Roof leaking

Hi, my roof leaks on one side when the landy is pointing engine up hill. The water accumulates around the rear of the truck in a sort of recess at the bottom of the roof where it meets the side panel and runs onto my shoulder when I brake or level out.

Has anyone got a cross sectional diagram / picture or the mating surfaces of roof and side panel so I can picture the set up and not just apply sealant willy nilly?

Also any tips? I have tried to seal but just cannot figure it out where it is coming from had a hose pipe on it for ages but found no leaks...it rains and it leaks aaaaaarggh.

Ta

hahaha, i kinda agree with Julian... I left on purpose gaps in the floor seals so I could let the water out... The defender roof is a pain full stop. even when you stop the rain water leaks, I get condensation build up and when you go around a corner it all runs off the roof to a corner and wets you anyways... if you look in the tech archive there is tha "water ingress" manual which gives direction of know water problems.

Mav

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi yes I do have the rear vents but pretty sure the water is not coming from that area, I have put roof sealant in the gutter and think this may have solved it, not fully sure yet as it is in the garage having the cranckshaft oil seal renewed

Hi Dioliahary, I took mine off and blanked the holes after I sussed that the water running back over the roof was getting in thru them,

poor mastic between the vent and the body (I spent a lot of time on this!) It was filling the inside channel above the back door with

water and when I braked, it ran all the way back to front and ended up on my right knee! If you don't want to go

the whole hog taking them off, just cover the whole vent with wide cellotape for a while and see if it makes a difference?

Mine does it off and on, sometimes bad, other times not so bad (totally unrelated to weather!) and has being doing this for over a decade.

When its unbearable I simply stuff a J-cloth in the inside gutter bit above the window, trail the tail down and out the window (open a crack) and as you drive the wet end outside gets dried and the water wicks down from the inside and gets sooked out. Simple and effective and totally ludicrous.

(Mind you I had to do the same in the house several winters ago when the ice build-up overwhelmed the wall cavity where it meets the roof as the gutter got turned into a giant icicle, and melt water streamed inside - solved by two lengths of plastic gutter on the inside with end caps, suspended up high in the window recess, hole drilled in one end of the gutter with a j-cloth stuffed in the hole and string tied on the end of the j-cloth to wick the water down into a bucket where it could be safely dumped back outside. Insurance claims adjuster thought it was inspired.)

Mine does it off and on, sometimes bad, other times not so bad (totally unrelated to weather!) and has being doing this for over a decade.

When its unbearable I simply stuff a J-cloth in the inside gutter bit above the window, trail the tail down and out the window (open a crack) and as you drive the wet end outside gets dried and the water wicks down from the inside and gets sooked out. Simple and effective and totally ludicrous.

This is the same method I use. I wasn't brave enough to post it, I thought I'd get lots of these :rofl::rofl::rofl: