ibex 300 build

This got me thinking. Why the thread difference? A TD radiators is full width, so is A NAD. The 300 tdi has different inlet and outlet pipes....

Then I rembered it's the 90/110/130 200 has the same thread as the TD, the Disco has a different thread - yet the rads are the same in all other ways.  Why?

Due to the radiator issue I ended up ordering a new aluminium radiator because it would have threaded spiggots I could just attach the oil pipes to.......... except it turned up with bosses the same as the brass radiator :rtfm: unlike the pictures. After a trip to our local hydraulic hose shop (I escaped for under £5), I now have two elbows and the adaptors robbed off TSD's old radiator this gives a dog leg at the bottom. A liberal adjustment of the metal pipes and it's all in.

While I was at it I fitted new standard bump stops. I did have poly bush style and I think this flexed the bracket's causing one to break.

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Winch rope, as some will recall the winch rope jammed in the tube at the last event. This isn't the end of the world as I can still use the winch out the back with a snatch block.

I un-spliced the hook and winched it out the tube. Sure enough the tube was clagged up, interestingly only the rear 200mm or so. I tried poking proding to no avail. It's difficult to get to as the rear of the tube is in a pocket in the chassis leg with the pulley offset to the inside. At this point I realized that the rear cross member has a jacking tube roughly in line with the chassis leg. A quick look with a torch an sure enough I can see the pocket. So "if I make a long drill bit I can drill through the back of the pocket then run the drill down the tube as far as I can.

IMG_20220305_145954.thumb.jpg.955c66b5d342a62e9c1ed801cfa37edb.jpg

The mk1 is a 10mm drill welded on to some 8mm stud bar I had kicking around. This worked well however it left only a 10-11mm hole through the obstruction. The mk2 is a 13mm drill, ideally I could do with going bigger still but I have got one here so this will do till the next time. 

IMG_20220305_150223.thumb.jpg.21f90b61090a1d87e31c9d5cf290ffc7.jpg

A quicky rince through, put the line back through the tube and the hook re-spliced job done.

Looking at what came out of the tube it was a mixture of mud and dyneema fibres so I suspect I'll be doing this from time to time.

Mike

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Mike, if you had said, I have a whole load of billet 300tdi gear knobs - if you want some...

Thanks but me being the fussy git I am......I've had Ali knobs before and burned my hand in summer, black plastic is bad enough.

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Thanks but me being the fussy git I am......I've had Ali knobs before and burned my hand in summer, black plastic is bad enough.

Mike

Defender people pay hundreds for them if the seller puts the word "bespoke" in the advert. No one ever talks about how much they suck ass to use.

(I have an E-Type one in the XK and I regret it every summer)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

In theory, yes it could - but I don't like my chances of getting it set up right first time and I'd hate to be responsible for permanently disfiguring Mike's knob :ph34r:

I was actually admiring Mike's knob (s). I do like wood

• Confused 1