ibex 300 build

The truck is at fridgefreezer's, he dropped me home at 3am as I've got to drop the wife into town early doors. I've got to go and empty fridges stuff out later and trailer it home.

Then I can have a look to find out what's dead. Having moved it on and off two recovery trucks, we tried to push it and couldn't move it. We had to put the transfer box in neutral to move it so it looks like the something has gone bang in the gearbox then seized the box up.

Mike

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

The truck is at fridgefreezer's, he dropped me home at 3am as I've got to drop the wife into town early doors. I've got to go and empty fridges stuff out later and trailer it home.

Then I can have a look to find out what's dead. Having moved it on and off two recovery trucks, we tried to push it and couldn't move it. We had to put the transfer box in neutral to move it so it looks like the something has gone bang in the gearbox then seized the box up.

Mike

That's a eventfull long night.  Do you have a extra gearbox on hand?  

I have a V8 lt77 but I know the spigot bush is different and need to check what other difference's there are. I know it's possible to fit a V8 box to a 200tdi as the factory repower kits for the range rover classic did exactly this. A friend has an unknown diesel lt77, If all else fails I'll look at a recon box.

Mike

1 minute ago, elbekko said:

Not a fun way to ring in the new year, speaking from experience :(

Maybe start by opening your current box and seeing what's wrong? May be able to rebuild it with bits from the V8 one.

No point in opening it, to change the input shaft you need to strip the whole box. There's a chance it's just the output splines but either way I need another box. The good news is I suspect the rear main seal is leaking so I can change that while in there.

Mike

Hi Mike, 

Sorry to read your misfortune. I have converted a lt77 v8 version to tdi spec (although used on a 300) and I had to change the input shaft (slightly shorter) and ehh, trompet, bellhousing? (I am not sure what it is called 🙂) to a 200 tdi one and off I went. It does however recuire dismantling of the box and a rebuild isn't far away at this point. It can be done on the workbench, the only special tool needed is a BIG bearingpuller to get the bush for the out/input seals on the gearboxes of the outputshaft. 

The easy/fast way is the other box to give some time to rebuild the v8 one... 🙄 🙂

/mads

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, miketomcat said:

No point in opening it, to change the input shaft you need to strip the whole box. There's a chance it's just the output splines but either way I need another box. The good news is I suspect the rear main seal is leaking so I can change that while in there.

Mike

Allway's like the way you get on with it.  It is what it is, and looking at the bright side of it.  Big sigh, and get on with it.  💪

Right so I have an lt77 that came out of a range rover that had a factory 200tdi retro fit kit. It's a V8 lt77 with a diesel bell housing and it had a special spigot bush.

IMG_20230107_173444.thumb.jpg.e5f54719d72e094f76c8e6cbd29fef1c.jpg

Excuse the bit of glove attached to the end of the input shaft. This is a knackered diesel lt77.

IMG_20230107_173458.thumb.jpg.a558eaea1394653758e858e21e80ea0d.jpg

According to my slightly dodgy measurements the V8 input shaft is 7mm shorter but would still pick in a spigot bush nicely. The clutch would also pick up on the splines but not the full length again around 7mm short (the splines protrude through the clutch on a diesel according to the witness marks). I can potentially get a spigot bush made, so I'm seriously considering this as lt77's are getting thin on the ground and I believe this to be a good box. This is also an almost no money solution and the worst that could happen is it strips the clutch splines.

Mike

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I've just had a chat with my dad who agrees it should be fine and he's happy to machine a spigot bush up. So it's looking like it's a goer.

Mike

Your "Dad" wouldn't live at Amazingstoke would he ???

Regards Stephen

58 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Your "Dad" wouldn't live at Amazingstoke would he ???

Regards Stephen

No, my "dad" is my dad, he's a retired mechanical engineer with a decent lathe and mill at home and he lives in the new forest just down the road from me. Having spoken to him it's a goer.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nonimouse said:

I have a spare LT77 for a DIsco, that I  believe to be good, you are welcome to it

Thanks Dave I'll keep that in mind, I'm comfortable I can make this work so I'm going to proceed as all the parts are here or mail order.

Mike

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles, but glad there is a plan.

I am sure you know the old trick to get the old spigot bush out, using grease and a socket, however that did not work for me last time as I could not seal the grease. Then I googled the problem; The solution is bread, and that worked.

Here:

Daan

• Like 2