How do you legalise an illegal tax exempt.......

ChrisV8

Been asked this question ..................... An illegal tax exempt 90, normal problem has tax exempt nr plate and nothing else from the original vehicle, 90 chassis, tdi engine, gearbox, axles etc etc. Bought in good faith to use until I told him I thought it was totally illegal from a registration and VOSA/DVLA point of view.

Is there any legal way he can now approach VOSA presumably to get this declared as a Q plate special ?

My knowledge is very sketchy, he hasn't built it but can it be SVA'd ?

I assume if it has a VIC check he has to take his chances on them finding stolen bits etc etc and may well lose the vehicle ?

People who know this backwards will be along shortly I'm sure - but in the mean time...

Is there anyway he can find the chassis numbers and run them to find out what the 90 was ? - then check what its listed as.

He might fall lucky and be able to send for the V5 and swap its identity back. If the majority of the truck is from one 90 and its just been a plate swap then the original registration is probably just languishing ?

Hmmm! Just entered the VIN from my 1986 Ninety into that site.

It came back telling me it's a 1980 model! It did at least say it's a Landrover...

The example vin is supposedly an 1980 XJ6 - but they didn't make a 4.0 litre XJ6 in 1980

If the vehicle is to all intents a "standard 90" ie made up of "90" parts, then providing the chassis no' is still intact on the chassis, the chassis is not stolen or the vehicle it's from is not a cat A or B write off, then you could apply to DVLA for the original V5/reg no'.

Would need a covering letter explaining the situation and provide a reciept for the vehicle as bought.

I'd expect a VIC at least.

If no original vehicle identity can be established then it's SVA time.

Oh and you need to inform DVLA that the vehicle that the current reg SHOULD relate to has been scrapped.

If you want to try and make the vehicle legal, then the first step is to contact VOSA and the DVLA and talk to them. They are the only people who can determine your fate.

Are you sure? I would have thought they would be most upset with someone saying that they have a totally illegal vehicle which is either a ringer or made up of stolen parts.

and how else would you suggest getting it legal?

VOSA and the DVLA are the bodies that make these decisions! Just sending off for a new V5 wont make it legal - you are obliged to declare all mods to the DVLA, even if there isn't a tick box for it ont he V5 - the notes for guidance that come with the V5 expressly state that you should declare all mods that don't fit on the form in a covering letter.

Write to the DVLa declaring all mods and see what happens.

I'd start by SORN'ing it and taking it off the road, that way you can leave a respectable gap and then contact the DVLA/VOSA. If you were to contact them while it is still taxed for free you could leave yourself open to having to pay the back tax

I would start with finding the vin as mentioned before, because then there is a history known. Find out the whereabouts of the VIN before you go to the DVLA. If the VIN is not known, than what you have is a ringer, which could have been stolen. In that case youre in a bit of a problem. In any case, if you go to the DVLA, make sure you have all the paperwork, the invoice and all the details who you got it from etc. I dont think you need the VOSA at all, the DVLA are the ones you need for this. It takes some guts to walk in the DVLA office, because once you told them the story, there is no way back. But it is the choice of having a lot of trouble now or really big trouble later.

Daan

and how else would you suggest getting it legal?

Go to your local police station and ask them to check it.

Step back a minute -

"how do I legalise an illegal vehicle?"

Is this the forum that explains how to ring vehicles? Perhaps we should be giving tips on how to steal the vehicles too? Where to get dodgy mot's?

maybe the title needs to be -- how do I ensure the vehicle I've bought is fully legal.

I would find all the serial numbers first

engine

gearbox

transferbox

front & rear axles

chassis.

check engine & chassis numbers with any paperwork that came with the vehicle & the V5 reg document & any old & current MOT certificates

then visit your nearest VRO [vehicle registration office] or contact DVLA vehicle enquires department.

Go to your local police station and ask them to check it

They can only take it so far - if the actual ID of the chassis is too old, it may have dropped of the database that the DVLA give the police access to. Once a vehicle has had no admin movement for a certain period of time (change of owner, address, VEL, etc) it disappears. Only the DVLA will hold all of the info. It happens a lot with old cars found in farmers' hedges.

I can see this all ending badly. Wasn't there a 90 going cheap on Ebay recently that had suffered this same fate? IIRC the seller had bought it in good faith but it turned out that the thing was made up from parts from different sources and the only pre 1972 parts on the car were the number plates. I think the DVLA had refused to give him a new reg number.

I'd be inclined to consult my local Citizens Advice bureau about the possibility of getting my money back from the person I bought the car from.

Thanks for all the responses, I think the guy is stuffed basically, doubtful if the seller will repay, "buyer beware" etc and if he takes it for an MOT then the garage are likely to uncover the whole sorry issue. I didn't inspect the vehicle in detail but I hazard a guess there will be problems.

He has a few options I think, try and get his money back, doubtful : get in touch with DVLA etc etc and take the hit if it is a ringer : or SORN it and just use it on his own land and eventually dismantle it.

My option I think would be the latter but I think a salutory lesson has been learnt all be it totally innocently. :(:(

Thanks for all the responses, I think the guy is stuffed basically, doubtful if the seller will repay, "buyer beware" etc

If the seller described the car as tax exempt, pre 1972 etc. then he was misrepesenting the goods. The buyer is entitled to compensation from the seller - as long as he bought it after 1st January 1894, which I presume he did.

Sale of Goods Act, Sect. 13

Source

I think everyone's being a bit quick to assume it's all stolen parts.

If the original builder legally obtained all the parts and they were all like for like with the vehicle the chassis came from, then the vehicle "could" still claim its chassis's original reg.

Wont know until you try.

If however it is a ringer then by quietly disposing of it you leave the thief that built it free to do it again.

I think everyone's being a bit quick to assume it's all stolen parts.

If the original builder legally obtained all the parts and they were all like for like with the vehicle the chassis came from, then the vehicle "could" still claim its chassis's original reg.

Wont know until you try.

If however it is a ringer then by quietly disposing of it you leave the thief that built it free to do it again.

If it were me, I'd want the seller's head on a plate :angry: