self leveling unit, repair??

The leveller has really been clunking away today. Looked at it this evening and it appears to have spat its oil out of the top. I'm going to fit TD5 CSW springs for now, but I will talk to Pleiades - they can look at both of my units together if they wish. I'll keep my current springs so if I can get a working leveller, they can go back on.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a pity it didn't work, i am also a great fan of the unit. Have been watching this thread with great anticipation. I hope Pleiades can see what the problem is as i would like to keep mine instead of changing the springs.

• 2 years later...

Sorry. I'm afraid I gave up. Soon after I removed the unit I started working further away and couldn't keep going back and forth to Pleiades with the units (they were local to where I was living when this started, but they are now over two hours drive away). I still have them, so if someone wants to take this on, they are free to whoever can collect.

The td5 CSW springs I have now are fine, but the ride is a little harsh unladen compared to the leveller/softer spring combo. I preferred the latter, but need the land rover running for daily use so didn't have time to persevere with this.

• 1 year later...

I have two range rover classics and although my boge is still working - I am looking into an alternative project, its got its ups and downs, but the basics are in the picture, a scania series 4 cab air bag, truck air suspension valve and onboard compressor with a little reservoir - I like trick suspension and like the idea of it leveling as soon as someone gets in or out, its really not that expensive,

65 for cab airbag, 45quid for the febi valve, 65quid for ring900 compressor an old air cylinder of a broken jag for 45quid and some air line tubing, a pressure switch will be about 35 quid, 18£ for two new end joints

the only issue I have to overcome with an engineering firm, is the connection between the ball joints (photoed at the ends in the plastic bags) and the threads on the cab suspension. it will need a machined piece made.

Anyone with good eyesight can see the cab stem is allot smaller than original boge - but remember that is only the damper, the boge carries the force... and the damping, on my solution the shaft stabilizes and dampens, the bag and bag plate puts creates the force.

Any how it may or may-not work, and its a slow project I will finish over the next year I expect,

IMG_20161216_143318.jpg

On 22/12/2016 at 5:18 PM, tacr2man said:

Is there any connection between the top mount and the bottom other than the airbag ? eg is it a bag over s/absorber ?

yes the bag is over the shock absorber so it keeps the whole thing in line from ball joint to ball joint, one of the failed attempts was a air spring off an audi A8 (D3) when I released the pressure there was no shaft stability.  so no good for the A frame setup, and it was too big, I did the whole thing by eye  from the motor way and was looking at lorry cab air bags and spotted them, and I was lucky its nearly bang on.

this all looks good in theory and It will all fit but the biggest issue may be when its all together I put 10 Bar (circa 150psi) in the airbag and the vehicle hardly moves, that will be game over really, 200psi Will be pushing it all too far.

I will need to dig out the part numbers as the bag and the shock unit come as separate items, below is what I ordered... but the bloke emailed me and asked what lorry it was going on.... I said what I was doing and he sent 'something out', I  need to physically get the part number off the shock itself to check

SCANIA 4 SERIES REAR CAB SHOCK ABSORBER 1381906 (needs checking)

SCANIA 4 SERIES CAB SUSPENSION AIR BAG 1424231 1349840
1x Febi Suspension Level Valve - 23563

• 4 months later...

I'll just post this up here again. If anyone wants my two old self leverllers, even if its just for the ends or something, they are still at the back of the garage and you are welcome to them FOC. One was semi working and the other has had new seals, but spat all of its oil out so may just need refilling. 

On 2017-5-19 at 6:48 AM, reb78 said:

I'll just post this up here again. If anyone wants my two old self leverllers, even if its just for the ends or something, they are still at the back of the garage and you are welcome to them FOC. One was semi working and the other has had new seals, but spat all of its oil out so may just need refilling. 

Hi

I've just tested mine today by loading up and it did not provide any lift. I'm googling this afternoon to see about repair and came across this thread

I am about 80 miles from you but am happy to drive across to collect these two units, do you still have them available

Kind regards

You are very welcome to them. I can't bear throwing things that may be useful to someone away! 

I forget how many posts you need to send and receive PMs, but I'll try sending you one later with my email address on. 

• 1 year later...

Hi

Search for repairing the Boge strut and turned up here.

This is an old thread, anyone got anything to add?

My RR Boge is dead, bought a new one for a 110, fitted, dead. The ride quality on standard springs is miserable, so want to improve it.

Did anyone ever take one to pieces?

reb78, did you pass on your old Boge struts? Thought the one that got rebuilt might be possible to work out how they come to pieces. Yes, I know they have high pressure gas in them, but to me they seem nothing more than a fancy reservoir out of a hydraulic system, take it into the local repair place and ask.

• 9 months later...

And so the topic continues to live!

I'm trying to get my unit replaced / serviced at the moment.

Kingsley have them for about two grand with a 300 quid trade in https://www.kingsleycars.co.uk/boge-self-leveling-unit/ 

Someone called black landy has got ZF to refurb theirs (ZF own boge etc) - https://www.zf.com/site/tradition/en/zf_tradition.html 

I've mailed ZF to see if they still do the refurbs as it sounds like they are more around the 500quid mark (well that was a few years ago).  Seems these are very similar to units that Merc used on some of their classics.

I owned 3 Citroen BX which have similar technics. When you waited to long with refilling nitrogen, the diaphragm inside the gas container got damaged and leaky. The gas container looks like Citroen. That means, if the diaphragm inside is gone, try to find a Citroen one if the thread fits. There existed the possibility to put a valve in the top of the gas container to refill it easily. Normally they died from loosing pressure slowly until the diaphragm got inside contact to the top of the container. Then there was friction to the diaphragm and made it leaky ... over. That means in most cases high pressure is gone.

As I know from Citroen struts, they have some teflon seals inside. Makes it a bit special.

I have two old self leveling units and will repair them ... someday ... yes, someday 🤨

• Like 1