How heavy is a 200 Tdi engine

JeffR

Especially if you mention that it will save you asking her for help lifting greasy stuff.

Her sense on humour failure has just reached biblical proportions as I've just had to cancel the nice meal out I'd promised her. Why? cos like a fckin idiot I fitted a set of Britpart braided hoses , nowt particularly wrong with the old ones, but the new ones were nice and shiny, and the MOT man would like them so much.

Only fckin problem is that one of the hoses is like solid. I mean for 1-2cm of it's length there is no bloody hole down the middle, it's not a fkcking hose it's a rod. How on earth can sh!tpart ...... Words actually fail me.

I thought it was a dodgy calliper so exercised her credit card and got another, but, no, it weren't the calliper was it, so bang went the budget for a night out...

About to go join the cat in the cat basket as it's bed time.....

I have a crane the same as that - and it's surprisingly good! The ram is chromed - but I leave it covered in grease just to be safe.

I've lifted over a ton with it - and it showed no sign of flexing or breaking! All the welds look nice & even the paint is OK.

Si

Well the cat basket was surprisingly comfortable and warm with three cats, she's calmed down a bit now that the thing has arrived and is assembled! Quote "compared with other stuff you've bought for that sort of money - (referring to my ever increasing collection of ABU fishing reels and rods I think) it's quite an impressive bit of kit"

Add to that the promise of a good takeaway tomorrow evening, I think the cats may be on their own......

Now all I need to find are the lifting points on the engine and off we go......

Oh and my Borg and Beck clutch arrived as did my load leveller and crank puller puller. And I had a nice chat with Britpart about the p!ss poor quality of their not so goodies.

Without meaning to take this off topic... to what exactly do you attach the chains? I mean, are there lifting eyes on engines, or would you use straps or something underneath?

for example ---

on a defender 200tdi & should be in same locations on the discovery variant, the lift eyes are front left of cylinder head & rear right, circled in yellow in my photo's

a small shackle & strop or chain will lift it easily

post-20-0-82317600-1372355665_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-44125400-1372355667_thumb.jpg

Oh bugger! There is a front lifting bracket, but no rear, now if I use on of the cylinder head bolts (like we used to on Minis), will I need to replace the head gasket, or will I get away with just re-tightening it? I've never dismantled a LR diesel!

long good thickish rope or chain down each side so it sits around the flywheel housing then form a loop for hook at the top.

200tdi rear bracket here with photo

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/85794/0/engine_lifting_bracket_rear_2_300tdi

or I would be happy to remove mine & send you a fullsize diagram, so you can make one.