warning about posting pics

dirtydiesel

I recently sent my v5 off to re-regestered my heavily modified G wagon to my new address,

After about 6 weeks the dvla sent me a letter saying, i had to declare all modifications (with pics to back up my statements) including new engine number and alterations to wheel plan and axles. before i could get a new v5.

I am quite interested to know how they know i've modified the car as i've never declared any of the mods.

I've checked everywhere i've posted, and our members vehicles forum is the only one that has a pic showing the reg number, A few pics have got into total off road but none showing the reg.

I've sent the form off and we'll see what they want next, i'm guessing a vic minimum.

Oh yeah big brother is watching

I rember Jules once had his freelander insured with a company untill one day he got a letter from them with a photocopy of an article, on the car in one of the land rover mags. With a letter saying his premium was about to go though the roof :rolleyes:

After all you number plate may not have been in the mag but did your name appear in it and even the idiots that work for the goverment can two and two together

I think that this kind of thing will be happening far more regularly these days. It's just part of the DVLA's clamp-down on their regulations that most car modifiers have been ignoring since the dawn of time!

The DVLA are all over the car forums and places like eBay. Car modifying forums and magazines contain conveniently documented accounts of rule-breaking, complete with photographs, including unedited registration numbers, all there for the DVLA to read.

Once everyone gets wise to this I'm sure it will become commonplace to edit out registration numbers from posted photographs.

Could be you were dropped in it by someone who is not to keen on you?

Or it maybe that we have a DVLA member on here who has reported a few things rather than an active big brother infiltration?

Isn't that the same thing?

Marc.

After all you number plate may not have been in the mag but did your name appear in it and even the idiots that work for the goverment can two and two together

How'd they know that one was the modified one i have a few others in my name?

Could be you were dropped in it by someone who is not to keen on you?

I carn't see that, it's a pretty random and insignificant thing to be grassed up for.

Besides everone loves me and i've never offended a soul :rolleyes:

I carn't see that, it's a pretty random and insignificant thing to be grassed up for.

I wouldn't put it past a few characters <_< I'd be interested to know the legal standing on the DVLA trawling for people's vehicle details, at what point are they breaking some sort of data protection / privacy rules? :huh:

You will find the Police do it as well.

Amazing the detail they will go into during an investigation & the number of people who have been caught for other matters due to keeping bits of paper round the house which have been seized during a search.

As for keeping stuff on your computer.....

It's all information that is publicly available anyway. If someone wants to incriminate themselves by publishing details of their illegal vehicle then you can't blame the DVLA for not turning a blind eye - especially considering that they have made it clear that they are clamping down on those who ignore the rules.

Even without this freely-available information just sitting there for them to read, it's well within their jurisdiction to take steps to ensure that the law is being adhered to with regard to their rules - which I expect in many thousands of cases it isn't.

That's very true, my dad works in the courts and apparently there's quite a spirit of sharing amongst the authorities these days - so for example a chap gets done for a minor drugs offence, the next thing you know the IRS are round his house going through all his business and then getting him for money laundering or suchlike, etc. etc.

As for what's on your computer, the law is a total ass on that one, under the new indecency laws the goalposts are so wide you could drive a bus through them - they could have you in court for owning a copy of The Sun if they wanted :rolleyes:

When the DVLA first announced that they were having a bit of a clamp-down, along with their proposals for further legislation regarding vehicle modifications, most people who stood to be the worst affected by it all just ignored it and didn't bother reading into how it would affect them. It was largely dismissed.

Now that things are starting to happen people are actually taking notice. Unfortunately that isn't the worst of it because we have further EU legislation to worry about which makes the DVLA situation pale into insignificance.

The DVLA's latest moves are all to do with combatting vehicle crime. It's just unfortunate that we (as vehicle modifiers) get caught up in it due to our customary dismissal of the rules. That's a tradition that is going to have to end in the not too distant future.

I wouldn't put it past a few characters <_< I'd be interested to know the legal standing on the DVLA trawling for people's vehicle details, at what point are they breaking some sort of data protection / privacy rules? :huh:

I think you will find there is no such thing when it comes to the internet

I'm not sure what the issue is here (or elsewhere that I've read)? If the vehicle has been modified to such an extent that the DVLA is interested, then surely you should declare such modifications anyway?

When converting a van into a motorhome for example there are certaing things that you can do, but once you add a bed to the vehicle you need to get your V5 changed. If you add gas you have to get a test/inspection certificate (and a registered fitter to make the connections).

I guess they don't need to know if you've put spotlights or a roofrack on, but if you've made a 130" into a 90" I think this would require notification...

I'm not having a go here, but I've been reading a lot of complaints recently and seen a lot of heavily modified vehicles that fall outside of the law and wonder how far we think that we can go before we consider safety etc.

Cheers, Martin.

