Brake line supports

Big.Mike

Other than making some steel covers or running them down a tube there isn't much that can be done. And even then stuff wraps around the axel and gives them a sharp bend at the wheel end :(

Best process is regular inspection and carry a spare. But they very often still work when flattened !

I've had brake lines failed for retention using cable ties. I've also had them pass without issue. Same tester. Make of that what you will ;)

But the proper way, or rather the way they come out of the factory, is to use the clips as Mike says above. See here:

post-10578-0-24019300-1353538780_thumb.jpg

Clips highlighted. The brake pipe should not touch the axle casing at any point, it should be supported solely by the clips, the T-piece above the diff, and the calipers themselves.

It's worth noting that plastic clips as per the above photo were used on later models. Earlier vehicles used a metal P-clip (that held it very securely but seized easily), but the same principle applied in terms of support. Think the changeover was around 300Tdi time, the above axle is 300Tdi and the axle that was on before it (200Tdi) had metal P-clips instead.

My MOT inspector told me that cable ties direct to the casing ought to be a fail but if you were to slit a rubber hose and wrap around the pipe before putting the tie around it, it will pass. As long as the pipe is supported and theres no risk of abrasion there's no reason it shouldnt pass

My MOT inspector told me that cable ties direct to the casing ought to be a fail but if you were to slit a rubber hose and wrap around the pipe before putting the tie around it, it will pass. As long as the pipe is supported and theres no risk of abrasion there's no reason it shouldnt pass

It just so happens I bought Daisy of an MOT inspector, replaced the brake line; so go figure!

It was more a "I don't like it" than a MOT concern.

Can anyone suggest any p-clips?

When I reconditioned my axle I welded tabs on to the axle and bolted small rubber lined P clips to them. I also welded some bar at the ends to support the upsweep of the pipe to the caliper and used cable ties to fasten the pipe on there after first wrapping the pipe in plastic spiral cable cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...