Can anyone help with rounded caliper bolts??

SharkyMarc

Afternoon all, in the middle of doing all my bearings, and on the last corner the two caliper bolts are completely round!

I haven't got a welder so weld a nut on, are there any ways people can think of of getting them out??

If anyone is around the redhill way and can help I'd be happy to give some cash in hand to get this done!

Cheers in advance :)

The Irwin type extractors will not work on Caliper bolts as the bolts are 12 sided and the extractors are 6.

I'd recommend the next smaller socket trick and if that fails, stilsons will remove most things!

I'm not far from Redhill if you need help.

Si

A 1/2 inch Irwin extractor worked on one of my 110 caliper bolts earlier today. I tapped it on gently with a hammer and then turned very slowly so as not to twist it off. The head of the bolt was almost rounded completely from my previous attempts to remove it!

seems there are a few of us with the same problems at the same time!....:

http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=76882

Nowhere near enough room to get stilsons in there on my 110 Si. Not sure if there is on a disco though.

I've used the Irwin extractors on rounded 6 and 12 point bolt heads and locking wheel nuts that were completely round where the key was broken/lost , very useful tool and grips whatever is left of a fixing ,providing the remains come within the size range of the sockets

iirc Snap-on do a similar set.

cheers

Steveb

From the factory, the bolts are retained to the axle-flange using a blue "Loctite" type threadlocking compound.

As you've discovered, it's rather effective.

I'd recommend getting some heat into the heads of the bolts before trying further removal. A good blast from a normal blowlamp for a few minutes will help break the threadlock's seal.

And in future, use a proper 12-point bit. That's *not* the same animal as a 12-point bit for a traditional hex-headed bolt. . .

--Tanuki.

And in future, use a proper 12-point bit. That's *not* the same animal as a 12-point bit for a traditional hex-headed bolt. . .

--Tanuki.

Oooo another new tool to buy, I didn't know they existed :) This really is a day of discoveries for me :)

To be fair, my bolt extractors are Snap-on, not Irwin - and they did not work on Caliper bolts. However, I had some small Stilsons which did work, though it was tight. This was on my 110 (never owned a Disco).

Si

Slightly O/T but still related:

Can anyone tell me the size/point me to a linky of the socket I need to strip an early 110 front axle. There appear to be these triple-square bolt thingies holding the cv/balljoint housing to the main axle itself. I'm going to do a front axle strip next w/e and I'd rather try to undo them with the correct thule rather than waster hours trying drill out snapped ones....

Matt

9/16" ring spanner and a hammer, if they are a little corroded use a 14mm spanner (very slightly smaller) and tap the ring of the spanner in place.

You won't get a socket on, not enough room to the ball. :)