Forum South West Challenge 2 (FSWC2)

JST

Top event James and Tony , Very well organized and laid out . Not to much damage to report this time , brakeshaft on front winch came out and redesigned front wings .

So whens the next one then ???

Any chance of emailing me a result spread sheet,

Cheers Jase, :D

got to agree with that, was a very good event, not too much damage to report just a few bruises and a 12mm rope shortened, well done to all involved with organising and setting out.

can i have a result spread sheet too please

When James gets home from punch collecting I'm sure he'll post up a full results sheet so everyone can see where they came.

I'll post all my pics later this evening during a break at work.

My thanks to Si for the prizes Jim for the food JohnT for help marshalling and to James for organising and being very easy to work with.

Excellent event, big thanks to James for organising it and to all those other who helped make the day happen, setting out, marshalling, providing lunch, etc.

I didn't take many pics, but here a couple of the Bishtail in the morning

bish1.jpg

bish2.jpg

And this is how it spent the afternoon :(

bish3.jpg

Firstly, a big thanks to James for all the organisation and setting up and to Tony and the other Marshalls for making it a great day (despite the afternoons antics or lack there of. :blink: )

As you can probaly gather, we did make it home, and under our own steam too. A huge thank you to every one who helped me out when the wheel bearing decided to pack its bags, especially Nigel for his judicious use of a HUGE chisel :blink: but also to Jim for ferrying me into Taunton in such style B) to get some grease and to Jay and Steve for their help and other stuff (btw, that ribbon of emery paper is ace, where can I get some?)

We had a steady morning with a LOT of winching up a LOT of steep slopes but we got all the punches we found.

Lunchtime found us examining a oil leak from the OSR hub to find the inner bearing had gone south in an impressive way and the inner race had become fondly attached to the stub axle. :(

We (well, Nigel :D ) finally managed to persuade it to part company with the stub axle and we "helped" the hub and new bearings back onto a "modified" :blink: stub axle to enable us to get home.

Thanks to John for following us up the M5 to make sure no more bits fell off my wagon (although the cable tie on the rear prop was a bit low! Not that I heard it - Mark had to tell me when we got back so ner :P:P )

Lastly, a big thanks to Mark for co-driving - you made it look easy!!! :lol:

Anyone got a (10 spline if that is relevant) ABS RR stub axle and hub they want to re home..?

Only just in, after walking a cross country horsy course :blink:

Excellent days sport,, thanks all, organizers and fellow competitors,

Did not bust anything, bar a rear fog and number plate lamp .o and a larger ding in the l/h f wing ..

looking forward to results, so long as not last !! :(

Well it seems most enjoyed themselves

which makes walking around the woods for a number of hours worthwhile.

Nice to see everyone again hopefully not to long before the next one.

I took a fair few pics here are a sample:

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

I'd Like to thank James & Tony for setting up and setting out the whole thing. Simon & I had a brilliant day - with no stress and the only broken thing was a wing mirror, which serves me right for not fitting one of the unbreakable ones.

We informally teamed up with Bob & Dawn (who said they were lurkers here) who both Simon & I thought were good fun, they worked hard and despite it being their first challenge event - did F well. They helped keep the whole day stress free (which as some of you know seems to have been a feature of some of our previous events!) - so if you two read this - Well done! Have a house-point each!

Si

Tim we had the rear winch through a snatch block back to the roll cage and the front winch holding the front up.

This punch took us about an hour and a quarter to do both sides of the car and at one point I was up to my nipples in that very cold water and still sinking into the sandy bottom.

We had a few starter problems after emerging from the water so we snatch blocked up out of the gully tried to short the starter with no joy. So we have to give a big thank you to pete (Bathtub) for winching us through the trees and towing us back to the start so that we could fix the car and change into some dry clothes. A bit late for Fish and Chips but we did stop for half an hour for dinner.

Excellent event well done lads

Well , all I can say is your deserve the 2nd place ,, well done !!

and my bitch was complained when he fell into the swap bit, full frontal !!! :lol:

And 3rd to Jas, even with being parked up for 20 mins odd with the front winch problem,, well done !! :)

What can I say, top event, well set out, well run, good site and home in 45mins and down the pub after !

Spot on James / Tony plus others who helped.

Look forward to next one?

Many thanks Russ :D

Well firstly I would like to say cheers to Tony for helping setup and run the day, Si for the excellent prizes and vehicle stickers (please note these were all donated and did not come out of your entry fees!) John T for running section C, Jim for excellent scran! and importantly Challenge South West for allowing me to run the Challenge under their club rules and regs (Nigel, Russell - thank you) And finally to all the competitors for coming along, making the most of it and most importantly keeping the landowner happy.

Hopefully the course catered for all, there was the traditional style layout with lots of punches in the same immediate area (Site D) and then others were spaced out where you had to get out and look for them. In site B there was 1 punch drive in and drive out punch that only 1 vehicle found! Therefore for 5mins walking and no winching max points!

Out of interest all the punches were achieved in the day with the most one vehicle achieving 34 both side of total 40 punches. Walfy please note std vehicle below achieving that impossible one:

Steve2Small.jpg

Stevepunch6Small.jpg

The score sheet is still on the laptop and I need to double check the scores 4th to 19 before I will publish them here. So wait out.

