ibex 300 build

8 hours ago, cackshifter said:

And at start up the vacuum pump is busy building vacuum, exhausting the air into the crankcase, and so maybe even pressurising it for a moment. Not the greatest idea, maybe the cheapest to make.

😮 how had I never thought about where the exhaust of the vacuum pump goes.... jee whiz. School day indeed.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:53 PM, miketomcat said:

At the end of the day this engine is old and would benefit from a rebuild, but then again so would the one that came out. 

...and the two that one was built from, and the four those previous two were built from... :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

...and the two that one was built from, and the four those previous two were built from... :lol:

I don't know what you mean. :ph34r:

On the basis I build and run my vehicles on a shoe string, so no an engine rebuild isn't likely any time soon. The 110 needs front discs, pads and calipers first anyway.

Mike

34 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

it is a nice spot to do it.

IMG_20220727_101941.thumb.jpg.4e4aa26edad933f648c363b222d7859c.jpg

Mike

Mike, sorry to hear about your typical land rover owners holiday; this is why my landy stays at home when I go on holiday these days.

On a more serious note, are composite head gaskets better for this? And is this what you ordered?

Daan

The gasket on there is a girling, not sure what the one coming is until it gets here. Choice was limited due to postal issues. I'm not so bothered about it being a typical land rover holiday as A, it got us here just :i-m_so_happy:and B, I'd be bored if I didn't have something to do. :ph34r:

Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Thats where mine went last time, the gaskets are really pretty hairy thin around those water holes - ironically the holes dont actually need to be there as they dont go anywhere in the head.

Didn't one of the Aussie guys on this forum have those holes welded up? 

• Like 1

Yet another testament to the 200tdi. It can haul 10 tonnes of gross train weight and the Brown family all the way to somewhere far and distant, with a blown headgasket; then be fixed in a field, with a lump hammer, broken spanner and a spoon.

Throw whatever headgasket turns up, do the holibobs, then when you get back, put an Elring on

• Like 2

21 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Just shy of 800 miles towing a trailer and a canoe on the roof with a blown head gasket, it's not bad really. 

To be fair it's not a holiday without an issue of some sort.

The tent is a helsport varanger camp 8-10.

Mike

How do you rate the tent, looking for something classy that the missus wont mind living in.

30 minutes ago, Maverik said:

How do you rate the tent, looking for something classy that the missus wont mind living in.

Not sure about Mike's ode to his american indian forebares, but I've recently swapped to a Bell Tent (from Bell Tent Boutique). I've got a 3m as it's just me and occasionall 'youngest child' but my mate has the 4m and it's huge. Doddle to put up - say ten minutes, very weather capable, can be heated, loads of accessories.

Just realised, it wasnt Bell Tent Boutique, it was https://lifeundercanvas.co.uk/product-category/canvas/bell-tents/ same tent, better guy ropes. I was over that way at Nash Oaklands and yer man at Life Under Canvas was having a bit of a sale of shop soiled stuff. Me and another mate were so impressed by the origioanl mate's Bell Tent, and another mate's Bell tent, we popped over and got spendy with the cash. Really nice bloke

So Beardy Overlanders on a Budget Society is also Bell Tent Owners On a Budget Society - which is not snigger worthy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

We've had it for a few years. It's a great tent we run a wood burner in there which is lovely in the winter or if it's wet. Ours survived force 9 up here a few years ago and a steady force 6/7 for the rest of the time.

IMG_20220410_174707.thumb.jpg.640385361193fddca6b5d61eff26ade4.jpg

Mike