Trusted supplier of radiators

mickeyw

The time has come for me to look for a new radiator for my Ninety. The cooling fins have seen better days and I'm not sure quite how clogged it may be internally. Does flushing really do any good?

I am using the turbo D type with integral oil cooler.

Where is a good place to buy a new rad from that won't fail in service 5 minutes after I've fitted it?

****part rads are not an option, as I know three people that have recently had new ones from them either spring a water leak, or leak oil into water, and subsequently cause other damage, such as head gasket failures. :angry:

I would rather not buy genuine, as the prices are a bit extreme to say the least. :o

I have thought about getting my existing one re-cored but I don't know if it would work out any cheaper than a new genuine item :unsure: On the re-coring thought, are there other designs of core that are less easy to clog with mud/wash out easier?

Any ideas please???

I was quoted ~£120 for a recore just over a year ago. Was slightly cheaper than a new rad.

However, took a chance on a 2nd hand one off ebay. Got it for £20 and it was brand new.

If there is nothing else wrong with it, I'd go for a recore. At least that way you know it will fit back in the hole you took it from and has the right adaptors for the oil cooler pipes.

I recently had my rad re-cored. It was about £30 cheaper than a new unit from Bearmach and meant I could specify how I wanted the core rebuilt. I asked for slightly deeper with wider fin spacing to make it easier to clean, yet still provide the necessary cooling capacity/surface area. I got what I asked for all fitted into the original frame with the existing tanks. Apart from having to clean the threads for the oil pipes, it was spot on.

I have also bought Bearmach rads before and have had no issues with them.

The company I used to do the recore are called Radicool

I did the same as Orange - albeit custom as my rad is a strange size. Went for the fattest core they could fit in, with the widest fin spacing. It never clogs and the truck is overcooled if anything - the fans only come on full speed if you do donuts in low-box :lol:

radnfans.jpg

Another vote for Wessex Radiators in Lowford. The re-cored one cost me about the same price as a Britpart one, but I know that I got something of much better quality. It's a proper old-fashioned business that been in the same shed for about 200 years, with ancient soldering irons everywhere.

Another thumbs up for Wessex from me as well. Old shed, bloke and his m8, top work. They had the core on the shelf, I dropped it in mid morning, it was done by 3pm, even with fresh paint all over. Cheaper than getting a new one. I have another spare 300TDi rad in the garage which will be going to them for the same treatment sometime.

Thanks to you all.

I was already thinking towards something like Orange had done. It certainly looks the way to go to save constantly having to wash the fins after every day out.

With so many recommemdations I might have to arrange a day out in Southampton :)

I drive past Wessex radiators almost every day. It looks the business - proper chap in a shed place. I fully intend to get a custom rad made when I've got some cash kicking around.

I've heard lots of good feedback from the Lowford guys too... :D

That's one hell of a commute from Bristol/Taunton to our neck of the woods! :o:o

This is who I tried

I think I got the link through a vintage vehicle restorer, which I hoped would translate to good workmanship.

Ah Bagshot rads, they're back are they? Thought they sold up to serk-marston. Always used to use them for truck radiators in my old job! They always used to be the best in the area, glad they are back, I will be giving them a call soon.

My radiator decided to give up on late Friday night and I had to leave for a journey with my 110Td5 early Saturday morning. All I could get at that time was Allmakes cheapest aluminium/plastic rad. I thought that what the heck, I´ll put it on and buy a decent one when it begins to show marks of giving up. Well, it´s over two years and 35 000km´s ago, and still like new! And they throw a lot of salt on the roads at wintertime in here! So I´m very surprised and satisfied for that cheap deal...