Here some of my pics from the day:

Site D

Bathtub Pete

Bathtub1Small.jpg

Bathtub2Small.jpg

Bathtub3Small.jpg

Bathtub4Small.jpg

Pod (2nd overall)

Pod1Small.jpg

Pod2Small.jpg

Dunster steves

Steve1Small.jpg

Russell & Lewis (1st Overall)

Russell2Small.jpg

Russell1Small.jpg

Julain Vardy

Julian2Small.jpg

Site B

Ciderman (3rd Overall)

JaseSmall.jpg

Jay

JaySmall.jpg

Mike D

MikeSmall.jpg

Julain Vardy

JulianSmall.jpg

and finally 'Tim you have 6 mins to get back to the start and i wouldnt go that way!'

Ok! But i think i will make it this way..........

TimSmall.jpg

So it seems most enjoyed the day, sorry i didnt get photos of all i didnt even see any vehicles in Site C!

Its interesting when you collect in the punches to note how people have attacked the punch and not always as expected when they are set out, its also interesting to note the tyre marks going straight through certain areas to punches…….. especially when you look back through the score cards and see who the only one or two people were to get that punch! You may get away with it on the day but people know….

As I eluded to at the start the landowner was very happy, so I will certainly be looking to run another event towards the back end of this year at this site, I may even use the same 4 areas as it appears not all visited/punched in all the areas!

RESULTS

Overall Positions

1. Russel & Lewis (RJL) 1211

2. Adrain (Pod) 1051

3. Jason Farr (Ciderman) 627

4. Julian Vardy 508

5. Tim Jones 423

6. Mike Dunlop 382

7. Nigel Woodhead 358

8. Nigel Webber 357

9 Bathtub Pete 328

10 Dunster Steve 274

11 Treebloke 368

12 Simon R 249

13 John Bicketon (Turbo Charger) 224

14 Jay (Exmoor Cop) 219

15 Dave Stevens 209

16 Paul Radford 194

17 BishBosh 121

18 Walfy 94

19 Ad Pope 91

Std Class results

1. RJL

2. Mike Dunlop

3. Nigel Woodhead

4 Nigel Webber

5 Dunster Steve

6 Paul Radford

7 Ad Pope

Modified Results

1. Pod

2. Ciderman

3. Julian Vardy

4. Tim Jones

5. Bathtub

6. Treebloke

7. Si R

8. Turbocharger

9. Jay

10. Dave Stevens

11. Bishbosh

12. Walfy

Once i haver sorted my home networking i will get the spreadsheet sent out to all on the email distr list i have.

33 (Site D water punch) and No 27 were two punches only achived both sides by one vehicle driven by Pod.

85% of total score was given to Modified class for overall results, as there were 6 punches that were deemed unacheiveable by std vehicle.

Points for being late in at the end were deducted from Walfy, Ad Pope, Bathtub, Si R, Treebloke -50pts for under 15mins late, and Julain Vardy -100 points for over 15mins late.

As said before, thanks immensely to James and Tony for some excellent punches, including some impossible punches which needed wheel spinning, winches and body damage to discover that there was an easier route and it was possible to just drive there :huh: and one 'just a quickie' which took over an hour and made us late for lunch.

The site is excellent, although all the woodland has 2ft of wood mulch on the surface which made traction (especially lateral traction on sideslopes!) a huge issue for us. Then there were the boggy bits, which often looked innocuous but swallowed tyres.

My snaps:

060520061041.jpg

060520061042.jpg

060520061044.jpg

^^ We looked at this punch and decided to go elsewhere...

winchrig.jpg

^^ Getting a tree exactly where you wanted one wasn't always easy.

060520061054.jpg

^^ From attempting the unreachable punch that we just drove to from a different direction

060520061052.jpg

^^ That's funny, everyone's fixing Charlie's car but he's nowhere to be seen :P Seriously, it was fantastic to see everyone pull together and produce from nowhere tools, parts, consumables and aid. The cable tie was supposed to set off that 'I'm sure there's something wrong' hypersensitity to strange noises that field repairs bring but, as Charlie has shown, if there's no lights on the dashboard there isn't anything wrong. :rolleyes:

Finally, respect to Jim (Pugwash) for going everywhere in his chip van. How about it Jim, 185/75R13 MTs and a little 6000lb winch on the front?

Me and the Mrs had a great day and would like to say thanks to everyone involved. Its good to go some where a complete stranger and come away with a smile on your face knowing there are people we will see again with stories to swap.

I think it was our fault some were late back and picked up penalty points, especially Si and Si. Our clutch slave cylinder failed and various people stopped to help.

We had a good night at the pub the evening before with Si and Si (pity about the tic tacs though, Si kept shaking his tic taks at us). Never known a guy mix so many soft drinks.

We hope to be back again for the next one.

Ive got the Mrs in training for running up and down those banks with the winch cable, fitted and Warn 9000i at the bottom of the stairs, so you can all look out next time.

Thanks for the day

Bob (treebloke)