opinions needed on this Defender

hi guys and gals

i am looking at getting a defender very soon, as i plan to take my mini off the road to restore it.

my budget isnt too big, but have managed to find a defender in my price range.

it is a 1985 c reg. with a whole years MOT

2.25 diesel engine, 123,000 miles

built 3 years ago, new gaskets/seals for engine to stop leaks + new clutch

was also sprayed and had the chassis plated and welded.

recently had new brakes all round

mud plugger tyres and has a chequer plate interior.

he wants £1350 for it

what do you think??

post-11241-126071232239_thumb.jpg

post-11241-126071234277_thumb.jpg

post-11241-126071236022_thumb.jpg

post-11241-126071237553_thumb.jpg

post-11241-126071239133_thumb.jpg

post-11241-12607124054_thumb.jpg

post-11241-12607124292_thumb.jpg

I would say it really depends on the actual condition of the chassis. Its been plated, but is there a whole load more that needs doing? If the plating is good and thorough and the crossmember is good then it might be worth considering.

Do you do lots of motorway driving? - you wont like the engine if you do - its not going to be quick (probably a very loud 60ish mph top). They are reliable though - so lots more life left if thats the original mileage and the servicing has been good.

Might be worth offering £1000-1150 if the above is ok.

ahh, i would be doing a fair bit of motorway driving.

would i be better looking for a TDI then??

Price will go up if you do. My 110 has a tdi retrofitted, but is probably worth 1500 - 2k if i sold it - i'm not by the way! (i'd hope for more, but think thats realistically what its worth).

Older Discos with the tdi engine can be picked up fairly cheap - cheaoer than the defender so that may be a better option for you as suggested above.

I bought my 1985 Defender 90 on an ended listing on ebay from a supposed offroad instructor in Bath. It had the 2.5 none turbo engine and it was uneconomical and very slow on motorways (55mph was my top speed with larger wheels/tyres etc). The engine was soon ditched for a 200tdi unit and the difference just about offset the extra outlay. My advice though would to get a tdi from the offset as I went with my heart not my head as was stung for £1750.

Just in relation to a topic on the international forum, if your registration is after the year 2000, live close to london and have to go there, then the 2012 LEZ will kick in and you would have to pay £100 a day.

So if you want to keep this vehicle from longer, the reg would save you monies, but the motor way experience would not b e too good....

However you could always swap the chassis for a galv one, and whack a better engine in it.

The engine and chassis need to be semi-sound. You buy a solid one you drive it you sell it for similar money. You buy a cheap one pour money into and the sell it for half what you paid. It seems you have pictures of all the bits that don't matter. Chassis, engine and gearbox are all that matters on defender, everything else is cheap and nuts and bolts swap. ( I know technically everything is nuts and bolts swap, but engine swaps and chassis swaps are an order of magnitude more annoying than swapping out the seats or a door for exmaple)

Without wanting to urinate on your chips or teach granny etc... but have you driven LRs before? if you do lots of motorway miles and this is just a stop gap car until your mini is finished then maybe something like a diesel eurobox would be significantly more suitable? Unless you want the defender because/despite all its little 'character building' features, in which case I would recommend a TDi and Welcome aboard!

Just my 2p

Mike

Morning

Are you budgeting for general maintenance & upkeep too. There's always something that needs doing, especially to the older vehicles. If you're planning to rebuild your mini then you'll need to keep some cash aside "just in case"

As others have said it will be slow and noisey on motorway journeys. I'm used to it in mine now (it's all part of the fun)!!

I like those seats but why paint the servo & heater? lol

hiya

i believe i should now be looking for a 90 with a TDI engine in it.

i really want a defender and have no interest in disco's have loved them for years but unfortunatly never had one.

i am really not fussed with a loud uncomfortable ride on motorways, as i have been driving a mini with next to no sound proofing, loudish exhaust and a loud engine with 4 gears that screams at 70mph, up and down the motorway for over 2 years. my usual length of trip is 3 hours each way.

i plan on keeping both cars and once the mini is back on the road, the landy will become a serious off roader.

i have found a 1992 defender TDI on auto trader for £1,600 that looks quite tidy, so i will get in touch with the owner and enquire about it.

what makes the TDI engine better for the motorway???

whats the difference between the 300TDi and the 200TDI??

cheers

adam

The man's a Mini owner, so I'm guessing there may be a British car thing behind all this; hopefully;) Also a LR product would be a good size for carting sub frames etc to the shot blasters :lol:

I have to agree that a Disco may be a better option here, especially given the budget. We found a G reg Disco 200tdi for my sister for £1200 a while back. It's not exactly gleaming or tidy but is perfectly useable, and probably quite typical of many early Discos that have come right down in price.

My strong and well meaning advice would be to;

1. Grab a coffee / tea / beer.

2. Sit down and read back through some of the previous threads as the 2.5n/a v 2.5td / 200 v 300tdi has been discussed many, many times before.

3. Try and find someone local who has a good knowledge of Defenders to accompany you when you go to view.

What he said....especially number 3.

If i managed it anyone can. Admittedly it cost me £100 for three viewings but two others were free. I can honestly say the guy i paid was the best of the lot,, spending 45 - 60 mins on each one. Money well spent and spotting many item i would not have.

what makes the TDI engine better for the motorway???

whats the difference between the 300TDi and the 200TDI??

The fact it has 110hp rather than ~70 will make the biggest difference on the motorway.

300 vs 200tdi is mainly minor technical revisions, a search of the forum will give you more details, but i wouldnt worry too much about it, both are decent motors.

The fact it has 110hp rather than ~70 will make the biggest difference on the motorway.

300 vs 200tdi is mainly minor technical revisions, a search of the forum will give you more details, but i wouldnt worry too much about it, both are decent motors.

Defender 200tdi = 107bhp & 188lbft torque

Discovery/RRC 200tdi 111bhp & 195lbft torque

All Manual gearbox 300Tdi same figures as Disco/RRC 200Tdi.

Heater box and servo painted with red oxide. Possibly suggesting it's had a bit of treatment for rust ?

I'd be very thorough when checking the chassis and bulkhead out in light of that....

As said, if you can get someone experienced (doesn't have to be a mechanic - just grab the first punter who knows their stuff) to come with you, that's your best bet.

Hi,

I wouldn't put too much store in the MOT as I bought one with about 4 months MOT and the chassis needed loads of welding but was covered in layers of cow carp and mud so no proper inspection could have been effective, so do your self a favor and take someone that knows what to look for!!!

Because its easy to be seduced by chunky tires and checker plate and shiny paint. See the image of my chassis below as a warning!

I have taken a year now to sort mine out but I have to say I have learnt a lot and have enjoyed it for the most part.

Oh and get yourself a welder and a big hammer as they should be optional extras on these vehicles :P

Best of luck

post-13733-126089595718_thumb.jpg

just to point out a few anorachy things..... if its a 1986 then its technicaly a 90 not a defender, few minor diferences, and it will be fitted with a 2.5 not a 2.25 diesel. sorry to point this out but i like to point stuff out!!!

He's right...2286 was only used in '83 and '84. Looks like LR's own 12J NatAss to me...they're all-right engines, they'll get you anywhere you like, just a lot slower than anyone else. Is it an illusion or is there no timing case cover?? There's something I dont recognise sticking out..although it could just be the angle of the photo....

Putting a disco 200tdi was the best thing I ever did for my 88, and thats got no soundproofing either, so I know what loud noises are...for a 3 hours trip, earplugs would be a good idea - Im sure my hearing's not what it was...