ibex 300 build

1 hour ago, Daan said:

Yes, but a TD5 does eat heads for breakfast, and they are not cheap either. Ok, not a regular thing, but cracking around the injector is a well known problem and shows up with fuel in the oil and eventual death of your engine. A clutch problem, like you have now means a new dual mass flywheel, which is probably double the price to replace. Rebuild it, and it is 5 pistons instead of 4. So know what you wish for.

i personally choose a TDI over a TD5 any day, but it depends on your uses. If you do many road miles, maybe a TD5 is better suited, but for off roading, the low down grunt of a TDI is hard to beat IMO. The 2.8 TGV version would be my ideal engine, combining the low down grunt and simplicity of the TDI with the power of a TD5.

It's a valid point, and my comment was rather tongue in cheek ;) To be honest I have no preference either way, I never really got along with my 300TDi, and a Td5 sounds alright but has a lot of issues as you say. The entirety of the fuel system is a mess, basically. Heads/manifolds are mainly a symptom of power boxes and such I think?

In a way a bit like a P38, too modern to be stupidly simple, yet too old to have the newfangled stuff properly figured out.

If it was my car and I'd desperately want a diesel, I think I'd either go for a fully mechanical OM605/606, or something like the M57 where a lot of the common-rail diesel issues have been figured out. But neither of those options are in Mike's budget, sadly.

So, erm, how about a nice 2.4 VM? Bolts up to the gearbox, and are dirt cheap because nobody wants them :D

I was talking yesterday to a farmer in the back end of nowhere. He has an 88" sitting rotting outside that he's "going to put in the shed over there, once it's cleared it out and get it back on the road."  Yeah right.

However, he offered me a Discovery 200 TDi "with a good chassis because I always oiled it but a rotten body". It's situated very roughly between Leek and Buxton. It may also be very rough and situated between Leek and Buxton.  Just in case, FYI.

• Like 2

Thank you Peaklander I'm trying to find one closer but we'll see how that goes.

In other news it's out.

IMG_20240316_153447.thumb.jpg.e017a13d9ae0692de78807d853c08628.jpg

I now know exactly what happened to the clutch.

IMG_20240316_153440.thumb.jpg.b971c4a762c5c0fc124460a2f1784229.jpg

At the top behind the fingers is a bit of metal and some springs not quite in their correct position so the friction plate has exploded.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

How have you done that? Can you fit the equivalent of a 130 clutch?

When I replaced the gearbox many moons ago I did the clutch at the same time and replaced it the heavy duty / 130 spec Valeo one. About 100k later (after lots of towing, general abuse and getting smoke out of it at one point) when I snapped a crank ordered another because it was silly not to. The one that came out was still perfectly usable and showed no significant wear on it.

• Like 1

I *think* that is a 130 clutch plate. I definitely fitted a 130 plate when I built the truck however the engine and gearbox have been changed since then and can't remember which clutch went back in as I have a lightly used clutch in the workshop as a spare.

Mike

That's what happened to my 130HD clutch at 7S Mike, just before we went to Norway.

Actually, I drove home from that 7S, so why did you need the margic carpet to get home? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I had a clutch do the same thing, ok, on a 300. Next to no friction plate wear. I replaced with a Motor and Diesel one for 2.8 TGV, I think LOF do them now. Bur all has been ok since, just a bit clattery as some of the damper springing was omitted, but supposedly more robust.

15 hours ago, miketomcat said:

@TSD Because work was further away than where it broke and I figured getting further away is not a good thing.:hysterical:

From memory is *was* a bit of a fraught drive, and left me stuck for a while when I mistimed the traffic lights, so you probably made the right choice :)

10 hours ago, fmmv said:

I replaced with a Motor and Diesel one for 2.8 TGV, I think LOF do them now. Bur all has been ok since, just a bit clattery as some of the damper springing was omitted, but supposedly more robust.

My M&D clutch has been problem free over the last 15+ years and Eek! miles, but I noticed last year it has finally stopped rattling in neutral, so in the way of these things, either it or the gearbox is probably going to demand some attention soon!

When I bought the Disco, it had a 'funny' clutch, just never right. After about 30k I decided to swap it out. Clutch plate was in backwards. According to the service history, this was the original factory clutch. I also discovered the interesting little snail cam adjuster on the pedal, at the same time.

I fit Valeo/Borg and Beck clutches. There's very little difference between any of the vehicles type of 'HD' versions

20 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

@miketomcat reckon you could persuade TSD to do a swapsie for a functioning 200? ;)

His is a 300. The only reason I'm not jumping on it is it's no less work than fitting a td5. Mind until I sort a replacement it's sat there doing nothing.

Mike

I was reminded why I don't like TD5's on Saturday. One of the set up crew got stuck in a very deep water hole, in his 110. flooded the seat box and drowned the ecu's. We dried everything out. Eventually. But it would only run for a 30 seconds or so, then die. Cleaned all the relays out as I couldn't remember which one was the fuel pump. Still wouldn't run. Checked everything again. Still wouldn't run. Gave up in the end and yellow taxi to Scotland.

I pulled a 10 tonner MAN truck through the same water hole, later in the day, (although it was with a Yankum rope) no issues

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

His is a 300. The only reason I'm not jumping on it is it's no less work than fitting a td5. Mind until I sort a replacement it's sat there doing nothing.

Mike

Ah but I have two spare blocks for those if you wanted them - no crankshafts mind... :ph34r:

I reckon a TGV install is less hassle than a 300tdi - at least in the M&D version, not sure about the other conversions out there. The oil filter is already remoted, so much easier to adapt the engine mounts, and (handly for the Ibex), no oil cooler in the rad to foul on the stering box.

Shhh, don't tell @miketomcat! If there's a lowish cost TGV in decent condition, I want it for 2Bex!

Hopefully I've sourced a 200tdi just waiting to collect it, fingers crossed it'll give me some time.

In other news I've pulled the front axle apart while the truck isn't going anywhere. To replace the cv's and swivels.

IMG_20240325_181953.thumb.jpg.57f7e4093f0548be77e3327a9c0f8352.jpg

Mike

• Like 4