Snapped trailing arm....

Timmy511

Well i had a pair of double cranked trailing arms on my 90 until tonight, when one snapped!

it snapped where the weld met the tubing at the chassis end and was a clean break, my gripe is these arms are being sold in two different places on the internet and at shows. Mine had only seen 1 green laning trip, a play day and some road milage. despite how much work they have or havnt dont i dont expect any trailing arm should break.

what would you do now, try get your money back? report them to trading standards, im pretty shocked to be honest.

Well i had a pair of double cranked trailing arms on my 90 until tonight, when one snapped!

it snapped where the weld met the tubing at the chassis end and was a clean break, my gripe is these arms are being sold in two different places on the internet and at shows. Mine had only seen 1 green laning trip, a play day and some road milage. despite how much work they have or havnt dont i dont expect any trailing arm should break.

what would you do now, try get your money back? report them to trading standards, im pretty shocked to be honest.

Start with the money back route. If you go to trading standards, they'll probably ask if you've contacted the supplier first. Give them a chance to do something about it first. Depending on the outcome of that, that's when you start raising the stakes.

Edited to add: if you know anyone who is professional welder, have them have a look - they may be able to point out problems with the quality of the weld.

I had scrapiron ones. mine were among quite a few that snapped. I phoned them to say i was not happy as they were only 12months old and they sent me a new set and tried fobing me off saying there had been a product recall and i should of been told. 4 weeks later i received a letter telling me there was a recall. which was obviously a bit late. I now use x arms.

Do you not think it would be a good idea to tell us all who`s arms they are as there seems to be an "assumption" being made they are from a certain supplier called "Scrapiron"

As far as im aware nobody on this thread nobody has actually named the supplier.

They are not scrapiron racing. ive phoned the supplier who sounder very shocked to say the least, he agreed to give me a full refund, which is ok.

id much prefer him to stop selling them as he obviously isnt a welder, see picture (sorry about the quality).

post-9417-1229276023_thumb.jpg

From the colour and fabrication method I am pretty sure I know who's those are... I've had one similar in that when fitting and doing the nut up on the end the stud started spinning inside the arm!

Needless to say I didn't carry on fitting them.... :angry2:

im saying nothing, i agree theyre shizen but the bloke has atleast said he'll fully refund me with no bull. and when i see the person in question ill point out the fact the he could be done for man slaughter if someone died using his equipment especially when none of it says 'for off road use only' etc.

i hope he might see sense and stop selling them. it might be easy money but nobody would want to live knowing they caused somone elses death.

They are not scrapiron racing. ive phoned the supplier who sounder very shocked to say the least, he agreed to give me a full refund, which is ok.

id much prefer him to stop selling them as he obviously isnt a welder, see picture (sorry about the quality).

Looking on their website the welding looks pretty suspect. Have a look at the blobs on this prop:

post-784-1229295328_thumb.jpg

The colour ain't right either.

Give the guy a break! (pun not intended)

Everyone makes mistakes!

Let the guy react first, it seems that he has started correctly by giving a refund, I hope his next step is to revise his quality.

Give him a chance to do it!

sometimes I think people are just waiting for some poor guy to hang!!

Yes, quality was a problem and if you pointed this out to him then I am sure he will try to sort it, If he doesn't THEN you can hang him,

Unless of course you are one of those people that NEVER makes mistakes, but then you won't report it either cos those that never make mistakes never make anything!

Lara

Perhaps the manufacturer should be directed to a certain current court case, where a broken trailing arm seems to feature in the evidence.

I'm not disagreeing with you Lara, mistakes/quality issues happen, but it's not too much to ask that safety critical parts be built and tested to the highest standard.

Seems anyone with a MiG and a gallon of "extreme" paint can knock this stuff up