Hydraulically Operated Arb?

02GF74

Instead of using air to lock an ARB, would using hydraulic fluid work instead? Something like having a sprung handle on a brake cyclinder with the tubing connected to the locker instead of air line?

This would avoid having to have an air compressor and activation would be instant should one forget to turn on the compressor?

Probably not.

Les.

You twit, O2

please explain. (apoligise for triple posting but forum seemed to be taking forever so was not sure if the button was responding).

There needs to be some way to transfer force to push something inside the locker; and there'd be a spring inside it to return the something to unlock once the force is removed - why should it matter if the medium is are or fluid e.g. brake oil?

Instead of using air to lock an ARB, would using hydraulic fluid work instead?  Something like having a sprung handle on a brake cyclinder with the tubing connected to the locker instead of air line?

This would avoid having to have an air compressor and activation would be instant should one forget to turn on the compressor?

Why ?

Air is instant ???

Nige

It may work, but there could be some disadvantages.

The compessability of air works like a spring to keep pressure on the locking mechanism until the teeth are aligned then to fully engage the parts.

The sprung handle that you suggested needs to achieve the same, but will it be quick enough? - probably could be!

Quick release is the only advantage that ARB air lockers have over Maxidrive. This is most important for the front locker. As the viscosity of oil is greater than air, then it may well be slower to release - remember the hydraulic oil needs to be compatible with what is used in the diff, in the event that the seals leak.

I have an air leak at the mo,front diff...

...think if it was oil instead of air...

;)

(ouch)

:blink:

As to the compressor:I've fitted an ARB and will keep it until I get a tank,

so to go fully pneumatic.

See how Andy sorted the thing out in his Ibex i.e.

B)

Cheers!

(<<<<< quoting is not like it used to be :( )

Why ?

Air is instant ???

to remove expense of air compressor.

only instant if you switch the compressor on!

The compessability of air works like a spring to keep pressure on the locking mechanism until the teeth are aligned then to fully engage the parts.

info. like this is what I'm looking for.

As the viscosity of oil is greater than air, then it may well be slower to release - remember the hydraulic oil needs to be compatible with what is used in the diff, in the event that the seals leak.

maybe be a problem or not; but wheel brakes don't seem to have any problem with releasing once you take your foot off the pedal. Correct desing should over come this.

I haven't got ARB's but I have a funny feeling that to release they just dump the air to atmosphere not so enviromentally friendly with Hyd Oil.

Now this may be a problem. How does the release work?

and less messy when the pipe cracks !

pipes won't crack as flexi hose will be used much in the same way as car brakes.

this is all hypothetical at the moment; a little bit more on the concept; something like a car brake master cylinder that is operated by a lever,

imagine instad of using your foot on the brake pedal, a handle instead. The handle can be put into 2 positons in a mechansim

that is simialar to Series vents and there will be a coiled spring that will somehow limit the maximum prssure (it is just a thought) and

also allow the handle to be locked in postion once there is sufficient pressure in the oil.

The release should not have any lag since the fluid will be pulled back by the brake master seal. (this would be the flaw. if any, as the seal is not designed to pull fluid butto push it)

(<<<<< quoting is not like it used to be :( )

Why ?

you see that leetle button up there on the right of this post with QUOTE on it?

Well you can use that to quote the whole post and edit it as you like. Alternatively you can cut and paste your quote, into your reply, then highlight it and select the QUOTE button next to CODE and LIST.

Not sure what CODE and LIST do though! :blink:

'List' is for making your shopping list, like this.....

Fi's weekly shop:

• Bread
  • Milk
  • Tea bags
  • Red Wine
  • White Wine
  • Chocolate
  • Baby Oil
  • Cucumber

'Code' is for secret code stuff :ph34r: I could tell you but then.....................you'd know ;)

You can buy an air compressor like this:

38197i0.jpg

For £5.99 - how much cheaper do you want?

The ARB compressors are just souped up versions of the same thing.

... might as well give up; doubt I could get the flexi-hose for cheaper than that. :(

Well my diffs fawked but while it was working I was driving the ARB using a disposable CO2 bottle. No electrics, compressor or gubbins. Just small CO2 tank, regulator and toggle air valve.

Next model will use paintball catridges.

CO2 tank,that's it!

Me too!!!

B)

I found a more economical source for tanks (muuch cheaper than Powertanks),

I just need to find a place for refilling before spending the money.

Trev,what happened with the locker?

Any pics of the air system?

:)

Hydraulic would work fine - except for the issues with leaking.

Cheapest solution for compressed air?

Cheap compressor as above.

Plastic Lemonade bottle as a reservoir.

You can connect it by drilling a hole in the cap and fitting a tyre valve through the hole. don't fit the schrader valve insert. Fit a tube to the threaded bit of the valve with jubilee clips.

Get a BIG jubilee clip, big enough to go round the bottle with some spare. Glue a micro-switch to the inside of the jubilee clip and place round the bottle such that when the bottle expands, it squashes the microswitch and switches the compressor off. You can adjust the pressure by adjusting the jubilee clip.

The plastic bottles are safe up to about 300psi and not that exciting when they do explode (big bang, not much death).

You can build the whole thing for under a tenner!

Si