What have I done?

What you have done? You've bought one of the best off road vehicles available! Those 80series are plain awesome! A proper engine with a good drivetrain. Has it got the E-lockers?

You planning on fixing it and driving it or transplanting the drivetrain into a LR and finally have a decent drivetrain?

You have the makings of an extreme hill climber. Strip the lot put a roll cage in, long travel shocks and I'm sure you will play with the electronics on the 4.2. Think you can squeeze around 250Bhp out of that? Ha

What electronics? unless it's an FTE it's a 1wire diesel. And yes, you can even squeeze out around 230WHP , with a Gturbo, intercooler, big bore exhaust and turned up fuel pump..

Those engines are wicked!

What you have done? You've bought one of the best off road vehicles available! Those 80series are plain awesome! A proper engine with a good drivetrain. Has it got the E-lockers?

You planning on fixing it and driving it or transplanting the drivetrain into a LR and finally have a decent drivetrain?

that has broken already in this case :ph34r::hysterical:

I had planned to do a little overlanding next year and was wondering what vehicle to use. Then this came along! Sorted.

The first problem will be getting it started. It's been stood for about 5 years I think.

I'm hoping the gearbox issue is just a stuck valve/electrical problem. Once it's running, I'll drive it around for a bit and see how together the rest of the vehicle is.

And yes - it has e-lockers.

Does anyone know anything about these gearboxes? I've got the workshop manual, but autos are a new thing for me.

If it's stuck in first, first job is a filter and fluid change, followed by two more fluid changes, most likely stuff is gummed up inside, stopping it getting enough oil to change gear.

Also check the kickdown cable isn't jammed.

The landcruiser auto is not the best , they had a rep for hunting gears when on a long climb . The manual version will see about 20/22 mpg at reasonable speeds , if pushed hard 11/12 mpg is possible. They have plenty of grunt without modding , and i would suggest that you leave it standard for reliability . They benefit from fitting really good dampers , and there were some stability issues with early coil models resulting in the suspension being lowered slightly by the manufacturer. The aircon is light years better than landrover :o but if used on soft sand at high ambient you may need to switch off the aircon to avoid engine o/heat. From my experience they are more like a 130 to drive than a range rover , but their rep is not totally undeserved!! JMHO

• 3 weeks later...

If it's stuck in first, first job is a filter and fluid change, followed by two more fluid changes, most likely stuff is gummed up inside, stopping it getting enough oil to change gear.

Also check the kickdown cable isn't jammed.

10 points that man*! Changed the oil and suddenly it's all working!

Really quite impressed with this machine actually. I might be becoming a convert.

* No cash value.