Twin shock mounts Rear

robhybrid

Gwyn Lewis has finally managed to sort out his design of twin rear shock mount and they will be on display on his vehicle at Billing this coming week.

I think they look the part and don't affect ground clearance like some others do.

so here goes Three pictures.

11072011297 (Small).jpg

11072011299 (Small).jpg

11072011296 (Small).jpg

Thing to remember with twing shocks is that they musn't be the same damping rate. I had a long chat with the CEO/Owner of Fulcrum about this a couple of years ago - he did explain the formula to me but I forget the simplest of things these days...

Its an age thing!

Is 2x shocks + twin shock mount any more effective than just buying a single, better quality shock in the first place? :unsure:

From an ability to dissapate heat, I would have to say yes.

2 x quality shocks and you are laughing :)

i queery use in speed events,never fitted twin dampers to either gravel or tarmac rally cars,and they go a weeee bit faster and on equally damaging terrain,i am not critising gwynne lewis here,there must be a percieved market or he wouldn,t have developed the kit,i second the single quality remote resevoir shock.

I reckon twin shocks would be ok on an the back of an overlandy type thing for unmetaled road and corrugations - would definately help keep the heat down, but with one heavy duty - shock and the second one much softer acting as a helper - even just a standard woodhead.

Think this particular design would create to much stress on a single chassis point though over prolonged periods with lots of weight in the back. Don't spose thats what they've designed em for anyway though.

the problem with one shock is the oil ~(if its an oil shock) can seperate and air bubbles will form during hard use, which renders them much less useful as the air stops the system working effectively.

The reason i have done this kit is because customers keep asking for them, yes they are more for heavy veacules to stop the bounce and boddy roll,but still wanting the articulation, the X-Eng antiroll bar system is one way forward to stop body roll, but wont stop the bouncing around, yes you could fit 1 big shock with firmer damping, but the trouble with this is the bushes distroy themselves as the bush is flexing much more, for high speed comping i thinck a diferent setup is required on the back, the trouble with the Land Rover setup is as the axle is pushed up the less damping you have because the shock is at an angle and gets more horizontal giving less damping, this is ideal for slow challenge events as it allows the axle to go up easier and quicker, for high speed you need the damper upright giving the same damping all the time, thats why you see a lot puting the front shock setup on the back, for high speed you dont want to much drop on the suspension as it could allow your wheel to drop into a large hole, you need more compression for when you land hard.

I am taking all your coments in and maybe see you at the show so you can see for yourselves.

Must get back to loading up for the show.

Gwyn