More Britpart info

Les Henson

I repaired an MOT fail on a TD5 Disco a month ago - PAS box leaking, and rear diff pinion oil seal leaking (not actually an MOT fail, but there you go :) ). Anyway - customer insisted on supplying parts, so they turned up - Britpart items :) Anyway - rear seal continued to leak (flange was ok), and steering box was leaking from the top cover by the time he took it for the free re-test (within 10-workig days). Parts supplier is claiming "fitting error" (I'd like to know how fitting a steering box will cause it to leak from the top cover). They relented and replaced the box under guarantee. Pinion seal was replaced with a gen item and is fine now. I understand now that dealer-supplied Brirpart parts come in a different box - clealry marked "OE quality part" Have to say that same old, same old rubbish quality parts.

Les.

No surprises there then!

My first experience with Britpart was changing the clutch master and slave cylinders. The master cylinder lasted about three or four months, however (strangely) the slave was still going strong when I sold the car around 7 years later!!

No defending Britpart

But just a question for les

Is it only moderators that can slag of companies on here . Just when anyone else does it or says anything derogatory about a company, the post get deleted and they get a warning. But it ok for you

In my experience, the old addage "you get what you pay for..." doesn't always ring true.

I use a supplier whose business is servicing Land Rovers, preping for comps etc, and will only sell parts he knows to be up to standard.

He's by no means the cheapest (purchase price) but certainly not expensive.

The point? I know I can buy a part from him, fit it, and then not worry whether it will be up to scratch. (Unlike my wife's japanese car which is on it's third clutch in as many months!)

By using this particular supplier, I can phone him up, talk to him, and he'll source the bits for me, knowing I'll be back as a repeat customer, not a customer repeatedly needing a replacement part for the dodgy (naming no names) parts other companies promote as being 'oem quality'.

But, especially in this economic climate, cheapest cost price rarely works out as cheapest option.

Is it only moderators that can slag of companies on here

Guess you don't read threads much :) Plenty of complaints from plenty of forum members about various companies, not just Britpart. Insurance comapines current thread in the int forum, but I guess you missed that one. People have a right to comment about their experiences of servicesa, parts, etc. Reasonable comment is the thing - didn't you realise that either?

Les :)

Mm sorry les but still don't agree with you

But as I have looked over the years at this forum I still stand by my comments that the moderators can post stuff that the rest of us can't.

I have had posts like this delected by you and other over the years .

Just my thoughts and as you said we have a right to comment about our experiences

Ali

I can't say I've noticed the right to slag off a poor performing company on here being moderated,unless it perhaps involved an 'effing'.

The company in question is well known in these circles, and plenty, including myself, have had a dig without being reprimanded.

All together now "It has to be fit for purpose!" regardless of the price.

So take a wheel bearing for a defender / discovery ( RTC3429 ), for the cheapest 'copy' part it trades at about £2 - that's the same from Allmakes, Bearmach and Britpart etc etc. Would you really fit it to your motor and expect it to have longevity and reliability? Maybe rely on it as you cross the Alps or a Safari in the Moroccan desert or even a local winch comp??

‘ Fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality, sale of goods act ‘ - whatever, would you really??

Some Britpart bits are ok. Their replacement kits for the Safari door bolts look good :rolleyes: . As for wheel bearings the best is to buy SKF or other good quality stuff - it doesn't matter what the box says it's what is engraved on the bearing that counts.

well i bought a Britpart front propshaft for my 300 disco last august and the ujs failed this week

the ujs looked like the seal was damaged on fitting

now fitted GKN hd ujs so just hope the rest of the prop is ok

And who makes propshafts for Britpart? Last standard front prop I fitted was stamped GKN.

Niamh