CVs

LandyManLuke

I'm after a pair of CVs for the 90, and whilst i can't afford a pair of Ashcroft or Longfield CVs, I don't want to fit something akin to dairy milk.

Paddocks have them for about ~£30, I'm presuming these come in either dairy milk or yorkie flavours.

My local indy (Mansfield 4x4) are quoting ~£70, which i'm hoping will buy me a better CV.

Does anyone have experience of who makes 'alright' CVs, and for what sort of money?

Cheers

Luke

The cheapest ones from Devon 4x4 or Bearmach are reasonable. They are not particularly strong, but when they break, they break the shaft connecting the bell to the drive flange.

If when a CV breaks, the bell shatters, it fills your swivel housing with thousands of metal splinters which eat seals (and in my case a chrome ball).

If the shaft breaks, it's a lot cleaner and it makes the whole thing much quicker & easier to replace.

One day, I'll buy some of the Ashcroft ones - but in the mean time, it's the el-cheapo ones for me!

Si

Erm,

Not sure how you come to that conclusion Will !

Saty :

Steep hill, with a big xle twister, Open diffs, std shafts, wheel in air, full lock, lots of rpm,.....

wheel comes down hard, big grippy tyre connects with say tree root = CV Blown (or shaft or even both)

Nige

Nige, I certainly haven't ever seen anyone on standard shafts with staindard, sheer pin, diffs break a CV that wasn't badly worn or running dry. There may be some 'special' cases out there but I think shafts or diff centres will break first. My point was really that until you uprate diff centres and halfshafts the CVs shouldn't cause any problems.

yeah i've seen a few CV's go,

Seven Sisters- 4:45pm on Sunday in the waterfall- november -5 degrees and quite damp.

Reversing up a bank with full lock. Bit of boot. Bang. CV completely destroyed. Stering locked in position. Q next 3 hours stripping the hub down. 2 cases of near hypothermia and 3 of exhaustion!

So in conclusion- aftermarket CVs could save you from a near death exeperience!

ive got two of those £25+vat el-cheapo CVs from paddocks. so far after a year & a bit in the boot they havent even broken the plastic wrapper, not sure how useful that information is.

still got the original CVs in sticky, not even gone clicky yet. only blown CVs ive seen were in zooks or LRs with dry swivels.

Hi FYI data from our test rig, all at full lock, 30 deg :

genuine AEU2522 will fail at 4154 ft/lb, bell shatters

cheapo, paddock etc, fail at 4242 ft/lb, stub shaft shear

genuine 32 spline, fail at 3713 ft/lb, usually halfshaft shear in CV

Ashcroft ones, 5734 ft/lb BUT the CV didn't fail, the HD shaft did !

yeah i've seen a few CV's go,

Seven Sisters- 4:45pm on Sunday in the waterfall- november -5 degrees and quite damp.

Reversing up a bank with full lock. Bit of boot. Bang. CV completely destroyed. Stering locked in position. Q next 3 hours stripping the hub down. 2 cases of near hypothermia and 3 of exhaustion!

So in conclusion- aftermarket CVs could save you from a near death exeperience!

I had a similar CV blow up, in a forest, the steering was locked solid on full lock, took a lot of effort to get it out, and onto the flatbed taxi.

When I got it home - I had to make a spanner to get the caliper off !!

Very interesting Dave, good to see some numbers :)

Well when I said "good" ... mine being original has gen 32 spline ones so maybe not.... :(

I had a similar CV blow up, in a forest, the steering was locked solid on full lock, took a lot of effort to get it out, and onto the flatbed taxi.

When I got it home - I had to make a spanner to get the caliper off !!

In a forest ( well a small group of trees) and we were able to recover you out relatively easy.

the one at 7s was in a stream, in the dark, wet and muddy and for some reason the two blokes whose vehicle it was were cold whilst matt and i were muddy and greasy. They were the furthest point from the trailer, full right hand lock and the tracks were not wide enough to drag them about 2 miles back to the main part of the site.

At one point i had to swap the series for the 110 as it was getting too dark to drive the series back to the trailer with no lights.

Paul

Will ………………. This is planet Earth and its Friday the 18th August 2006 ……………….. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………………… I always considered the AEU2522 to be the ‘daddy’ of the non up-rated bunch, and I always considered the el cheapo to be vastly inferior (based largely on the price of chocolate :D ) ……but its looks like the el cheapo’s have just got the edge ……… of which I am a little surprised ……. :huh:

Dave…………. With the cheapo, were the test figures reliably repeatable, …………. coz if that’s the case, then I know where my monies going until I find the time to upgrade the front axle the ‘Ashcroft way’

Ian

Will ………………. This is planet Earth and its Friday the 18th August 2006 ……………….. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………………… I always considered the AEU2522 to be the ‘daddy’ of the non up-rated bunch, and I always considered the el cheapo to be vastly inferior (based largely on the price of chocolate :D ) ……but its looks like the el cheapo’s have just got the edge ……… of which I am a little surprised ……. :huh:

Dave…………. With the cheapo, were the test figures reliably repeatable, …………. coz if that’s the case, then I know where my monies going until I find the time to upgrade the front axle the ‘Ashcroft way’

Ian

I doubt the results on the cheapo ones are reliably repeatable. For example, I fitted a pair of cheap (AUS$165) birfields to a friends hybrid, with 4.6 litre engine, 165:1 crawl ratio and 38'' tSLs. During shakedown testing, one broke at the stubshaft so clean that you'd think it was cut with a saw and the ends polished. We replaced it with a stock RangeRover one and stub shaft and continued testing. The opposite one failed a short time later, also at the stubshaft, but it broke into a spiral shape like a coil spring,this destroyed the stub axle, split a wheel bearing, stretched the drive flange bolts. This was also replaced with a stock Rangey cv and stub shaft until we were able to get a good used pair of genuine birfields from a stage 1 v8. The testing ,over a period of several weeks was completed to our satisfaction on the Rangey cv's without failure.

Bill.

Thanks for the figures Dave, interesting reading. As Ian says, any idea what sort of repeatability there is with those figures?

Thanks

Luke

Hi,

we broke a few of them at Billing but to be honest I was busy holding the shield down to stop any debris coming out and hitting the crowd rather than watching the pressure gauge but as far as I am aware they didn't vary all that much,

interesting that the el-cheapo beat genuine cadburys, sounds like you get less bits to dig out from the description of what shatters too. cheers for that info, i didnt know 4x4 parts could be described by solid fact till now.

i'll leave my stock ones in & replace with el-cheapo if/when they go then as i cant afford to go the ashcroft route. plus im only planning to run 33s so i wont put as much load on them as some people.

Dave have you done any tests on the difference between shear strength at full lock and with the wheels in the straight ahead position? I guess the CV's are significantly weaker on full lock, just wondered by how much?