles from behind dash boards and out of body work before now

also found that emptying the dirty water of monitor lizards and large snakes stop the local cats from coming in the garden even stop the dogs digging the flower beds may have to keep a bit of paper out of one of my vivs in the lany just in case

You need to get a Land Rover Cat, part number ME00001

I second that. But get an aftermarket one, a genuine might not do the job :)

My folks moved in a newly developed area some 8 years ago, a former peach tree plantation, 100 yards from a forest. One day a mouse chewed the pvc jacket of the earth strap from the battery. No matter how many mice got trapped or poisoned they kept coming.

So they decided to get a cat. From that day they never saw a mouse on their premises. No lizards and no moles in the ground as well.

By the way, a mouse can get through any hole bigger than 6mm.

Little Nipper mouse traps with crunchy peanut butter or chocolate spread.

Check traps twice a day if possible a) for humane reasons and B) because a full trap won't catch.

Every winter all the field mice from the woods/fields decide to live in our attic and they make such a noise that I originally thought they were squirrels. We put up to 8 traps down at a time to maximise the catching ability. Anything caught gets chucked in with the ferrets.

/mad

We have rented this basement of ours but one bachelor who had rented it at the time complained of "movements in the wall". My thoughts went to his lack of the opposite sex :huh: we had to swallow our words when the kitchen started stinking pee and wee residue! They had burrowed into the walls of the basement via an open space leading into the toilet pipes! When the wall was riped we got the shock of our lives :o The poor guy left without paying his final months rentals. :(:huh:

When the Council exterminator came around our place as we had rats (chip shop next door) he told me that if they set poison for mice they don't go back to clear them up as they rot away to nothing without odour??

At another house above a shop we cought three rats, I had one in a hevy duty but small sack with my hand closed tight around the top. My mate called to me to look out and when I looked at my hand the rat (about the size of the one in the photo in a previous post here) had got out through my fist and was casualy sitting on top of my hand. I never felt a thing! :unsure:

Marc