decent srewdrivers

flatback90

right thats it i'm officialy Mildly miffed off with the cheapo screwdrivers i have and now want to invest in a decent set with a guarantee, the last straw was tightening a jubilee clip and the flat ended screw driver broke :angry: anyone any recommendations? i was thinking teng or snap-on or maybe kamasa?

Hi,

As most jubilee clips have say a 6mm or 7mm outer edge I use a socket or one of these:

Jubilee clip driver

Whenever I can I use this on jubilee clips as it wont slip off.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have one of the 8 piece profesional screwdriver sets from Halfords, they haven't broken yet all the times I've used them, the handles are grippy as well.

Steve

I've always been impressed with Stanley Screwdrivers... if you look at www.axminster.co.uk they have a good range.

The 'old fashioned' Stanley ones with the hard plastic red or blue handles take some beating.

Otherwise, Teng, Britool and Halfords Pro..

I'm on my second set of Stanley screwdrivers. Nothing wrong with first set, they just got lost and 'borrowed'

lol - not guilty!

Ive got a variety of screwdrivers and supprisingly even the cheapo b&q ones have lasted and withstand a huge ammount of abuse.

Stanley for me!

The old 5000 series were best (red and blue cabinet maker style handles) I often pick the odd one up at car boot sales. The new ones are good, they feel nice and can takes lots of torque - just don't hit them with a hammer.

AD90

i have a set of red Mac Tools hard plastic jobbies. get used everyday for work, havnt work out even slightly, flat bladed generally get used as chisels/pry bars. they are completely bomb proof, i didnt go for snap on or mac "comfort" rubber screwdrivers as fluids kill the rubber. a little bit of brake cleaner on my mac ones and they come up brand new, every time. You need to get some un chromed screw drivers, i.e with the black tips. chrome flakes off and the screwdriver has then lost its shape. the way to test how good the tip is is to hold a philips screw horizontal, insert the screwdriver into it, and the screwdriver should not fall out of the screw, definately worth buying the Mac ones, will last forever, they are nearly 60 quid. but 2nd ones will be spot on. Im a mechanic so they get a good seeing too, they are butch, i wouldnt buy anything else

the way to test how good the tip is is to hold a philips screw horizontal, insert the screwdriver into it, and the screwdriver should not fall out of the screw

I've heard similar before. You should be able to undo a Phillips screw without appling pressure 'into' the screw, just by turning the handle. The effort required is as much about the shape of the tip of the screwdriver as it is about the shape of the handle.

I've heard similar before. You should be able to undo a Phillips screw without appling pressure 'into' the screw, just by turning the handle. The effort required is as much about the shape of the tip of the screwdriver as it is about the shape of the handle.

I bought some Wera Lasertip Pozidrive screwdrivers today.

They have sharp ridges on the tips and hold onto a screw until approx 15 degrees from pointing downwards. Mightly impressed with them. Expensive though. Beware that Wera also have cheaper product lines.

These replace a set up Bacho black&grey handle, that wore after light usage during the refurbishing of one apartment. However I have Bacho srewdrivers from the old days that are still going string despite lots of use and abuse.

right thats it i'm officialy Mildly miffed off with the cheapo screwdrivers i have and now want to invest in a decent set with a guarantee, the last straw was tightening a jubilee clip and the flat ended screw driver broke :angry: anyone any recommendations? i was thinking teng or snap-on or maybe kamasa?

I got some with yellow handles and hex nut on top at Fairyhouse sunday market for about €30. I have abused them in every manner, chiselin concrete, chippin weld spatter, anything they not meant t do and as general screwdrivers, dicky them up with the angle grinder and they grand for a bit longer. Seen the same with blue handles.