Is this forum senescing

honitonhobbit

I like to pop in every couple of hour or so just to see what quality posts have been made and laugh at the mindless drivel.

Over the last month this forum seems to be quietly slipping away.

This is the weekend. On ORRP there have been hundreds of posts in the last couple of hours. On the SA forums so many that it takes 20 minutes to catch up - even the Russina 4x4 forums are all a chatter.

I pop back here and once I have moved the tumble weed out of the way, I have to search for new posts.

What is going on eh?

I like to pop in every couple of hour or so just to see what quality posts have been made and laugh at the mindless drivel.

This is the weekend. On ORRP there have been hundreds of posts in the last couple of hours. On the SA forums so many that it takes 20 minutes to catch up - even the Russina 4x4 forums are all a chatter.

I pop back here and once I have moved the tumble weed out of the way, I have to search for new posts.

What is going on eh?

Sorry i have been out all day!

Normal Drivel will now be resumed ! :P:D:lol:

I reckon that forums tend to go in cycles. I follow a few & you get good & bad patches on all of them, even ORRP has its slack bits, mind you that may be due to what sort of posts you look for, ORRP has no shortage of mindless drivel but gets very slow at times on nuts & bolts Land Rover matters. Each forum seems to have its own character & even that can be a bit of a moving target at times. I find I go ages without posting 'cause there is nothing I want to say & then I do a whole rash of posts all at once. Hell, just thought, maybe its me going in cycles :D :D

Cheers, Steve

What is going on eh?

If you want to see tumble weed go and check previously very busy sites that existed before this one did.

why not shove something up decent? some pics of your work at OEC perhaps?

your winch post was genuinely intresting. and there are many more.

I agree there is an amount of posts that may be better as PM's but this place being independant welcomes all.

ORRP is doing fine which is great.

sorry, was out yesterday at a show and last night getting rather drunk and playing silly games, I will get straight outside and see what I can try and cut off my body today with an angle grinder.

You just can't please some people :rolleyes:

remember to take a camera.

Had your first crash yet?

now there's an idea for a thread

not yet :P

got to run the gauntlet of the DVLA next week :unsure: may post up a thread about getting an age related number via lessons learned :)

Just out of interest, which of your two categories would this thread fall into?

Well it seems to have attracted a bit of the latter but it was actually intended as a serious question. There was no suggestion of comparison with 'a certain other forum' (Tony :( ).

This forum has been creating it's own niche quite nicely - a pleasant surprise - but it has quietened down quite a bit recently hence the question.

senescing - is the gradual vegetative breakdown that occurs in plant material once maturity is reached. I was likening the forum to a tree and questioning whether is had finally developed as far as it could and was now experiencing the slow, gradual decline to nothing.

senescing - is the gradual vegetative breakdown that occurs in plant material once maturity is reached.

You are now liking senesing, to yourself are you David ??? now that you are "over the hill" :D:lol::P

opps sorry, this is drivel!!!

coat on,,,, and gone !!!

IMO this forum has bever been as active before LRE pulled the carpet from under its feet. IIRC there was a split into 2 fora (pl?), this one and theother one. I don't look into the other one as it seem mostly the same folks post and on occassion the same stuff so does not seem much point me going there to look at duplicate posts.

Personally I try to post when I have something useful to say or some tech Qs to ask at least

(erm,although the 2nd suits me more,sigh...)

<_<

I think there's nothing to worry about,I much prefer less hi-qu threads than hundred news everyday but mainly chit-chat...

It's always a good chance to dig through the old posts and get the time to reflect on things and take notes.

Sometimes I struggle to keep up with all the stuff and I miss something along the way

:(

I dont think i've ever seen a decent post on ORRP to be honnest

Difficult to see anything through the unnecessary profanity IMHO

Fair point, not everyone can see past the profanity, and that is why there are other forums.

Fair point, not everyone can see past the profanity, and that is why there are other forums.

I couldn't agree more with AJL. I wonder if there is anything at all TO see past the profanity? I don't mind profanity, and I think we all know I speak my mind :P - it just seems so OTT and unnecessary on ORRP. Someone will ask about something and someone else will reply with a seemingly random selection of insults, then everyone has a big laugh, and the tech content percentage remains in the low single digits (fair enough for those who like it).

Just all seems a little 'playground' to me. :huh::ph34r: To each, his own.

I don't think this forum is waning - maybe a little less in the last few days, but they all go through fazes. No big deal. It's the members that make it good - i.e. the value of responses to a question. If no-one has a Q for a couple of days, no big deal. When they do, it'll still get valuable input in the future.

[ok, value is a question of perspective...] :D:ph34r:

Al.

Not sure I'd fully agree with Al's comment.

There have been some very constructive threads on ORRP - and a lot of advise and free help. But you do have to avoid a bit of banter to find it.

the tech content percentage remains in the low single digits (fair enough for those who like it).

Exactly, ORRP isn't all about LR tech (but wouldn't the world be a dull place if all you could talk about was LR tech?) although it does have some useful tech and some very knowledgable regulars, some of whom post on other more exclusively tech boards too. If you want just tech there's more boards than you can shake a stick at offering tech. ORRP offers something different, probably why there's a number of regulars who don't even own a LR/4x4, granted it's not to everyones taste, like I said not everyone sees past the profanity and banter.