I've been with NFU for quite a while now and all has been well. This years renewal came through, my normal payments were about £30 a month this has now shot up to £87 a month.

Has anyone else had a similar unexplained rise? 110CSW, SDP, driver aged 47, 65% NCB protected?

I dont usually check for a new policy at renewal time but might do this time, 25% increase is harsh but wearable, close to 200% does not make much sense particularly when you look back complaints there seem to anecdotes of 30% increase per year or more. Mind you their executives seem well paid.

are you dealing with NFU through your local agent or direct ?

mine went up by around £40 this year, I deal with the agent in Yeovil [my local agent when I lived there] & haven't bothered to change to my nearest NFU agent/office since moving to Cornwall.

I have just been in and had it out with them over my renewal, although to be fair is nothing like as bad as yours! Managed to get £32 off on the car but nothing on the Disco commercial. Still comes in at £800 for the 2 which is £80 more than last year (car + £31, LR + £49). I changed my farm and business insurance away from them last year to the Farmers Union of Wales so will be getting a quote from them too for the vehicles and see what I can get.

I had been with them 13 years - same vehicle, same post code, no claims in that time, They wanted £532 to renew, when it was £251 before . I rang them and the only reason given was: "you don't garage the vehicle". I replied: that I have never garaged a car in my life and I have never had a claim in 48 years, So what has changed? But that was it, they would not even give a discount . Lowest quoted from MoneySuperMarket.com I got was £175

Don't want to rub salt in but my NFU insurance came down £83 this year! I also lost the swankey trailer at Christmas (came unhitched) and they paid me out £500 (which is what I paid for it 6 years ago) and they paid it within 2 weeks of the claim. There was no excess to pay either. I deal with my local office and not direct. I have had bad experiences in the past though.

I have 3 vehicles insured with them 2 Discos and a 110, went up from just over 900 to 1300, no claims, 65% discount etc age 59 they are taking the tiddle.

Time to move on i think have already had one quote for £910 for all 3.

My son phoned for a quote on a Corsa 1400 petrol to replace his TD5 Disco they wanted an EXTRA £150 for the Corsa, according to NFU its a higher insurance group, so he is moving as well.

Keith

After 2 requotes its now down a staggering £200, however its still over twice my previous premium. Some feedback from NFU was that all postcodes had been reviewed and mine was now a very bad area for insurance fraud. Might be cobblers, might be time to move house! Will be looking at others and report back, anyone tried tescos for land rover insurance?

One thing to be aware of is that the cheaper quotes may not give you as much cover or may refuse to pay out if your car is not factory standard. I have tried others and when I get to the bit, well I've changed the 19J for a 200TDi they glaze over and say that it cannot be covered. Let alone the spot lamps, swing away rear wheel carrier, snorkel, veggie conversion.....

I have heard of one insurer that refused to pay out because the car was no longer standard as it had a towbar fitted (by a recognised firm), but the insurer considered the car was no longer "factory standard".

So far, even with the increases I have stuck with NFU as overall I haven't been able to get a better deal elsewhere.

Cheers

Peter

One thing to be aware of is that the cheaper quotes may not give you as much cover or may refuse to pay out if your car is not factory standard. I have tried others and when I get to the bit, well I've changed the 19J for a 200TDi they glaze over and say that it cannot be covered. Let alone the spot lamps, swing away rear wheel carrier, snorkel, veggie conversion.....

I have heard of one insurer that refused to pay out because the car was no longer standard as it had a towbar fitted (by a recognised firm), but the insurer considered the car was no longer "factory standard".

So far, even with the increases I have stuck with NFU as overall I haven't been able to get a better deal elsewhere.

Cheers

Peter

I've found exactly the same. There are very few insurers that actually tolerate the changes we make to our vehicles. For the 110 CSW owners with 12 seats. its also worth checking the insurance firm covers for this - most i have asked do not. The exceptions are Flux and NFU (Footman James wouldnt let me take seats out and wouldnt cover me with them in either!!). For this reason i have stayed with NFU (they also matched last years premium too at renewal this year)

So getting a bog standard landrover might be a more economic move? Certainly cheaper than moving house. I'll probably stay NFU this year, come next year they will need to be matching this years premium, I cannot wear the near £1000 a year for a G reg 110. Makes you wonder how the more expensive cars in my street can actually be insured.....

Adrian Flux put my insurance up this year as well by £100 - couldn't believe it. Never had an accident, never claimed, isn't insurance supposed to go down if you keep your nose clean?

About to swap the policy to my 110 instead. Dreading the price hike...

Further clarification from the Police last night, whilst accidents and crime in my area are low insurance (car) fraud is high shows you where all the crash-for-cash scroats live so we can pop round and give them some real whiplash injuries to claim for.

Just wanted to add that I'm also getting stung by this.

I have a VW Golf that my wife drives and have just had the automatic renewal - up by £110 per year! I have never claimed etc etc.

My Defender insurance is due for renewal in six weeks so I'm going to visit the local NFU office on Monday to try and pre-empt a huge hike!

Been with NFU for years.....

Remember, apart from all the stolen vehicles and "whiplash" claims we're all paying for, the likes of Autoglass have convinced the public to have every little chip on their windscreens repaired "free" at the insurance companys expense. At £35 a go that gets passed back to us in increased premiums.

with regards to the nfu,i have been with them for 17 years,had a couple of claims,they are excellent to deal with,very helpful,unlike tesco insurance,ask me how i know!the nfu are not competative on normal cars though but i still rate them for landrover insurance.

my renewal cam the friday had gone up from £260 with brake down cover to £337

best quote i get was £240+ brake down cover form a company i've never heard of

got on the phone to NFU monday got them to £299,

so i have stayed with NFU as i know thay pay when you have an bump witch some make you work hard for any money

NFU just quoted me £318 for the 90, but that includes a lot of extras I don't need, such as RAC (repair and Recovery to a workshop).

My current insurance, arranged through SureTerm Direct the renewal is £265, not. inc. legal, NCD protection, temporary car etc.

So, I'm likely to stay with the current policy. I really want to find an agreed value cover after all the refurbishment work that has gone on...

Cheers,

NFU just quoted me £318 for the 90, but that includes a lot of extras I don't need, such as RAC (repair and Recovery to a workshop).

My current insurance, arranged through SureTerm Direct the renewal is £265, not. inc. legal, NCD protection, temporary car etc.

So, I'm likely to stay with the current policy. I really want to find an agreed value cover after all the refurbishment work that has gone on...

Cheers,

Have you tried Adrian Flux for a policy? Mine will them will be agreed value when I get round to filling in the forms and cleaning the truck to take the pictures.

Hi. Insurance - just renewed mine. AA quoted £195 for the year for myself and wife as named drivers (max no claim discount) and with 4000 miles and business use. Mine is a 1987 "90" with a 200 tdi Disco engine (12L) which is declared. This quote was a lot higher than last year's so I challenged it and got it down to £175. I also asked Footman James (now Aon) to quote. They declined to quote as the car had been modified (the engine change). Good luck folks.

Interestingly my Mercedes (E320 estate) insurance has reduced this year.

I used to be with NFU but changed to Flux a few years ago. Flux don't mind what mods I have done as long as I tell them. Its TPFT only they arn't covering the toys (agreed value tho) - I've looked about but no one wants to touch mods (eg a set of spots is a mod).

NFU were ok for mods but if you spoke to the wrong person - things were difucult, eg 'I need an engineers report for changing the engine' and 'what will you be doing to warrant the fitting of an anti-roll cage?'

Never had any problems with Flux.