Galvanised chassis swap

Hi All,

I am very close to ordering a new chassis for my project. But there are so many chassis suppliers! Before I spend all my hard earned savings in one go, I wanted to start up a discussion on which companies chassis is the best??!!

A friend of mine has said Richards Chassis are very good, but i have seen that the Marslands ones have a new design gearbox x-member and adjustable rear x-member to tub mounts. Are these just gimmicks which, on an accurate, well-made chassis are not needed??

Anyway, I'm discussing too much and not listening to you all enough!!

Any other info/secrets that people who have done this know please tell!!

Adam

A looong time ago now a friend but a galv Richards chassis under his hybrid Series. Got one with a removeable gearbox crossmember that has proven to be very handy.

One thing to bear in mind with a galv chassis is that you will have to re-drill a lot of the hole before bolting anything on again as the galv does slightly fill the holes.

Last time this came up elsewhere the consensus seemed to be that Marslands were slightly cheaper but you had to drill out all the holes and their customer service was average. Richards Chassis were slightly more expensive but came ready to fit and customer service was excellent.

I'm about to order a new 90 chassis in the next month or so, I'll be ordering from Richards.

Excellent, thanks for your inputs guys! Just placed my order with Richards! 4-5 weeks wait that I wasn't ready for but I suppose I have a fair bit more to get on with before it gets down to me. I will be putting my pics up here as a sort of picture diary, so if anyone else has any info/advice/things to remember that would be helpful during my build please post away!

Theres no such thing as bad advice!

I do have some questions up front though;

Does anyone ever paint their galv chassis as a second layer of protection?

Does a list of all bolts used in a defender exist? I want to (need to) replace all of them really and I wanted to place a bulk order with a Nut and Bolt company.

Cheers again!

Adam.

Excellent, thanks for your inputs guys! Just placed my order with Richards! 4-5 weeks wait that I wasn't ready for but I suppose I have a fair bit more to get on with before it gets down to me. I will be putting my pics up here as a sort of picture diary, so if anyone else has any info/advice/things to remember that would be helpful during my build please post away!

Theres no such thing as bad advice!

I do have some questions up front though;

Does anyone ever paint their galv chassis as a second layer of protection?

Does a list of all bolts used in a defender exist? I want to (need to) replace all of them really and I wanted to place a bulk order with a Nut and Bolt company.

Cheers again!

Adam.

It is very difficult / need the correct paint / primer / method to get paint to stick to newly dipped galvanised steel (chassis). When I got bits galvanised for the nas I also instructed the galvaniser to powder coat black so they knew what treatment to use for the paint. If Richards cannot / unwilling to powder coat their own galvanising then I would not bother. If you get it wrong you will have paint falling off all the time and why paint when the galvanising is there to stop corrosion. If you offroad and slide the chassis in mud / stone you might get a bit of corrosion on bottom of chassis rails but easy to fix. After 2 or 3 years you could add some paint, there must be some volatiles in the galvanising that disappear in time.

It is very difficult / need the correct paint / primer / method to get paint to stick to newly dipped galvanised steel (chassis). When I got bits galvanised for the nas I also instructed the galvaniser to powder coat black so they knew what treatment to use for the paint. If Richards cannot / unwilling to powder coat their own galvanising then I would not bother. If you get it wrong you will have paint falling off all the time and why paint when the galvanising is there to stop corrosion. If you offroad and slide the chassis in mud / stone you might get a bit of corrosion on bottom of chassis rails but easy to fix. After 2 or 3 years you could add some paint, there must be some volatiles in the galvanising that disappear in time.

'Weatherd' galvanizing accepts oil paint beautifully. commonly done on marine applications.

If I wanted to tone a new one down a bit, then I might try a few of those Waxoil UNDERSEAL spray tins (not the standard grade) on the obvious bits.

I use it on the outside of my 300TdiDef rear cross member and it's good, it sets, and with a layer of filth on, it just looks original.

After a couple of years, I would spray Fluid film, or whatever I fancied at the time, INSIDE the chassis legs. Condensation forms inside there, and 'things' might just need a little help.

'Fluid film' in it's various forms is good stuff.

Howard.

2X300TdiDef90.

how few parts can you break a 90, my 90!, down into so that it savesa recinstruction time. My chassis on my 90's going rusty and before it gets a problem i'd like to strip it down and get it galved. Or would it be better to have another one to swap onto, bearing in mind all the mods i've had done?

how few parts can you break a 90, my 90!, down into so that it savesa recinstruction time. My chassis on my 90's going rusty and before it gets a problem i'd like to strip it down and get it galved. Or would it be better to have another one to swap onto, bearing in mind all the mods i've had done?

One of our club members got a bare (ungalvanised) chassis from Richards so he could modify it. Once the modifications are done he can return it to them and they'll galvanise it. Worth asking about if you need to make a lot of mods ?

• 2 weeks later...

Ihave seen that some companies literally disconnect the body (plus electrics etc) and winch it off the chassis, replace the chassis and winch it back down. I am not set up to do this at all so I have broken mine down to: Tub, seatbox, Bulkhead (Wings, sills attached), Roof (Windscreen and sides attached). I'm sure you could do less breaking than that but somethings on mine had to come apart for reconditioning or access to crusty bolts... Now I have a rolling chassi and I think you need a new one to swap over from here.... HTH

Alan, FWIW the 90 is mine and we used a Richards chassis which fitted perfectly which is just as well when you've got no time allotted to tweaking things till they fit. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or the HOFS team for doing the impossible.

Enjoy the build and post pics :D

I've recently started my build onto a galv chassis and wanted to paint it black.

In the end i purchased some Blackfriars Galvanised Metal Primer and then some of their QD90 metal paint in gloss black. I hope this will do the job. The chassis has lain in the shed for over a year, so its not tank fresh galv either, which i presume will help the adhesion of the paint.

Last bank holiday I built my 90 onto a new galv chassis. it took me (on my own) around 35hrs of work start to end, that included fitting X springs and arms in the process, as well as replacing the A frame ball joint.

I lifted the body off in one, simply removing the front panel, using a gantry i lifted the body at the bulkhead with a chain blockoff a gantry. Using an engine crane, lifted the rear off via the spare wheel mount. My back door was knackered and i figured if it broke it wouldn't matter. It held suprisingly well and i rested the body down on 45gallon oil drums for the time it was off.

A very satisfying job and I am extremely pleased with the results. No record breaking time, but a thoroughly well executed job and haven't had any snags since fitment. All the doors shut as they did so the body strong enough to endure being lifted off.

I would say make sure all the packers on the body mounts go back the way they came out and be prepared for a nightmare with shock absorbers. Make sure you have anti freeze, brake fluid, and plenty of penetrating oil or diesel. Use as many new bolts and nuts as possible (M8 x 30 is your friend!) A couple of new jubilee's for the fuel filler and vent come in handy.