Straight cutting tube

Nigelw

Gotta do some reasonably precise cutting of some tube, now I am not a bad free hand cutter with my 9" but both tubes need cut paralel and square.

Idea so far, clamp the work piece on a piece of flat plate, fit a metal cutting disc on my circular saw and cut both tubes near identical, or is there a better way?

....and rarely available in the home workshop

if you get a sheet of A4 paper and wrap it tightly round the tube and line up the edge as it comes back on itself and

continue until its all on then tape it the edge of the paper will be dead square to the tube

A 4 1/2" with a thin slit disc will be much easier to steer too

hth

Steveb

....and rarely available in the home workshop

if you get a sheet of A4 paper and wrap it tightly round the tube and line up the edge as it comes back on itself and

continue until its all on then tape it the edge of the paper will be dead square to the tube

A 4 1/2" with a thin slit disc will be much easier to steer too

hth

Steveb

2" masking tape pulled tight and rolled round works well to.

Mike

Jubilee clips. Works as a guide and if cut manually with a hacksaw the blade seems to not want to cut into the clip, only.follow it

a grinder would just eat the clip though although would still work as a quick precise guide.

I have a cheap circular chop saw ... I wonder if I can get cutting discs to fit it ..... Never thought that might even be a possibility.

I used to use-before I found an Industrial chop saw with a coolant pump at Newbury, a wood chop saw with the original wood circular saw disk removed and 12" metal cutting disks on it to replace the wood disk I removed-this was ok but caused a fair few sparks and also a lot of dust from the disk too

hth

John

Forgot to do the photos but the circular saw worked very well on my test pieces as some dumb mother hubbard had not yet bent my two pieces of tube that will make my project but I had enough time to try but not enough to do anything productive as parts not yet here, perhaps tonight I will cut the "A" bar and remember to do pictures :blush:

Need a bit more measuring as not sure the winch will fit in or come out for that matter once welded on? Could be a solid means of security I suppose if they actually have to remove the entire bumper to get to the winch? And welded on bumper bolts too :ph34r: should be safe enough :lol:

Will post up when I cut properly :)

The rage chop saw is a cost effective piece of kit if you are doing a refurb, cuts steel, aluminium, wood etc very well..

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/build/rage4.php

you can also mitre precise angles if you use an angle gauge against the blade to set the cut, worked well on a kit car chassis I built with a lot of compound angles involved..

I have a cut off saw and found keeping things level difficult with long stock so ended up with a small table on wheels the same height as the bed of the saw so I could move it depending on the length of the stock. Only works with a level floor though.

To be honest most of the time I go with the paper or tape method and a grinder as it's easier than moving the stock to the saw.