Kenlowe or Standard Fan for Overland

Go for standard or Kenlowe or both.

Going to hot, very hot, cold and very cold places. Should I stick with the standard engine driven fan?

Need a quick answer. I'm about to order one!

Thanks

p.s. not really bothered about any fuel economy arguments.

Learn how to fix/jam a viscous fan when it fails.

If you go electric, don't bother with kenlowe - get something decent from the scrappy for a few quid and an X-fan switch, the subject has been done to death (as has the "electric Vs viscous" holy war).

in the cold, you will get more horses to boot as the viscous fan removal frees up those ponys.

You may want to invest in a day's driving course at a race track though, a 300TDi unleashed in such a manner could be a bit much for the inexperienced driver :hysterical:

You may want to invest in a day's driving course at a race track though, a 300TDi unleashed in such a manner could be a bit much for the inexperienced driver :hysterical:

Well, it is about a one percent increase in available power ;) (though I had to make a few educated guesses in the fan calculation :huh: )

Also, without the fan your engine will warm up 3 times faster and use 10% less fuel ...

Oh, hang on, you're all being ironic, aren't you? Damn, caught out again :lol:

Keep the standard fan - the viscous unit decouples when cold, so the fan's drag on the engine is negligible. The thermostat will be closed, so the radiator will not be cooling the engine, thus the idling fan will not affect warm up times.

In hot conditions, the standard fan is at least four times more powerful than an electric one and can be secured to its hub with cable ties if the viscous coupling fails in an open mode (they usually seize solid when they fail, though). Water, dust and low battery charge will not affect it, and you don't have to worry about its drain on your battery.

Electric fans are only fitted by manufacturers where mechanically driven fans will not fit, such as on transverse engines or severely cramped engine bays and can't be jerry rigged when they fail. I was very disappointed to have to replace the viscous fan with electric when I fitted a Discovery 200Tdi to my 109.

The advertising claims by Kenlowe and others are misleading, if not fraudulent. There is no measurable performance, economy or warm-up penalty with a viscous fan compared to electric (their claims would only stand up against a fixed fan like on Series vehicles with the vehicle stationary, giving high blade angle of attack), but there are severe cooling and reliability concerns with electric.

Slightly OT, but may help. How do you test your viscous fan is working? I mean before it is too late and you know its not working because your engine is overheating? Is there a way Neill (or others) can make sure his viscous fan is working before he leaves the UK?

Slightly OT, but may help. How do you test your viscous fan is working? I mean before it is too late and you know its not working because your engine is overheating? Is there a way Neill (or others) can make sure his viscous fan is working before he leaves the UK?

Either when the engine overheats if you have a standard Land Rover temperature gauge, or when it unscrews and goes through the radiator. :o

Thanks guys,,, and possibly girls (not a licence to ridicule anyone for being a big girl)

I recon I will get the standard one re-fitted and decide after i've driven a few 1000 miles here and in Morocco (planned May 2010, fingers crossed for that!).

The entire std fan is about £120 so its not going to break the bank (much). At least then I actully have a fan fitted :o (its invisible at the moment)

I might very well sell it on for a electric later before the proper trip. My thoughts are you can't go wrong with a standard vehicle, if only to start with. At least then i can fit an electric later if i change my mind.

Anyhow that should keep 50% happy with "i'm going standard" and 50% happy that "i might change my mind for the trip". Of those 75% will think i have too much money (not true) and 25% will think i'm a idiot either way.

I could fit both if you want....one sucking and one blowing :blink: Now i need to blag the one in Mikes shed for a sunday lunch voucher.

A standard viscous will be absolutely fine for Morocco - only reason you'd need to go electric is if you have a transplanted 200TDi in an early car which means there is a big ggap between rad and fan, or if you've got a goosed viscous.

BTW, I thought viscous fans usually failed unlocked, usually cos the fluid has escaped? Mine certainly did but I managed to fix it with a self tapper through the hub to lock it up.

I tested it by poking a rolled up newspaper into it with the engine running - the fan stopped running fairly easily.

There is zero power change and it does not affect the engine heat up time.

It does give much better access to the engine and allows the fan to be turned off when wading. It is also cheaper than buying a new viscous unit WHEN it dies.

£65.00 here for the OEM viscous part

http://www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/shop/lrps/en/browse/Defender+110/2/0/31/11/16

Cheaper than a kenlowe and much less hassle to fit than a secondhand fan from a scrap yard once you factor in getting it, fitting thermostats etc...

/\/\/\ wot he said.

stick with the viscous everytime unless you absolutely cant have it due to space restrictions.

It pulls vast amounts of air compared to a leccy one, and is mechanical and reliable compared to some unknown leccy motor with wires / relays / thermostats etc.

if it does fail unlocked, self tapper or some proper strong wire ties can usually do the job of locking it on.

awful lot of hate going on for leccy fans here.

granted, i wouldn't bother changing a viscous for one if i didn't have to, but they are powered by electric motors, which tend to be pretty reliable devices. as for power 'four times more powerful' seems like a figure plucked somewhere from the air. i'd concur with red90 regarding the cost though. i'm going to have to say that i can't see many reasons to fork out for a kenlowe (excess money weighing you down maybe), when you can get a fan/fans depending on your radiator from a scrappy, with cowl, for about £5. that's a lot of viscous units.

i'd also say that the extra space for working is quite handy too. Last time my fan actually came on was when i burst my bottom hose, otherwise it just sits there doing not a lot and not taking up much space.

...and again with the b*ll*cks about electrics, every time this subject comes up the LR owner's inbuilt mistrust of anything electrical comes to the fore :rolleyes:

They are not unreliable, complicated, going to kill your puppy, etc. :rolleyes:

They can be turned off or forced on so you aren't going to trash them going through water, etc. and can cool the engine even with the ignition off, or boost cooling if needed independently of what else is going on. My twin fan setup cost me £25 from the scrappy and overcools the 4.6 even towing. I know far more people who've had viscous fans fail (at least two of which have taken a radiator out with them) than electrics.

My 2p's worth here, given Neil's total indecision about everything, is that you don't need to rush out and buy anything, the TDi will live happily with no fan in the UK so you can worry about it later. And why rush out and spend £100 on a viscous when you say you may well change your mind later for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Here's a casualty from this year (and Lada replacement part on the left :P ):

post-21-126053549983_thumb.jpg

I dont think there is a correct answer - neither are without fault. Personally i think its less hassle to stick with standard on mine as its there and working at the moment. The electrics are easy enough, but directly replacing the viscous unit is less hassle for me so thats what i'll do - esp if a new one only costs £65 - like i said its worth my time not to trawl around scrap yards risking bits that dont work/are coming to the end of their lives etc.... adn cheaper than a new one.

As most of you know I run an electric fan

Why.

Because I would have to carry a spare viscous fan when on a trip. Not only are they expensive but they are unreliable. I've seen two detatch for no reason at the screw on the hub....

Now if I could get a fixed fan for my 300Tdi I would. That I know is reliable with metal blades......

A second point. Without the viscous fan the front of the engine is easily reached to change any necessary bits.... With a viscous you would have to carry a spanner and then remove the t work.

Yes an electric fan will work. It will also cool the 300Tdi in an ambient temperature of 45 Deg C when towing an overland loaded Defender on non tar roads for 38 kilometers.