ibex 300 build

• 2 months later...

I think I know, for two reasons. One, I think you might have mentioned it recently, and two, I have a very similar looking tool in my workshop. Except I didn't need to replace mine, I just forgot to fit them at build :blush:

2 minutes ago, TSD said:

I think I know, for two reasons. One, I think you might have mentioned it recently, and two, I have a very similar looking tool in my workshop. Except I didn't need to replace mine, I just forgot to fit them at build :blush:

Correct, valve stem seals. She's getting a bit smokey on overrun.

Mike

45 minutes ago, TSD said:

I always sort of assumed that wouldn't be the case on a diesel, since there's no intake vacuum to draw oil down the guides. But no practical experience either way, so :popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic

Yes , there is on over run with no throttle . Not as much as a petrol but it's there .

Steve

Oh I agree there is *some* vacuum, (by definition, otherwise no air would flow in!) but I was only thinking out loud that it if it were enough to cause smoke only on the overrun because of poor seals, then the rest of the time you'd have 15psi+ blowing the other way into the rocker box, which would put a lot of oil mist into the separator and then into the air intake pipework, and a noticeably 'oily' engine.

Even with the big turbo on the TGV engine, I never noticed any vacuum indicated on the boost gauge - one of the VDO ones for petrol engines, scaled in PSI on the boost side, and mbar on the vacuum side. Actually it does now indicate a little vacuum all the time, but that's because the boost spikes bent the needle smacking the end stop at 25psi :ph34r:

I'm not sure what other mechanisms there are for overrun oil smoke (rings? turbo oil seals?), so I'm interested to see how much difference it makes. Hopefully Mikes right, especially as my shed is full of Ibexes at the moment, would have to do a bit of shuffling to get another one in there!

22 hours ago, cackshifter said:

I seem to recall a thread about the right sort of threadlock to use to hold them on.

What a good memory recall. It was one of my threads and this link should go direct to page 2 where there is reference to Bondloc b638-50

So the plan was to do the stem seals at the weekend...... Somewhere along the line last week I managed to catch covid :banned:que a rubbish weekend especially when everyone else went down with it as well. After several days of TV, the upside is I'm feeling better and my 5 days doesn't run out till Wednesday evening. :i-m_so_happy:

I stripped the rocker shaft off found tdc and set to it the tool copied from here is fantastic. Valves 1,2 and 7,8 all done however the old seals all but fell off, really quite lose. 

IMG_20220712_154621.thumb.jpg.22250390ab1594f55fc43ce11dff28b1.jpg

Spin crank 180° ready to do piston 2 and 3, except it won't. It goes solid, try the other way....the same. :huh: after a couple of trys it goes over. 

Valves 3,5,6 again no problem, this time the seals had to be pulled off.

Valve 4 has no seal at all, that'll explain the smoke then....I hope. :blink:

I think it wouldn't turn over due to hydraulic lock caused by the lack of stem seal on valve no 4, but once back together it turns over fine.

Starts and runs fine but I can't take it for a run yet.:ph34r:

Mike

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I think it wouldn't turn over due to hydraulic lock caused by the lack of stem seal on valve no 4, but once back together it turns over fine.

Don't think it can be anything other than compression, there's only 8 things that can get in the way, and you can see them all from there :)

The only other cause, as I've told you before, is that engine is cursed - it does nothing except produce loads of power, a bit of smoke and occasional nasty surprises :P

32 minutes ago, TSD said:

Don't think it can be anything other than compression, there's only 8 things that can get in the way, and you can see them all from there :)

The only other cause, as I've told you before, is that engine is cursed - it does nothing except produce loads of power, a bit of smoke and occasional nasty surprises :P

I blame the bloke who built it up out of a broken engine and a pile of bits......no wait hang on a minute. :ph34r:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you think about it you should get very little oil leak from the missing valve seal - as the manifolds the valves run through are always positive pressure so you in theory should have more issue of pressure leakage into the rocker space.

Technically the inlet has vacuum as the piston drops until the turbo spools up so theoretically it could draw oil down at and just after start up. Similarly when you shut down any oil on the valve stem and spring cap can run straight down and pool in the ports. It is entirely possible the rings are tired especially as we think a couple were stuck when this engine went in. 

Obviously if your going to test drive nailing 1.5ton of box trailer on the back is the correct thing to do. :ph34r: so anyway it did smoke a bit initially but seems to of cleared and looks to be better than it was, I guess only time will tell.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, miketomcat said:

Technically the inlet has vacuum as the piston drops until the turbo spools up so theoretically it could draw oil down at and just after start up. Similarly when you shut down any oil on the valve stem and spring cap can run straight down and pool in the ports. It is entirely possible the rings are tired especially as we think a couple were stuck when this engine went in. 

Obviously if your going to test drive nailing 1.5ton of box trailer on the back is the correct thing to do. :ph34r: so anyway it did smoke a bit initially but seems to of cleared and looks to be better than it was, I guess only time will tell.

Mike

Hmm interesting - during the normal aspiration combustion due to low engine speed, I'd not thought about that. 👍