Halford Bargain Socket set -Offer

Les Brock

Don't get it.

Buy it by itself and save £120 yet buy it with another item and only save £10!!!!

Why would you buy the combi deal?

Marc

That's an extra tenner saved on top of the 120 already saved ...... the spanner set is normally 50 quid so all in you get 250 quids worth of tools for 120 saving 130 .... assuming of course they ever were full price.

EDIT actually the spanners are normally 75 but are on offer for 50 so all in you allegedley save 155 with the combi deal

I have that 150 pc set, it is always advertised at "half price"" and is generally available at £99. It has been since I bought mine about 4/5 years ago, so you are saving £20. That said, £80 is a very good price.

I must say that these deals do generate some interest, I bought mine because my neighbour showed me his "bargain" set at half price when I arrived home one day, I turned around and went straight to Halfrauds to get one. When I got home with it I called one son in law and one friend who both went straight out and bought the same but like I said, it`s been £99 ever since!

I would highly recommend at £80

Got to love the quality of the halfords kit, just a shame they don't have a larger range, especially imperial spanners.

You'd also be a fool to buy any of the kits in the few weeks a year that they are actually "full price" (Surely there is a retail rule about how many weeks of the year you can sell a product at a "sale price" which halfords seems to overlook?? Never mind :ph34r: )

I cut my box in half, the halves fit nicely in my (Halfords) tool chest - which saves me buying tool trays/in-fills.

Mines been great, broken a few things but mainly due to abuse beyond design limits! It has an 11mm spanner too :P

Never thought about trying to fit the box into the tool chest! Which chest have you done this with? I have the professional top box which I'd also recommend to anyone, not as sturdy as Snap-on and the like but then it's a fraction of the cost of those!

Mines the black one, think it's called the industrial range or something. It was the dear one anyway!

The two halves of the socket set box fit very nicely into it, the only problem is if you want to take the tools somewhere else you have to ratchet strap the box closed.

Ah yeah thats the badger, the industrial one not professional!

I too have one and its excellent.

Only gripes I have are that there is no 11mm spanner and the box hinges are rubbish, but you can swap for a new box if it breaks so not really a problem :) :)

That's good to know. Had one delivered yesterday as a little pre-birthday prezzie and was very pleased with the tools but think the same about the case.

Barry

Lidl of all places had a much more comprehensive kit for sale recently at £70. Quality was very good as well - better than i was expecting from Lidl and for that price.

Richard, it never fails to amaze me how good the quality and price of tools are from Lidl and Saint Aldi.

I missed out on their socket set.

Cheers

Barry

I bought my halfords socket set and also spanner set both in the trays to fit in a tool chest.

they have been absolutely spot on with no issues at all. the ratchets are still perfect even the 1/4" drive after i applied a 2 foot pole to the end.......

yes i was in a mood and nothing else would fit.

the newer ratchets dont seem to be quite as good quality as they were 2-3 years ago, but the sockets seem as good as ever. (none of the sockets even show signs of wear after 5 years or so, even the very extensively used ones)

the one problem with halfords tools is they dont seem to make other tools at the "advanced" quality rate. the screwdrivers are top notch, although Steel topped throughdrive ones would be nice,

they dont make things like pry bars, circlip pliers etc etc which is a shame IMO

If you purchase one of these sets, photocopy the receipt for the lifetime guarantee, the print fades away in time.

Got mine in wallet, just had a look and it has faded :(

Having said that I swapped a damaged torx bit from a set that I bought from them without a receipt or any bother at all :)

Every apprentice I've ever had has ended up buying one of these big halfords sets and for the money I've been very impressed. They stand up well in professional usage, everywhere from back street garages to the defence industry.

Why oh why do they include a 23mm impact socket and no 24mm? I've never used or seen used a 23mm socket in any industry I've worked in or visited in the UK or South America

the one problem with halfords tools is they dont seem to make other tools at the "advanced" quality rate. the screwdrivers are top notch, although Steel topped throughdrive ones would be nice

I couldn't agree less regarding the screwdrivers, while not quite rolson grade of dross they are hardly high end stuff. My last apprentice had a set and I found them to be awkward to use, weak in the tip and with a handle design which made it impossible to apply any real torque.

For years I've been hot on Snap On screwdrivers and have sets in all tip types, once you have used a pro quality tool I think it's impossible to go back. I'm not saying every DIYer or home mechanic on this forum needs to spend hundreds on snap on, but I think screwdrivers are one of those hand tools where you get what you pay for and quality counts. Now I'm office bound I'll not buy any more though

For the man on a budget I heavily recommend Wera screwdrivers, either laser or chisel tip are good, your choice will depend on your level of finesse (or butchery). Screwfix have them in sets of six for less than twenty quid which is excellent value

Every apprentice I've ever had has ended up buying one of these big halfords sets and for the money I've been very impressed. They stand up well in professional usage, everywhere from back street garages to the defence industry.

Why oh why do they include a 23mm impact socket and no 24mm? I've never used or seen used a 23mm socket in any industry I've worked in or visited in the UK or South America

I couldn't agree less regarding the screwdrivers, while not quite rolson grade of dross they are hardly high end stuff. My last apprentice had a set and I found them to be awkward to use, weak in the tip and with a handle design which made it impossible to apply any real torque.

For years I've been hot on Snap On screwdrivers and have sets in all tip types, once you have used a pro quality tool I think it's impossible to go back. I'm not saying every DIYer or home mechanic on this forum needs to spend hundreds on snap on, but I think screwdrivers are one of those hand tools where you get what you pay for and quality counts. Now I'm office bound I'll not buy any more though

For the man on a budget I heavily recommend Wera screwdrivers, either laser or chisel tip are good, your choice will depend on your level of finesse (or butchery). Screwfix have them in sets of six for less than twenty quid which is excellent value

Thats strange, as the only problem i have with my halfords screwdrivers is that they have all lost their magnetism, and the tray they come in looks like it is designed to fit nicely in a drawer of their own toolchest, but it doesent.

the rubber on the handle has twisted before now but i just de twisted it and glued it back together never had a problem since, i do hammer on them from time to time and i feel that the tips are fine.

each to their own i suppose. i guess in daily use they might not fare so well, but i have a set of Bergen torx ended screwdrivers which are extremely good quality for the money and do outshine the halfords screwdrivers in terms of feel.