Help yet again please

We have just had our first frosty morning! And the LR didn't want to start :angry:

Had this problem all through last winter and don't fancy going out again for this winter

not knowing if the thing is going to fire up or not, so want to sort it.

When the temps not below freezing it starts first time no problems, as soon as there is a frost

it struggles to turn over as though the battery is flat! Stick the charger on for 10mins. and it starts up as if there was never anything wrong :angry:

What do I need to be looking at to resolve this issue?

Cheers Mutley

thing i'd look at:

1:battery terminals

2:battery may not be holding a full 12v or dropping low when the starter or glow plug are being used.

3:glow plugs may have one not working.

4:starter (not very likely if it dosen't play up any other time).

Mutley, I've insulated my battery with some stuff I had that reflect's heat from behind a radiator in the house it's a silver foil covered bubble wrap from either B&Q or Focus do it all type place

John

Don't worry about brand names, head to your local agricultural suppliers, or a decent motor factors, and just get the biggest battery that will fit in there. Biggest in terms of size and also CCA/Ah. I have a Trane T16 in mine, 720 CCA (SAE) and 95 Ah. More than beefy enough to crank the 200Tdi regardless of conditions.

Didn't cost me much, there's no need to spend over £100 and indeed I am sure most places you will be able to get a nice big one for much less than that :)

Don't worry about brand names, head to your local agricultural suppliers, or a decent motor factors, and just get the biggest battery that will fit in there. Biggest in terms of size and also CCA/Ah. I have a Trane T16 in mine, 720 CCA (SAE) and 95 Ah. More than beefy enough to crank the 200Tdi regardless of conditions.

Didn't cost me much, there's no need to spend over £100 and indeed I am sure most places you will be able to get a nice big one for much less than that :)

This is good advice. Seek out your local agricultural suppliers and they should put you right at a reasonable cost.

I had exactly the same problem last winter - fine above zero, hopeless below.

Fixed with a new battery.

Can anybody enlighten me what it is about the magic zero point that seems to have such a defined effect ? It cannot have much to do with water freezing as both the juice in the battery and also the engine coolant will not freeze until very much lower, same for the oil.

I am guessing that this is a transiant effect that just happens to take place at about zero but a more technical explanation would be welcome.

Thanks

TB

Ditto with Three Blades response, Zero seems to be the magic number or not as the case may be!?!

What's the score with Glow Plugs? Best to use genuine or are they all the same or is there a dogs nuts brand?

Cheers for the replies Mutley

Hi just a quick bit of info for you. IIRC the battery voltage should be 12.6 volts standing with nothing running or switched on. When you crank the engine over it should'nt go any lower than about 10.6 volts IIRC. Just a little test you could do with a multimeter to confirm the batteries knackered.

Done the battery test can't remember the figures but all seemed good.....Could be wrong but heard that even those figures don't always mean it's OK....So just to be sure I've ordered one of those Numax batteries off a link on here, see where we go from there, possibly the glow plug root as everything else seems to be good.

Thanks for the info guys cheers Mutley

an additional earth is worth doing no matter what - i used the spare bolt on the top of the timing chest where the aircon would bolt to as my additional earth point.

as for batteries, go down to your local unipart with the internal dimensions of the battery box and they will sort you the biggest than will physically fit. I ended up with a truck battery with 50% more power than the standard 300tdi battery spec lists. Nice having all that extra reserve even if i never need it. Only cost me £65 too.

As for glow plugs, no idea if mine work or not as i never turn the ignition on and wait for the light to go out. I just flick it straight to crank and it goes "wurr-wurr clatter clatter clatter" and i;m off. Thats even in the coldest of days after being sat for the weekend.