I think you will find there is no such thing when it comes to the internet

There is, although obviously not covering posting pics of your truck on a public forum / mag articles. The issue would come from where they find their info, if it's publicly accessible then OK, but if they've been too sneaky they could find themselves in trouble. The trouble would likely be from whoever owns the network / system rather than whoever owns the truck in question, but it would be an interesting day in court :lol:

I came across this a while back. I posted it up on another forum but nobody was interested enough to comment. Heads in the sand - or old news maybe?

Apparently they consulted over 3000 bodies and organisations link

I don't think they try too hard to let the proletariat know what they are up to next. Which is particularly annoying if you have already started a project - only to have to give it up because, all of a sudden, the rules have changed :angry:

If you think you may have wanted to respond to the consultation, you can't, it is now closed.

Just what they have in mind is anyone's guess - but it won't be good.

Oh yeah big brother is watching

I rember Jules once had his freelander insured with a company untill one day he got a letter from them with a photocopy of an article, on the car in one of the land rover mags. With a letter saying his premium was about to go though the roof :rolleyes:

The Facts were the car was insured at the end of the racing season for road use as a run about for shows and if our road cars needed serviceing etc.

LRO ran a artical seven months after the event and the SURETURM sent me a letter enclosing the artical saying although all the modification had been listed we do not cover insurance for compertion cars (they for basiclly they gave me a nearly full refund on my insurance) I told them that I was fully aware the car was not covered for insurance as it stated in the documents but they would not insure the Ex dakar Freelander because they said there was nothing stopping me haveing a crash on a competertive stage then towing the car to the road and reporting it there. when I replyed thats fraud they simply said we resurve the right...

Snow Ball were much better and were very happy to cover the same car even after I told them it has won the 2005 super production off road championship and would be use for press photo's etc. They did try to sell me competition insurance....

Hmmmmm :huh:

What I really don't see is why if DVLA have all this "Info" on you, WHY would they / have they

wait until you go to reregister it :blink: they could just write to you anyhow ??

When you say 'reregister' - was this just simply moving house, or actaully writting to them with a V5 with some modifications

like the engine changed etc - ?? as I know this has caused a few friends issues here, ie a 200TDi into a series was not

a V5 back returned in the post and sorted..... ?? as they will / do wnat proof of purchase recipets etc etc etc etc etc

which was exactly what was needed re the 200TDi...

Seems really Odd ?

Nige

I'm not sure what the issue is here (or elsewhere that I've read)? If the vehicle has been modified to such an extent that the DVLA is interested, then surely you should declare such modifications anyway?

Yes, that's exactly right.

Most people just don't bother declaring changes to their vehicle, either wilfully or through ignorance of the regulations. Either way it's something that has until recently been easy to get away with.

I recently sent my v5 off to re-regestered my heavily modified G wagon to my new address,

After about 6 weeks the dvla sent me a letter saying, i had to declare all modifications (with pics to back up my statements) including new engine number and alterations to wheel plan and axles. before i could get a new v5.

I am quite interested to know how they know i've modified the car as i've never declared any of the mods.

I've checked everywhere i've posted, and our members vehicles forum is the only one that has a pic showing the reg number, A few pics have got into total off road but none showing the reg.

I've sent the form off and we'll see what they want next, i'm guessing a vic minimum.

Sorry to be a bit silly but is the address change letters arn't they a standard generic one across the board which covers everything like engine, axles, paint etc.. and you could be reading it wrong, Or is is refuring to your car's exact mods,although you have widened it lengthend and and changed the engine and basicly ticking all the boxes :(

Here's another MOT change coming in April 09

MOT test modifications

4. We are proposing two minor modifications to the current test. One is intended to help to prevent the display of illegal registration-plates; the other is intended to help reduce the number of accidents caused by ‘light trailers’ becoming detached from towing vehicles.

5. The MOT test already inc ludes a basic check of registration-plates – primarily to ensure that characters are properly formed and recognisable, and also to ensure that the plates are complete and not in danger of falling off the vehicle. The main purpose of the proposed modification to this test item is to detect registration-plates which have an illegal background that can prevent identification of the plate by traffic enforcement cameras.

6. The other modification we are planning to introduce is a new check to help ensure that - where a vehicle is presented for test with a towing attachment fitted - that device is not in an obviously unroadworthy state, or in such condition that it is likely to become detached from the vehicle under any circumstances, inc luding when it is under load and being used to draw a light trailer. The main purpose of this addition to the test is to help reduce the number of accidents caused by the detachment of light trailers from the towing vehicle. Although many such accidents arise because the driver has either driven inappropriately or has failed to connect the trailer properly, some accidents may nevertheless be attributable to the poor condition of the towing attachment and / or its poor method of attachment to the towing vehicle.

Full consultation article here - http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/mot/letter

The end at last of squiffy numberplates!

John

If you add gas you have to get a test/inspection certificate (and a registered fitter to make the connections).

Interesting, where would I look to find those regs?

Chris

I'd be interested in this too - my understanding was that an inspection was 'strongly advised' and would probably be necessary for insurance, but was not actually a regulation..