ibex 300 build

There is a couple of tiny cracks but the machine shop reckon it'll be ok for another 50k. I had it skimmed because the head gasket blew twice in quick succession. Thanks for the offer Jason I'm getting this one running so I can rebuild the other engine. Ed your always welcome but you know that.

Mike

3 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

There is a couple of tiny cracks but the machine shop reckon it'll be ok for another 50k. I had it skimmed because the head gasket blew twice in quick succession. Thanks for the offer Jason I'm getting this one running so I can rebuild the other engine. Ed your always welcome but you know that.

Mike

Ok Mike. Good luck 👍

38 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

That might have been crankcase pressure when the gasket blew.

I think that made it worse rather than caused as the engine had been layed up for several years.

23 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

@miketomcat I have a 200 head, has the inevitable cracks between valves but areas that are normally pitted are sound, your's FOC it you need it at some point in the future, thought I had two but when I dug them out one is a 300 regards Stephen

Thank you for the offer, I'm hoping this engine will last long enough to rebuild the other one (which was always the plan). Then I can rebuild this one for the 110 leaving a spare to rebuild later. :ph34r:

So I left for work this morning but all was not well. Every time I stopped at a junction I left a cloud of steam when I pulled away, I managed to lessen this by running with a loose pressure cap but safe to say it's dead. I've ordered another head gasket and I'll pull the head off the other engine (got to remove it for the rebuild anyway). Hopefully that'll sort it for now. I suspect I cracked the head somewhere in the inlet or exhaust tract when adding cold water to a hot engine in the Hebrides and didn't spot it before machining unfortunately.

Mike

• Sad 1