Tow vehicle

What tow vehicles do people use.

Currently i Have a D40 2005 Navara Manual,

Which pulls my 90 around on the trailer perectly fine, How ever fuel consumption is the killer.

None towing i get about 400miles from full to empty. 80ltr tank i think. which is exceptable.

BUT towing it drops to 200 miles a tank = Not good.

Is there anything that will be better than this love the truck , but transportation is a killer.

Any ideas. upto £8000

What tow vehicles do people use.

Currently i Have a D40 2005 Navara Manual,

Which pulls my 90 around on the trailer perectly fine, How ever fuel consumption is the killer.

None towing i get about 400miles from full to empty. 80ltr tank i think. which is exceptable.

BUT towing it drops to 200 miles a tank = Not good.

Is there anything that will be better than this love the truck , but transportation is a killer.

Any ideas. upto £8000

what speed do you tow at ?

Dont get me wrong i love the game to foot to the floor, using all the gears, making caravans wobble as you pass them :ph34r: and turning the front of the trailer black...

by if I turn the tap down a bit sit and cruise with the faster lorries a 56 ish it make a massive difference to the mpg esp on a long motorway trips

These days finding any vehicle that can legally tow 3.5 tonne is becoming harder.

These days finding any vehicle that can legally tow 3.5 tonne is becoming harder.

Unless you look at the big SUVs like ML, X5...

I'm very happy with the P38 as a towvehicle. Used to have the 2.5 DT, not a lot of power to spare, and as a result consumption increased a lot when towing. Then a 4.0 and now a 4.6, much more relaxed and the effect on mileage is much smaller, making it considerably more economical (on LPG) when towing.

My Ml before Towed really well. 2.7 diesel.

Cant recall what mp i was gettin with it while towin as i dont think my truck was ready and usable hense the lack of use.

Was at yarwell at weekend.

so stuck to around 55mph /60mph and occasionally hit 70mph. naughty me hey.

But on the way up there i was using a47 so to behonest averaged at 55mph ,

Some people mention chipping it . would make a bi difference while towing, most people were stating i may get 100miles more to a tank while towing. although not sure i believe it.

Other thoughts were to buy a iveco or transit recovery truck, 55 plate ish. as i can use it for work but again not sure on consumption,

I guess i could hire one out for the day when i next use the 90' that way id have a good comparison to what mpg i would retain.

All I can say is watch your weight limit if you go down the transit/Iveco route. Although they are perfectly capable of carrying your 90 if they are rated at 3.5 tonnes (most Transits are and some Ivecos too) you will be well overwieght with a landrover on there. And don't think the C&E won't bother pulling you. They are wising up as their budget shrinks! Best way to pull a Land Rover is with another Land Rover. Late TD5 Disco will do the job very well and are getting to be affordable with cheaper parts support coming on line all the time. Late ones have far less problems than the earlier "lets do our product testing on the customer" versions! :D

We used to move my mates 90 around to comps on the back of 57 plate Navara, sitting at a steady 55 to 60mph was giving 16mpg!!

We now use my Iveco Cargo 7.5 tonner and I get about 17 to 18 mpg. I suppose its all down to how hard the vehicle is working compared to its maximum train weight. A 2.5 Navara with a 90 is close to maximum, whilst my 3.9 Iveco hardly notices the 90 is in the back!

I use a td5 110 to drag our 90 to competitions. It has been chipped and has an uprated intercooler on it too, and does far better mpg with the chip than it did without.

It will happily sit at 60 all day without issue, although the transmission does get a little warm on a run...

hth

Mark

So not too far off what you could get from a luxurious 4.6 P38 if you avoided racing it :unsure:

I tow with a cam'd 4.6 p38 and my fuel economy is appauling !

Down to 7mpg (on lpg) if i'm towing on A roads in hilly terrain ! About 10 on the motorway.

I'm seriously considering a new tow truck at the moment. A bit out of your price range but i really like the dodge ram srt 10, but it's only 2wd :( So looking along the lines of a big diesel ram 2500, f250 etc.

G

Nissan Patrol 4.2 TDi, pulls anything except a women

Does in a straight line, no hint of a wobble even at 80mph+ (tut tut), loads of storage, autobox, air con, seats 7,

20+mpg without trailer, 18'ish on Motorway with trailer, 25Mpg behind a Polish artic without getting stoopid close....

I've had V8 Rangeys and 200Tdi Disco but nothing feels as in control as the Nissan, it just does it with no frills or exitement

So it's a Patrol, Landcruiser or Big Yank orrrrr 7.5 tonne Pickey Wagon

Saley has 7.5 tonne recovery truck/beavertail with Hiab and flashing lights, followed by his old carp'avan, nobody flashes him in anymore PIKEYS ...

Good luck hard choice

Saley has 7.5 tonne recovery truck/beavertail with Hiab and flashing lights, followed by his old carp'avan, nobody flashes him in anymore PIKEYS ...

Good luck hard choice

Nothing beats a bit of weight when towing :rolleyes: don't even notice 3.5 tons of car and trailer behind the 16 tons of coach :D

But only gets 9mpg (but it is equivalent to 18mpg of 2 vans and trailers it replaced)

use to tow with a 300 tdi 90, but got fed up of competing all day and then getting in a 90 to do a 100 or so miles home.

Upgraded to disco 3 TDV6 which I then chipped. Tows lovely, very smooth! infact as im sure Boothy has the same problem with his Nissan you forget your towing then you see the speed your doing and have to back off! Also lovely and comfy, climate control etc... and heated seat to get some warmth back in you after a day or 2 playing!

averaging between 20-24 mpg while towing.

Also towed across Europe twice in a land cruiser 100 series, also a fantastic place to be and effortless towing.

The disco's are getting around the 10k mark for a low end spec one now.

As Mark says the LAW are getting wise to all the old tricks now so be sensible, even if you don't get pulled if you have an accident or something?

Dan

I cant see that link at college, is it the one with a unimog (yellow?) on a trailer going over a bridge?

Nope

Some black saloon towing a similar car that looks like a track car on a large trailer.

Must have been breaking the 75% guideline and thus easy for the tail to wag the dog.

• 2 weeks later...