Non-Land Rover query - sorry

Hi Guys,

Sorry to burden you with this but being such resourceful folk I figured I'd get a useful response. Tried posting this on a so-called VW fan site but got a flat nothing back so obviously they're all a bit dim over there. My son has a 1600 2003 Golf as his first car and during some recent maintenance his heavy-handed dad (me) broke a temperature sensor which resulted in a warning on his dash stating 'Emissions - Workshop' and that little engine symbol that we all know and love. Anyway I parted with the thoroughly reasonable $170 being demanded by the dealer for the new sensor and duly installed it in the car. Unfortunately the warning message still appears and the symbol is still illuminated. Do any of you know whether the computer has to be reset in order for the message to clear? As far as I know there are no other issues that should keep the thing still lit up.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much for the rapid response. I had no idea what OBDII compliant meant however my good friend Wikipedia has filled that void in my knowledge for me. Not sure whether this is within my somewhat average electronic ability otherwise it might mean a call to Hometune. Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the rapid response. I had no idea what OBDII compliant meant however my good friend Wikipedia has filled that void in my knowledge for me. Not sure whether this is within my somewhat average electronic ability otherwise it might mean a call to Hometune. Thanks again.

It's easy enough to clear the code(s), like the others have said get yourself a code reader and have a read of the instructions. It's just a case of plugging it in and pressing a few buttoms and possibly turning the keys. I have a 'Vagscanner' for the mrs' Lupo and I find it very easy to use.

The scanner is very useful to own and I'm sure you'll use it again. It will pay for its self very quickly too! And... If you don't get on with it, some one will no doubt buy it off you!

The code readers are all over eBay, handheld ones with their own screen are about £20, USB adapters (laptop required) can be had for a fiver. Bought one of each for GF's Ibiza, both seem to work, handheld is more convenient.

They won't let you do everything the dealers can do (registering VagCom for ~$100 probably will though) but they can do the basics.

VCDS (vagcom) Lite can do most basic things like reading and clearing fault codes and is free, you just need a £10 lead for it, and this is a good starting point.

You can then register it if you need more functionality.

I doubt the code just needs reset though, VAG's are pretty sensible and if you'd fixed the fault the light should have gone out, and the fault code would have remained logged in the ECU's memory. There is presumably still a fault present, and the VCDS software will let you scan for it and find out what it is.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for some minutes and connecting it again?

My dad left his Opel (Vauxhal) Vectra (1.6 petrol) running in forward motion in a slope and the engaged reverse instead of 1st for continuing the motion. After a loud "bang" the car stopped and refused to start, showing the "engine fault" warning light. After disconnecting battery and reconnecting it, the "engine fault" warning light was off and car started at the turn of the key.

I doubt the code just needs reset though, VAG's are pretty sensible and if you'd fixed the fault the light should have gone out, and the fault code would have remained logged in the ECU's memory. There is presumably still a fault present, and the VCDS software will let you scan for it and find out what it is.

I have experienced this specific sensor failure and fault code on a 2005 Passat, and yes you will have to extinguish the light and reset the code even after fitting a new sensor.

To clarify, the light stays on even if all is now well.

I guess it could do, if the condition that triggered the light no longer exists - i.e everything now appears normal to the ECU.

I bought one of the cheap orange readers for my wifes Polo some years ago as it kept throwing the engine warning light for some lambda fault code.

Weird fault that we never totally fixed, tried various things. In the end I just kept on clearing it as you could clear the code and it would stay off for months before coming back again.

I have the airbag light on in my focus. Would one of these little electronic jobbies do the job for me ?

Mo

Possibly not Mo, the eobd and obd2 protocol are normally only for engine management, you could be lucky but normally air bag and ABS codes and data require more sophisticated equipment.

I have the gear to sort it if your passing at any point. :-)