British 4x4 Indoor Show

greenstream

Hi Everyone

We are two forumers from Denmark going to the British 4x4 Indoor Show, this sunday.

Looking forward to it !

We´ve got the entire monday to spend before going home, any sugetions as what to see ?

Maybe 4x4-related ?

Maybe we´ll see some of you guys at the show ?

Cheers

Morten

Hi Everyone

We are two forumers from Denmark going to the British 4x4 Indoor Show, this sunday.

Looking forward to it !

We´ve got the entire monday to spend before going home, any sugetions as what to see ?

Maybe 4x4-related ?

Maybe we´ll see some of you guys at the show ?

Cheers

Morten

Hi Morten,

Just posted about it in getting out and about, I will be there.

as for what to do on a Monday, I really can't help you there, if you are passing Henley On Thames on the way back I can give you a brewery tour, however I think it will probaly be off your route.

Jason.

Well, I went for a wander round there today and I'm glad I didn't drive from Denmark for it! There were a number of retailers and I really liked diversity of marques and the competition to vote on the cars on show (a very eclectic mix!) but I'd seen everything I wanted to within 3hrs and I was on my way home. I was also disappointed not to see some of the bigger retailers (Craddock, Paddock etc), but only because I wanted a water pump.

Overall, it was an enjoyable show but it certainly won't replace Billing...

well, we went!

I have now almost sorted out which retailers to buy all the bits I need to complete our truck.

The only people I wish were there was Ashcroft. Plenty of stuff to see, some of it tat, lots of it useful.

No one selling waffles though (not decent ones anyway!)

Poor old Malcolm Whitbread looked totally bewildered by 2:00pm! Might have been us hassling him to death over our truck build.

Nicest things I saw were:

Equipe beadlock wheels, but not at £300 a corner.

Saley's new truck

Bailey Morris props

Hydraulic winches galore

Great pity it was really only in 1 hall, but we were there from 8:30 till 3:00. Not often I go to shows these days, but it was nice to be treated seriously by all the retailers, not like in the Autosport show....

I thought that there was less there than at donnington although more space!!! I was looking to buy some LED marker lights for the trailer, but bolt on were not there I noticed that a fair few of the bigger retailers were not there, and the ones that were didn't have that much (anchor for one) I got all the nuts and bolts I needed to keep me busy for the next few weeks, but didn't come back broke for once!!!

Hopefully Newbury will be better, I know it's jumble but there was quiet a bit of new stuff there last year a lot more than today and its only 30 mins down the road!!!biggrin.gif

Me and my mate went to this at Donnington a couple of times and were underwhelmed on both occasions :(

We only went a 2nd time (in 2006) because a friend of ours, who lives near to Donnington, had just bought a J33p and wanted to go and look for accessories (he was dissapointed)

The best thing we saw there, were the two girls from Roadsure Insurance, who were handing out leaflets inside the entrance to the hall. They were both displaying rather fetching 'cameltoes' :ph34r:

Here's a picture of them that I found on t'interweb from the 2006 show (I've no idea who that bloke is :lol: )

post-148-126921786265_thumb.jpg

I went with a few mates and quite enjoyed it.

Like most others have said i was done seeing things after 3 hours, and I felt that the £10 entry was expensive as most full size shows are around this price and all I was paying to see was basically 3d versions of suppliers websites.

However, it was nice to see a wide variety of vehicles and equipment from diffrent manufacturers that I otherwise would not have come accross. It was interesting to see the full spaceframe and independant suspension frames available now. Also, it was a good chance to rifle through some tat (tools mostly) that I would not have access to outside of ebay.

I've been to this show at donnington for the past few years and if its on again then I'll gladly go again next year, but its worth noting that I live local to these two venues and would probably not make the effort if I had a greater distance to travel

We were set to go down for the weekend, had it all booked and everything. Then the cylinder head cracked and the truck has spent the weekend feeling sorry for itself :(

Reading this has made me feel better (sorry to those who did travel and find it disappointing) that we didn't miss anything special, and that we didn't go to any effort of hiring a car to come down! I did think that Donnington was disappointing but just wanted to get away for a Landy related weekend anyway. Won't bother in the future - Driffield will be my first show of the year then (and the closest to me as it happens).

£10 is expensive for what is, in effect, a market rather than a show. And not a very good market either if last years was anything to go by - not a bargain in sight :ph34r:

I wasn't all that impressed with the show - like a few people have said, it felt a bit empty. As a trader, it was very expensive - more per square meter than 3 days at Billing. I suspect that's why bargains were thin on the ground.

Incidentally, the way to get a bargain at any show is to haggle! If you discount your prices for a show "10% off everything" kind of thing - then the people who do haggle take that as the starting point for their haggle which is often more than you can afford to give away.

As a result, most traders start at their list price and discount on that. Because many people will not haggle at all, there's more discount available for those who do!

In the last year I've had some terrific deals, particularly at Billing & Peterborough without even playing the "trade discount" card!

I promise that if you haggle with us - you will get a discount, but you might have to be persistent as I quite enjoy the haggling bit! Remember to stay polite and friendly whoever it is to and it will work!

Si

You may have not been that impressed by the show, but I was/am very impressed by you and your company.

I have done what you recomended to my disc brake and it all works better than ever, and I did not need to haggle over the prices as I thought they were very good.

Thanks Si

Andy

Ps The disc brake is not an Xeng one, but Si was still willing to help

I promise that if you haggle with us - you will get a discount, but you might have to be persistent as I quite enjoy the haggling bit! Remember to stay polite and friendly whoever it is to and it will work!

Thanks for the tip. See you on the next show :D