X-Brake conversion - any current users?

Guest wunntenn

Guest wunntenn

Considering buying one as I seem to have to regularly get in about my drum, usually in grotty weather, like now when its snowing and rather unpleasant to be underneath fiddling. If I'm taking it apart again I reckon an upgrade seems sensible. It would appear that the x-brake maintenance is more easily achieved - pads removed more easily etc - and it seems pretty robust and foolproof therefore less likely to fail on me at an inconvenient moment. Would I be right? Anyone got one, and happy with it overall? (anyone unhappy for that matter?). Cheers.

Fitted mine a little while ago, in October, and it has provided faultless service since then. It's MIGHTY strong, held my 90 on a 45% slope without so much as a slip, but be aware that this strength could cause a problem. For example, if the handbrake was pulled on while driving along, I wouldn't want to thing about what it would do to your transfer box :P

Very much a worthwhile upgrade, and a doddle to fit too :)

Guest wunntenn

Excellent news. As mods go its maybe not quite as sexy as a Safari snorkel but a snorkel is carp at stopping you rolling away. Will order one up. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Guest wunntenn

Western - excellent thread, thanks for the pointer to it and for taking the time to do it in the first place - it'll be really useful for guidance.

Had mine for 3+ years now

With the drum I went through shoes and was always having problems with it

due to mud / sand / jamming.

Bought an X brake, was impressed how well it fitted, and its been faultless

ever since, considering the abuse I give it just works so well.

Even the pads last ages :)

I have never heard a bad comment on these

Nige

I'm probably the only one who had issues with it, continuous annoying noise caused by the pad being slightly in touch with the disc all the time, no matter what adjustment/fine tuning.

I pulled it several times and in the end the pad support melted while driving on the motorway.

I refitted the old drum brake and gave the disc brake to a guy who rebuilt it.

Still making noise AFAIK.

I love the idea but I think a different caliper would be better.

I tried everything..but it wasn't the pad rattling, it was the pad being in costant touch with the disc.

Then the heat buildup did the rest, and the plastic bit which supports the pad melted.

I tried everything..but it wasn't the pad rattling, it was the pad being in costant touch with the disc.

Then the heat buildup did the rest, and the plastic bit which supports the pad melted.

hmm, have you spoke to x-eng sounds like something is misaligned slightly Im sure they will be able to help.

Dave

I'm probably the only one who had issues with it, ...

Not the only one, I liked the look of them so I fitted one to my 90 a couple of years ago and used it for a few months but I used to get a "juddering" sensation from it unless it was adjusted out a bit (needing more brake lever movement,) I think the disc may have been slightly warped, anyway, off roading one day it went with a twang and then a rapid ding-ding-ding-ding noise as though the disc was touching the caliper as it rotated, I guess it must have got a bit more warped.

Odd thing was though, I couldn't see any damage anywhere when I checked it afterwards.

I gave up at this point and put the original drum back on, no problems since, just an occasional re-adjustment

Not the only one, (...) a rapid ding-ding-ding-ding noise as though the disc was touching the caliper as it rotated

Same for me exactly.

I still like the idea though.

Not the only one, I liked the look of them so I fitted one to my 90 a couple of years ago and used it for a few months but I used to get a "juddering" sensation from it unless it was adjusted out a bit (needing more brake lever movement,) I think the disc may have been slightly warped, anyway, off roading one day it went with a twang and then a rapid ding-ding-ding-ding noise as though the disc was touching the caliper as it rotated, I guess it must have got a bit more warped.

Odd thing was though, I couldn't see any damage anywhere when I checked it afterwards.

I gave up at this point and put the original drum back on, no problems since, just an occasional re-adjustment

I've also bent a few of the brackets, the later version with wings has survived better.

The disc has also been upgraded to a flat one. (the original cut steal one had a 5mm run out when fitted new which caused "juddering", now a replaced with a properly made machined disc)

Guest wunntenn

Interesting range of comments!

Seems really polarized - either entirely delighted or not.

The problems reported by a few of you seem to chime with the warning in the x-brake installation PDF which states:

Clean off ALL the dirt from the flange on the back of the transfer box and the prop

shaft. Failure to do so may cause the disk to warp!

So it may be that this is a problem thats become apparent with user feedback over time, as most of the complaints are similar.

Thanks all for your valuable responses.

I had a few problems with the pad rattle at first but silicon sorted it out. I can honestly say that of all the mods I did to my 90 before it went walkies it was undoubtedly the best one. So much so that it will be the first mod I do to the new toy once I have finished sorting out all the extra ventillation holes! It is nice to pull on the handbrake and KNOW you will not roll down the hill but that it will roll when you realease it again, even after a day down the pay and play site! (You do still get the slight roll but that is due to the backlash in the diff)

Get one and quick!

You won't believe the improvement!

HTH

Andy

i fitted one of the first ones to my 90 - and as Si says a 'dull' upgrade as you just forget about it as its works perfectly everytime. certainly money well spent in my opinion.

The drum brake i had fitted had to be cleaned out after every off road trip and then it would last fine until the next off road trip. Since fitting the X- Brake no need for any cleaning.

i had to reseat one of the pads after about a year - dab of silicon sealent sorted it.