Hoover for workshop - Any bargains ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Today was "Clean the sh**theap laughingly called my workshop" day

Started with a shovel and bin :lol:, finished with a hoovering :unsure:

Then, when hoovering there was an almightly "POP :ph34r: " from my old Dyson cylinder

and some acrid smoke,horrible burning smell and the motor slowed, popped

one last time and died :blink:

So, I need a new one, something that will suck up swarf, nuts bolts,

bits of metal, more swarf broken drill bits, screws, more swarf, and things

even I don't know what they were or how they got there :ph34r:

Cheap would be good, but this one (I was given) has lasted only 12 months

not bad you may say - but I don't tidy up too often :rofl:

Any ideas, the "SWMBO" model is off limits on pain of ....

- well pain basically and loads of it it I so much as look at

it - let alone touch it :D

Models ...where from...., prices,.... and recomendations please

Nige

Nah, he won't go for that, no portal / MS opportunities! Can you imagine ...

Try item 270452510678 instead ...

One word - Freecycle.

System run through Yahoo groups. You put an add on saying what you want/need and people who have said item going spare will get in touvch offering it to you for free.

OK, you might not get the most up to date Dyson Super Duper model, but you will get something that will do the job for nothing more than the cost of the fuel to go pick it up. And if it breaks six months down the line, you ask again.

HTH,

Paul

Lidl do a good unit occasionally, just made of blown plastic (so lightweight), no bags, and has auto on/off when a power tool is connected to the pass-through power socket, very very handy and well worth looking out for.

That's if you're not in a hurry :)

I've had a Earlex vacuum for nearly 10 years, it refuses to die. It was bought as a short term item until I could afford something better but have never needed to.

I think they are about £40, they are wet'n'dry and have a replaceble filter, I have always used it with the optional filter, about £10 I think. It can also be arranged to blow.

Filter needs tapping when it gets blocked and although they tell you not to I get the air line on it aswell.

Its been used and abused in the course of my work as builder, I think its biggest attribute is its simplicity, its just a big motor on a plastic bucket.

The tools are cheap and nasty and the mains lead is criminally short, but for a cheap, robust and fuctional bit of kit I can recommend them.

Argos, B&Q ,Machine Mart Etc.

Henrys dont need bags, they run just fine with only the cotton filter basket installed. The "henry" model isnt wet/dry, but they do similar machines that will do wet with a different basket.

My Dad used to be in industrial cleaning and the henry or its steel bodied counterpart are where i'd be spending my money.

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=34

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=29

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=1

Or one of their wet/dry models:

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=27

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=56

Ye they do a "charles" thats a wet/dry vac and the george that does wet/dry vac plus a water pump for spraying detergent for carpets and upholstry cleaning.

The commercial versions of the machines dont have names, and are usually slightly larger, when compared with the home models.

I have an Earlex

Wet and dry, switches itself off if full of water, donkeys years old, bloody noisy, gets the job done.

If I was buying again I would get the next model up with the power outlet. You can then plug in something like a router with the vac pipe connected. The vac then only comes on when you switch on the power tool.

Steve

I have not seen anyone mention a VAX..

My dads a Bathroom Fitter, Basically includes Stripping out existing bathrooms, Brick work, Electrics, Insulation, Masonary work, Plastering, tiling, Plumbing etc.. Pretty much anything!.

He has a VAX which is probably older than me and I am 18 years old!..

Uses it for both wet and dry work!, Mainly used for when draining down central heating or cold water pipe work.. Where we just icsolate the supply, cut the pipe and stick the hover on the end of the pipe and suck all the water out!.

And also gets used to hoover up Dust, bit of tiles, wood shavings, I also use it in my landrovers when flushing the interior out with water is not practical!.

Highly reccomended. Can also use a bag if you desire!.

Then again if its free.. Whats it mater!

Problem is with most hoovers, You dont get a tool too hoover floors up but rather just a 2 inch pipe which can be a problem?