Will my 300tdi work underwater?

Considering the water pressure at 45m would be around 4.5 bar, I think the oil seals would soon give up and let water into the engine pretty sharpish.

This is of course assuming you were able to overcome the multitude of other issues, I can imagine the exhaust back-pressure would be somewhat restrictive for example.

Can I ask why? :P

Give a Diesel air and fuel and it should run fine... provided water is not ingested as well. Longer term concerns are water finding its way into the oil (and not just engine - gearbox, axles etc) and electrics (corrosion) and things like alternator bearings - should all continue to function but may/will decrease life of the various bits.

A look at a waterproofed Wolf is very instructive - you would not believe how much is waterproofed / provided with breathers or even pressurised by a line from the turbo boost sense line (front cover)! They also disconnect the alternator and spend a significant time preparing in other ways. Partly this effort is to enable salt water fording up to head height and partly to ensure good condition long term. They are also rigorously waxoiled.

Bottom line for us, fit wading plugs, don't flood it and keep it running when the exhaust is submerged... it will work fine, however there will be a greater burden on the wallet in the long term in many areas depending on what is submerged for how long and what you do directly after (eg leave contaminated oil in an axle for six months!)

The relative pressure is 5,5 Bar, which is not that bad considering the counterpressure inside the engine, which would be what at high revs? 3-5 Bar depending on the engine? So it could be possible to run if it could get the air for the combustion from the tank. It would be impossible to get that amount of air from the pumps from the surface, and engines own suction is not sufficient to grasp air even only few meters deep.

I think the exchaust back pressure makes it impossible to run, if you can´t solve that problem with some kind of a surface mounted suction...

Also considering the depht it would be impossible for a diver to stay that long submerged. Firstly the source of air must come from the surface, otherwise you will die of decompression sicness in no time...and few other minor things.

But apart of that, very interesting idea indeed! :D

i was thinking 45m

i was wondering if it would have been possible to drive across to france, i.e drive in the water not the tunnel

shallowest point is 45m which also happens to be the shortest point at 21miles lol

The ferry is a much cheaper option, it will also stop your euros getting wet.

lol what a great response some of the posts r hilarious

its only past 50m that things start getting complicted for a diver ive dived at 45m many times

i would also worry about the water ingress it might knock out my sterio :(

and a dnt think filling the tyres with water would help ideally tracks would be needed which are 3k per wheel

I don't think you'd get any wetter than driving a standard LR on a rainy day :rolleyes: and the vehicle would pretty much be scrap after being dunked in salt water as you'd never get it all out, unless you then went and drove round the bottom of a freshwater lake for a bit afterwards :P

Why not do a clarkson and float it across, LR have done this themselves more than once.

You could miss out the engine / fuel issues by using a sealed electric drive, and the batteries will help keep the traction levels up: but does the world make an "underwater" offroad tyre :blink:

As to salt water in the chassis, just fill it with crazy foam *

Positive pressure gearbox and axle breathers sound fun though!

* Yes I know that'd be bouyant, but we aren't in "normal space" here, are we?

• 3 years later...

I would think depth is irrelevant from an intake and exhaust point of view as depth is a relative term , if you were in danakil depression you would be at upto 100mtrs bel;ow sea level and you would be surpised if your diesel engine would not work . The engine seals as previously mentioned would be the limiting factor

example here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBGr39uJBo :blink:

if your interested another Niva

worth trying with a 80" ?