Are your mud tyres any good in the snow

Drakes

I have run Khumo KL71s for the last 20000miles and have been very pkeased with them both on and off road but going out in the snow on them today it felt like someone had sandpapered all the tread off overnight, they were all over the road, yet my Disco on standard road tyres was much better.

My Goodyear G90's haven't been too bad today....... until I got over confident and took hard packed snow corner on a side road at 5-10mph :blink: , result was a scary understeering at the front. No harm done and lesson learnt. :rolleyes:

I think the next set wil be AT's for general use.

The G90's are a bit pants on tarmac in the wet also. But excellent in the mud.

Pete

When I came to Ireland I noticed that winter tires are completely unknown here.

Winter tires with siped tread have a purpose and won't be beaten in snow or on ice. (Except deep snow). If you would have a chance to compare you will find that it's a total difference.

Still I don't think that they are of importance here as for two snow days a year it would be uneconomic.

Drive carefully. :rolleyes:

Among "normal" tyres a good all terrain like the AT2 or BFG AT will be much better than MT's in general snow driving conditions. I really liked the AT2s on my Ranger last winter, it was tail happy in 2WD but in 4WD was completely planted. As always in snow you need to be aware of momentum versus available grip but of all the tyres I have tried they were one of the best. The BFG MTs on the 110 are far from the worst but nowhere near as good as the ATs and tend to break away quite suddenly.

I always laugh when I see the UK's roads grinding to a halt and all these modern cars sliding all over the road with ABS, traction control etc. I spent three years oop norf in Durham and had a couple of snowy winters, I used to take the back roads to get into town in my ancient Metro on 99p road tyres because I couldn't stand the 2hr 5mph procession on the main roads, never had a problem once though it would belly out in any deeper snowdrifts which meant you had to take a bit of a run up in places and of course steep climbs with front wheel drive were a no-no. Anything up to about 4-5in of snow never caused too much bother and I never got stuck once.

As I have tried to explain countless times, just because a tyre has M+S

written on it doesn't mean it is any good in the snow.

General Grabber ATII is a good compromise, but still no snow tyre.

Drive carefully.

yesterday i was caught out with the snow while in my auto saab with traction control and winter setting. very nervous and slippy but i made it home - phew.

today i was out and about on back roads etc in the 90 with bfg at's and no problems at all, very confident grip up hills but i took the downhills slowly using the gears and no issues, just one little bit of front end slippage on an adverse camber. :blink:

ive got my front axle in pieces today but last time we had a bit of snow, my insa saharas actually got up a 45 degree hill in 3 inches of snow and it was planted on the drive (we have a big drive) but the tractors struggled to pull a milk tanker (empty) across the flat.

mikey

i must say.. my general grabber a/t'2 are fantastic.. in the snow and ice.. i was very pleased with them to my prevoise bfg track edge.. how ever when i drove my mother 90 with bfg muds.. was carp.. all over the shot..over 20-30mph no faster or youll be in a ditch. and my intentoin was pull people out ditches not put myself in one lol.. over all the grabbers where great..

I thought my MT's were lots of fun - but I guess it depends on what you are after.

Massive traction in the snow they did not give - but they also did not give any nasty surprises. When they break traction it's quite gradual and you have lots of time to react.

Si

We don't get to much snow in Flanders, but I'll share anyway. :ph34r:

Few years back, when I just got the Defender, I was surprised at the traction and stability with the BFG MTs compared to a normal car on good tyres.

This year we had some heavier snow, up to 10 cms, and I drove a 90 on Michelin O/R. I preferred the BFGs, took too much effort to keep traction in corners to be comfortable. I was however able to make fun of some Hyundai SUV who struggled to get going at a light, while I just pulled towing a trailer. :i-m_so_happy:

On the Range, I've had BFG ATs, very happy with those, and now General Grabber UHP, not bad in snow either and better in the rain. If it has snowed during the night, the left lane when going to work is usually not cleared and hardly used. With the Range, I can use it without having to worry about grip and actually get to work faster than on a normal day.