Newbie with 90

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site and have accqired a 90 that is roughly 22yrs old, as i drove the landy home through country lanes it was ok. But when i got it to the motorway and put the pedal to the metal it started to pick up as expected, but when i reach 65-70 due to the speedo telling it didnt know? i started to drop the revs. Then when i eased of it would pick back up again, it would only do 65 max!! Any ideas on what to do..... Thanks.

String.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site and have accqired a 90 that is roughly 22yrs old, as i drove the landy home through country lanes it was ok. But when i got it to the motorway and put the pedal to the metal it started to pick up as expected, but when i reach 65-70 due to the speedo telling it didnt know? i started to drop the revs. Then when i eased of it would pick back up again, it would only do 65 max!! Any ideas on what to do..... Thanks.

String.

that sounds normal to me if its a td mine only goes 60 i think the top speed is only 72

that sounds normal to me if its a td mine only goes 60 i think the top speed is only 72

Really??? so they dont go any faster than about 65?.. I'm not looking for a pocket rocket, but i did expect it to go a little faster to be honest.

Really??? so they dont go any faster than about 65?.. I'm not looking for a pocket rocket, but i did expect it to go a little faster to be honest.

65 is not bad for a 2.5TD, when all said and done it's an older utility vehicle with a strong offroad bias.

that all depends on what engine you have but even the latest defenders are restricted to about 85 they have stability problems. they dont go fast they go anywere P.S that is realy funny that you thought it was broke.

that all depends on what engine you have but even the latest defenders are restricted to about 85 they have stability problems. they dont go fast they go anywere P.S that is realy funny that you thought it was broke.

PMSL.... :lol: Thanks Guys.. as i said i'm new to the game..just finding me feet?? ya may as well call me" stupid and sit me in the corner!". Is there anything i can do to stop it loosing power when it reaches 65?. I mean when i eased off it came to life again, i want to try and sustain the power so it stays at 65. Also the speedo couldn't tell me the truth either..... i only new what i was doing due to tomtom...is it usual for the speedo to think its doing 70 when its only doing 65?

String.

I know the TD has its shortfalls in the life expectancy department, but I think you should be able to manage a few more MPH than that.

We had a 1987 TD Ninety County for the 140k miles, albeit with a replacement engine. We had it on 205 road bias tyres and I always felt it was a pretty responsive engine with a surprising amount of torque, and a reasonable tow truck. 80 MPH was manageable given enough level space, and no head wind and a pair of ear defenders. Country lanes were plenty of fun too. Fuel consumption suffered heavily when it was worked hard.

I know the Tdi was a vast improvement and arrived not a moment too soon.

Cheers guys,for answering my post. Is it worth putting it in for a service and trying to flush the injectors out with RED X injection cleaner. When i fired it up tonight there was a ton of smoke also when i was driving it there was abit of black smoke that was coming out. :blink:

If you're in doubt about the cambelt then get it changed even though when they do go It's a couple of pushrods and a new belt(no piston/valve damage) it's the embuggerance of doing all that if you'd not done any maintenance in the first place and seeing as you have no idea of when it was last changed I would get it changed toot sweet and yes a sevice probably would'nt go a miss either

welcome to the forum and use the search box for answers that you may require-there is a wealth of info on here and some really good helpful people too

John

FUEL FILTER!!! my 84 110csw before i put the 300tdi in was a pig for dying on full throtle ...i only knew cos it was on the motorway alot and would die a death... changed the fuel filter a few times but eventually got the tank off to flush it too as over 20 years of silt was in there.

Standard 90 with a good condition 2.5 TD engine - 78mph - top whack. Been there and done it :)

Series max speed is 72mph if I remember right - I did it on the M4 in an 88" 2.25 petrol and I only wandered across 2-lanes :)

Les.

An 88" 2.25P with 7.50s and an overdrive, 80 can be achieved once all the oils have warmed up, although it was hard to see the speedo as everything was shaking about so much. And yes the lanes do get strangely narrow :o

Also the speedo couldn't tell me the truth either..... i only new what i was doing due to tomtom...is it usual for the speedo to think its doing 70 when its only doing 65?

String.

Pretty much all speedo's will over read.

Legally they are allowed to over ready by a certain percentage but not under read at all so most are set up to over read slightly.

Also bear in mind they work by counting the revolutions of the wheels so the more worn or under inflated the tyres the more they will over read (or under read if you fit over size tyres).

When I first got a road angel I started checking the speedos in each car I was in, the worst was an Astra van which read 80mph whilst only doing 65mph we had been wondering why every one else seemed to be going so fast!.