Are your mud tyres any good in the snow

Drakes

I thought my MT's were lots of fun - but I guess it depends on what you are after.

Massive traction in the snow they did not give - but they also did not give any nasty surprises. When they break traction it's quite gradual and you have lots of time to react.

Si

I'm with you Si, I think the BFG MT's are ok in these conditions too. They performed as expected.

Later in the day I didn't find driving the RR on AT2's radically different. I think it's all a bit subjective. ;) ;)

Steve

Traction difference in snow/ice with different tread patterns is so small as to be totally overshadowed by driving ability of driver. I have a maestro TD with 165/80 vredestien snow tyres , a 110 V8 with BFG MT and 300tdi auto with Maxxis AT , and difference in traction is all down to right foot , the 110 operates with snow plow as well.

The only thing that really makes a difference from experience is chains or studs , and the change is huge. esp with hard packed snow /ice . JMHO

BFG MTs on the 110 this morning much better than the P6000s on the Mazda the other night!

Went up a steep-ish snow covered hill this morning while driving sandbag to work and found a small Italian car coming back down with all wheels locked following a failed attempt to climb said hill due to lack of traction. The 110 went up OK in diff-lock despite being about twice the weight of the small Italian car, so I guess BFG MTs work better than Italian rubber.

Chris

My BFG muds were ok last time i drove in the snow on them (a while back) - traction isnt greqt but its acceptable. I can assure you they are more friendly in snow than my 225/45-17's on the audi - they are interesting but again with control over the right foot we managed to get over dartmoor and explored several places with both fresh snow and hard packed snow/ice up and down hills without any major dramas.

BFG MTs and a LSD are a recipe for chaos. Fun though.

Lucy drove home in the Freelander through some serious snow yesterday and said it never felt remotely like letting go, she only had the TC light come on once and that was becasue she was trying to make sure it was still working :)

The Freelander is using these:

Dunlop Wintersport

Will :)

Freelanders are bluddy good in the snow on just about any tyres, the transmission works a treat.

I'd say the later Range Rovers, with either Visco or TorSen are even better, because not FWD biassed. But their higher weight and CoG could make braking and cornering a tad more interesting.

Generally it depends on the depth of snow, The less the depth the more tyres that cut though work (skinny Muds) but may not work very well on Snow with ice underneath. Icelandics use wide mud tyre (not sure I understand why muds) give low surface pressure so that they don't sink into the snow.

From my own point of view I'm running BFG 285/75/R16 Muds the rears which have 60000 miles and are not to good in mud seem to grip well in snow but the fronts which have 10000 mile work well in mud but not well in the snow we had here in the midland which isn't to deep.

Traction difference in snow/ice with different tread patterns is so small as to be totally overshadowed by driving ability of driver. I have a maestro TD with 165/80 vredestien snow tyres , a 110 V8 with BFG MT and 300tdi auto with Maxxis AT , and difference in traction is all down to right foot , the 110 operates with snow plow as well.

The only thing that really makes a difference from experience is chains or studs , and the change is huge. esp with hard packed snow /ice . JMHO

sorry i would have to disagree on that.

i regularly go to france skiing and generally hire a car from chambrey airport to drive up to sainte foy - usually i get a focus. However depending on how busy the hire company is depends on if the focus has snow tyres or not, as snow tyred cars usually get snapped up quickly.

The difference between running on standard ford rubber and decent aftermarket snow tyres is VAST! On standard rubber i'll be getting the snow chains out as soon as i encounter hard packed ice or more than 3" of snow, with the snow tyres i can maintain decent grip and feel safe well past this and only put on the snow chains when the front valance is pushing a bank of powder in front of me!

BFG AT's on my 90 seemed fine, drove uphill along the lane to my house and not a sign of slip. Managed to park in my space which is on a fairly steep slope too with no bother. Loads of grip on fresh snow or recently compacted stuff, but as could be expected much less on proper ice. Still breezed the icy sections that 'normal' cars were having bother with...

:D

sorry i would have to disagree on that.

i regularly go to france skiing and generally hire a car from chambrey airport to drive up to sainte foy - usually i get a focus. However depending on how busy the hire company is depends on if the focus has snow tyres or not, as snow tyred cars usually get snapped up quickly.

The difference between running on standard ford rubber and decent aftermarket snow tyres is VAST! On standard rubber i'll be getting the snow chains out as soon as i encounter hard packed ice or more than 3" of snow, with the snow tyres i can maintain decent grip and feel safe well past this and only put on the snow chains when the front valance is pushing a bank of powder in front of me!

Would have to agree with that.

You may think your AT's MT's Cheng Slimes are good on snow, but untill

you've driven with proper snow tyres you can't compare them.

It's a bit like saying your MT tyres are great for the road, but never having driven

with proper road tyres on your vehicle.