ibex 300 build

Are they genuinely worn or just polished? If the latter could you just whip off the head and sump in-situ, new set of rings onto the pistons and a quick blast with a drill hone to reinstate the cross-hatching and reassemble. Can be done without removing the engine from the vehicle, just pushing out the pistons from underneath.

• Like 2

IMG_20220727_101925.thumb.jpg.0b0b6a8039de8c0daf7c598355bb1b1c.jpg

This photo was taken a couple of years ago during the Scotland head gasket. It's difficult to see but the honing lines are visible either side but the bore is polished front and back. So I'd say oval and I doubt it's improved with another 20k miles.

Mike

• Like 1

there's not much you can tell by lookng at bore's .... you have to measure them to know what to fix .

on the Eurover 200tdi the bore's had no crosshatching left on a couple of spots  , but measured to be good enough for another round of standard rings with a good hone to get the cross hatch patern back .... (since i did a full rebuild i opted for a oversize with new piston's).

so just borrow a decent cilinder measure set and know what to do ....

This is all well and good but if I take the head off and find it is oval then I can't get to work on Monday. Whatever I end up doing it has to be one out, one in over a weekend (maybe a long weekend if I'm lucky). Your all forgetting this is my daily driver there is no other car.

Mike

9 minutes ago, jason110 said:

No chance of picking something up with 12 months MOT that you can use while you fix it up? 

I could but that then eats into the engine budget and it means the ibex is on the drive and can't be moved anywhere else, which is alright until I need to fix the 110 or the aforementioned 12 month'er.

Mike

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I could but that then eats into the engine budget and it means the ibex is on the drive and can't be moved anywhere else, which is alright until I need to fix the 110 or the aforementioned 12 month'er.

Mike

I'll take the Ibex off your hands for 500 notes, call it a favour

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Mike, you'll save a fortune! :lol:

Believe me I briefly thought about selling either the 110 or the ibex or even both, but I need a tow vehicle for work and that there caravan project. There is nothing out there I would happily daily with the exception of one of my jem's (and that makes the ibex really sensible) and the 110 is tax and mot exempt next month. Oh yeah and everything else depreciates like a stone so would end up costing more in the long run.

Mike

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I need a tow vehicle for work

No way your work would contribute some pennies to keeping such a vital machine running?

I'd have thought a few hundreds of quid towards an engine rebuild would look cheap compared to even just having to rent something for a short period if yours was unavailable...

Just ordering a bunch of engine parts on the company credit card would make the accounting super easy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

So, what you are saying is you need to fix up the Jem so you can take the Ibex off the road for a short period of time? :)

Yeah about that.....

IMAG1347.jpg.08b83611c47683334343c5b90578a984.jpg

IMAG1846.thumb.jpg.d450de00d4ea10fbddc3212908591e59.jpg

Neither is a five minute job. But yes I've considered it and haven't ruled it out, in fact one may come to the house later in the year to try to relieve this issue in the future.

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

No way your work would contribute some pennies to keeping such a vital machine running?

I'd have thought a few hundreds of quid towards an engine rebuild would look cheap compared to even just having to rent something for a short period if yours was unavailable...

Just ordering a bunch of engine parts on the company credit card would make the accounting super easy.

My works give me an extra two days holiday in lue of use as it is.

Mike

• Like 1

It may not be a 5 minute job, but if you are prepared to run around in a rat-rod like fashion at least knowing the underpinnings are good then it may not be as much work as it could be.

5 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

It may not be a 5 minute job, but if you are prepared to run around in a rat-rod like fashion at least knowing the underpinnings are good then it may not be as much work as it could be.

That's essentially the plan for one but it needs about a week of evenings and two weekends of fibreglass work before anything can be bolted to it. The other one may actually be cheaper to make a new shell.

Mike

Honestly it feels like trying to cobble a Gem together is likely to take as much time & money as just fixing the damn 200TDi and having the more practical daily driver back in full fettle.

3 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Honestly it feels like trying to cobble a Gem together is likely to take as much time & money as just fixing the damn 200TDi and having the more practical daily driver back in full fettle.

Possibly, but then there's two cars to have fun with :) 

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

That's essentially the plan for one but it needs about a week of evenings and two weekends of fibreglass work before anything can be bolted to it. The other one may actually be cheaper to make a new shell.

Mike

Could loan you an English wheel, shrinker stretcher etc if you want a shot at an aluminium body...............

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Could loan you an English wheel, shrinker stretcher etc if you want a shot at an aluminium body...............

Regards Stephen

The original prototype (dart) was an Ali body on a mini floorpan.

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I'd like to see mike fold up into a gem too! :lol: 

Granted I haven't driven one for about 15 years but I sat in one the year before last and still fit. :hysterical:

Mike

14 minutes ago, rusty_wingnut said:

Could you consider something like a 2.5D in lue of the 200 short term?

To be honest a 2.5d would require as much alteration as either a 300tdi or indeed a td5, at which point either is more appealing. I have toyed with fitting a 200 turbo, manifold and engine mounts to a 300 then either using the 200 flywheel housing or switching to an r380. I'd also need to fit a 300 radiator. Not sure how viable this is if not it's replacing engine mounts, exhaust, radiator and air intake system plus I'd need to buy and switch to and r380. All of the above is why I looked at the td5 as they are cheap and plentyful.

Mike

• Like 1

I was thinking that it will fit on the mounts, fit the gearbox, fuel lines are simple. Then you're left with exhuast pipe and mounting the 200 power steering pump.

It's leftfield, but I dare say you may find someone has a running engine you could beg/borrow while you repair what you have.