angle grinders

hobson

I'm going to be treating myself to one of the most improtant Land Rover tools (alongside a lump hammer!) and though i've had may before, they've been the cheaper kind (£15-20) that work for a few months and then die.

so can anyone recommend a good one? or is it just best to keep getting cheap ones? i don't mind spending a bit if it's worth it...

I have always been more than happy with the cheap ones from screwfix- the brand has changed over the years... Ferm, Power Devil, Titan, Direct Power etc. etc.

I like to have a few at any one time so that I don't have to keep changing discs etc and could not afford to have four decent ones lying around- mine have always lasted very well and i am not exactly gentle with them!

Guest noggy

I currently use 2 Hitachis they are the best ive used. Ive always thought to myself i ought to buy a new one, so i have then used it broke it and had to go back to the old Hitachi... they seem to be bloomin hard to break!

Got a 2 hitachi drills aswell... and accept for having to tighten the bushes (once in 3 years) as they vibrate loose they are extremely good and powerful.

I bought 2 x from wickes at £15 buy one get one free FFS

and a 2 year guarantee - used one so hard it got so hot I put a welding glove on :lol:

to contuinue and it still didn't die. Bosch blue fell apart, and frankly I am daft enough to drop / drive over them so

I buy cheap as I can.

However, some cheap ones have small Motors so check, I have a power devil one thats prob 10 yrs old, and was £9.99

frankly if any of them (have 5) die just shrug shoulders and buy another 1/or 2 dependant on deal price when they go pop :)

So far thread seems 50/50 re cheap vs expensive, :rofl:

Nige

Screwfix have blue bosch on offer for a tenner less at £39 quid at the moment

although i have to say i'm more of the persuasion of getting a cheaper one and replacing when necassary, shame I missed a hitachi one at wickes for half price

Hitachi are better than makita at the moment.

makita have dropped the thermal cutout and can burn out. Also the gearboxes can fail fairly often. Which is handy in a way as I've made up a couple from 4 dead ones!!

DeWalt are very good too - despite being black and decker!

Bosch are slipping a bit in quality, still good but capacitors can fail, as can switchgear/ bush housings.

I use a mix of Hitachi/Bosch and ALDI cheapo. I use the cheapo for really rough stuff, cleaning up rust etc. Hitachi for Serious cutting and the Bosch for dainty work as it is light and small, compared to the others.

Horses for courses. Buy three Aldi/Lidl, keep receipt and bring back after 2 years for your money back.

G.

I have a Metabo - which is excellent, and by far the nicest to use - was the most espensive one screwfix did at the time. ~£80 used for cutting and wire brushing

I have one which I cannot remember the name of which is supposed to be made by makita, but half the price and was on offer in screwfix at that point in time. Works very well, no complaints. not as nice to use as the metabo. ~£35 used for grinding and wire brushing.

I also have a Powerbase one from homebase. Only gets used for sanding, but only cos I always need a sander. Despite abuse and getting warm, it seems to refuse to die, and is now about 6 years old. ~£20

The more expensive machines are far nicer to use than the loud vibrating cheap machines, but the cheapo's do the job for very little money.

All the above are 4.5" grinders, but I also have a 9" Makita which is a lovely bit of kit. If you end up using a big grinder, it's worth paying the money for a decent one. The difference between the makita and the B&Q cheapo one I used to use is amazing.

Cheers

Mark

In my experience the Clarke ones are rubbish, one actually caught fire, my wickes cheapies are still going strong 3 years later, IIRC they were 2 for £15 and I bought the 9" one for £20, it got drowned when my shed leaked but still worked fine!

Mike

We have killed most in site and in the workshop, Hitachi have been by far the best for us, the smaller (500odd watt one) being very nice to use.

We like them so much we have just recently bought 2 of those twin packs and ordered £800 of stuff from screwfix so we got 2 free hitachi drill sets to go with the existing battery sds and drill/driver set that is also standing up to site and fabrication abuse well.

I think its fair to say we are impressed with the hitachi gear! :rolleyes:

Will.

I baught a Powerbase (homebase own brand) one about 4 years ago for about 15 quid, it lasted about 18months and the trigger got a bit funny, it would cutout and back in randomly making it a bit dangerous to use. Went and blagged another one as a warranty replacement and its still going strong.

Perhaps not as nice to use as the more expensive ones (i've no idea as i've never used one) but it means that i'm not particularly worried about breaking it.

I'm going to be treating myself to one of the most improtant Land Rover tools (alongside a lump hammer!) and though i've had may before, they've been the cheaper kind (£15-20) that work for a few months and then die.

so can anyone recommend a good one? or is it just best to keep getting cheap ones? i don't mind spending a bit if it's worth it...

I have two green Bosch 115 mm/4.5" grinders that I inherited many years ago. They keep on working flawless.

The 115 mm/4.5" size is good for working around Land Rovers and other machinery. They are small enough that you can reach most rusty bolts that has to be removed and they are fine for running wirebrushes and the like.

For making larger cuts with good access a larger grinder is better.

I agree that you need a couple of grinders, switching tools mid job is a pain.

Loads of B&Q/MAC/performance pro has expired on me eventually. All on power control/electronics not mechanical

Grinder x3

Dremel copy

Battery drill

had to take a 9" grinder back unused as the drive shaft was bent and using it with a cutting disc would have shattered it!

Makita are good midrange grinders.

The more powerful (and more expensive) Hitachi ones the best I've use - I have a very good 1900w 41/2" grinder with a 9" type trigger switch on it which is a bit safer then the normal push-the-switch-and -it-stays-on type.

gallery_1618_185_11596.jpg