Tech Tips!

Soren Frimodt

i always used the crank pulley starter technique... works every time.

in my younger inexperienced years, the first one i ever did, i put the breaker bar up against the chassis rail, and held it in place so it didnt slap against the chassis using a bungee cord....

i put it on the LH chassis rail and needless to say, i needed new underwear when i heard the massive bang of the breaker bar swinging round and smacking the other chassis rail!!!!!

never made that mistake once after that!

When I have hat to remove and repair a track rod in the field there has been occasion when the taper would not bite when I was trying to do up the TRE in the hub arm. The nut would just spin the taper in the arm. Application of a jack under the TRE allowed me to tighten it up. If the other rod is in the way (Series) or the TRE is facing downwards then use a pry bar to lever the TRE in to the arm instead.

When I have hat to remove and repair a track rod in the field there has been occasion when the taper would not bite when I was trying to do up the TRE in the hub arm. The nut would just spin the taper in the arm. Application of a jack under the TRE allowed me to tighten it up. If the other rod is in the way (Series) or the TRE is facing downwards then use a pry bar to lever the TRE in to the arm instead.

a prybar like you suggested has been very useful from time to time. in a workshop a rattle gun can usually run the nut faster than the ball joint turns which makes it even easier.

• 4 weeks later...

Not so much a tech tip, more "I didn't know they made this"

Take one of those halogen floor 'site lights'. Bright, but f-bar-steward hot, bulb which breaks easily, and generally totally unsuitable for use as an inspection light when working on cars

post-20525-0-41255700-1390692785_thumb.jpg

Get on Ebay and search for "118mm halogen led", will yield something that looks like this:

post-20525-0-54713200-1390692725_thumb.jpg

Order for less than a fiver delivered, install into light and voilà, a decent, cool running floor standing inspection lamp that won't melt or self-destruct at the drop of a hat or spanner.

I wouldn't recommend these to replace halogen bulbs in fixed security lights, at 9w they're not bright enough. But to illuminate the underneath of a Land Rover, or the inside of the under stairs cupboard, perfect!

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Matt

Not so much a tech tip, more "I didn't know they made this"

Take one of those halogen floor 'site lights'. Bright, but f-bar-steward hot, bulb which breaks easily, and generally totally unsuitable for use as an inspection light when working on cars

attachicon.gif27678.jpg

Get on Ebay and search for "118mm halogen led", will yield something that looks like this:

attachicon.gif$_12.JPG

Order for less than a fiver delivered, install into light and voilà, a decent, cool running floor standing inspection lamp that won't melt or self-destruct at the drop of a hat or spanner.

I wouldn't recommend these to replace halogen bulbs in fixed security lights, at 9w they're not bright enough. But to illuminate the underneath of a Land Rover, or the inside of the under stairs cupboard, perfect!

Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Matt

Must recover the one I threw into the garden shrubbery in disgust last month and try that!

• 2 weeks later...

When arc stick welding or using an inverter welder, fix the earth clamp as near as possible to the intended weld area. Then( preferably using a reactorlight helmet) drag the welding rod down the earth clamp 2 or 3 times before trying to strike up to start the weld. It makes the end of the rod white hot and makes starting the weld much easier. Earth clamps are just a few quid each and can easily be replaced.

Barry