ibex 300 build

1 hour ago, Daan said:

I personally prefer a 300 for reasons of availability and price of parts. And easy conversion.

Not aware of the head being more prone to problems?

Heads are available for a 300 for surprisingly little money:

China head:

Cylinder Head+Valves ERR5027 for Land Rover Defender 2.5L 300tdi Discovery NEW | eBay

London Head:

LAND ROVER DEFENDER 300TDI CYLINDER HEAD BUILT UP NEW - LDF500180COM | eBay

I am not 100%, but I think you can fit a 300 head on a 200?

Daan

300's were always more subject to head cracking - the quality of the castings was much lower. Made in turkey to reduce the engine costs down

Although still a good engine, they were 

Less fuel efficient

More prone to overheating and damage from over heating

Less easy to tune

Far more unforgiving of poor injector maintenance

Far more susceptable to high EGT

Buy we are talking small issues really. the Overheating was down to the pump position. Far less water loss created problems and the water jacket was much smaller than the 200 anyway

They are both amazing engines that really don't get appreciated enough

Edited to point out the inherant weekness in the 300 oil pump and vacuum pump

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daan said:

I am not 100%, but I think you can fit a 300 head on a 200?

Daan

I believe you need to fit the pistons too. 

The bottom line is I have a 200 fitted, I like the 200, there's a 200 in the wife's 110, the 200 has better mpg than anything else, the 300 is not enough better to warrant the agro and I don't have the money to do a conversion of any type. So I'll be repairing and keeping a 200 TDI.

Mike

• Like 2

Pulled the head off the low oil pressure engine last night and gave it a quick clean up ready to go on. Worryingly three of the push rods on that engine were bent but it ran fine bar low oil pressure. I'm pretty sure I've not had that head off before but did check the valve clearance a while ago. :blink:

Mike

• Like 1

1 minute ago, western said:

possibly had a timing belt break at some point, just swap the bent rods for known straight ones, the pushrods bent so the vaalves/piston only touch without wrecking eachother.

Yeah that was my thought I guess the previous owner just changed the belt and didn't check them. Not worried as that is the engine I'm going to rebuild anyway.

Mike

• Like 3

Well I've swapped the head tonight but haven't had chance for a good run (it'll get one on the way to work in the morning) but fingers crossed it seems ok.

I have found the crack in the other head so that's good I have something to pin the problems on but a shame the heads a right off.

IMG_20220929_200014.thumb.jpg.c7cea870a66402304771dfaa94ba8ac3.jpg

The crack is the vertical line above the valve stem and just to the left of the valve guide in the picture.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, markyboy said:

Thanks, Daan, you 'went' where I didn't dare 🙊 🤣

We promote the correct use of the English language on LR4x4.

Interesting it has to come from a Dutch man, who to all intents and purposes, is still learning!

Mike, I am glad to hear your car is working again.

Daan

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Daan said:

Interesting it has to come from a Dutch man, who to all intents and purposes, is still learning!

Daan

It appears that the main topics, traditionally taught in schools, have become less important since I was at school (admittedly a long time ago). Of course, dyslexia is much more widely diagnosed/recognised now. I had never heard of it until long after I left school. 

Mark

3 hours ago, Daan said:

Mike, I am glad to hear your car is working again.

Daan

Whilst I agree with the sentiment and try my best to use correct spelling and grammar. I think publicly shaming people is not the way to do it, a simple PM with an offer to change or allow it to be changed would suffice.

I am thick skinned enough to not care what people think and don't take offense but others might not be so inclined.

End of subject! 

Mike

• Like 2

offense....:)

Totally not poking or anything. 

Spelling on this forum is excellent by interweb standards and any slips often add a touch of humour too- hell, I've got some used Heras fencing which has a printed safety sign saying ASSEMBLEY POINT on it ;) that makes me smile when I notice it every time.

..anyway, I'm glad you have made some progress Mike and things look stabilised, get that spare engine stripped for a look see . 

Steve

• 3 months later...