School me on 127/130 Ambulance/campers please!

Not wishing to sound grumpy but this thread is not about looking for alternatives to a land rover, it's about info on Land Rover campers, specifically 127/130 ones as older 127/130's come up for reasonable money and fit many of the criteria.

Not wishing to sound grumpy but this thread is not about looking for alternatives to a land rover, it's about info on Land Rover campers, specifically 127/130 ones as older 127/130's come up for reasonable money and fit many of the criteria.

My suggestion was land rover based and probably around 130 wheelbase... I'm still not helping much though am I.

Mike

Fridge, there is a Facebook group called Land Rover Campers. It's a closed group, so you'll have to apply to join, but that is easy and quick and just needs the group boss to click accept. It took a few hours for me to be activated. There are some good ideas on there.

For what it's worth, I occasionally wonder about putting a 109 Marshalls ambulance body on my 109, once the RRC has been rebuilt, to make it easier for my wife and I to do some more trips around Europe. It's be much more spacious than the existing hardtop body and more practical, if a bit bigger and heavier.

I'm converting my 109SW very slowly to be a weekend camper. The majority of our 'pitch' when we go out will be a 9x9 military tent. We'll actually only use The 109 as a bed space and for watching a DVD very occasionally. Extra battery will go in the spare wheel well, we're not but a fridge can be sat on wheel boxes.

If you might consider a demountable camper body for a 110/130, get along to some of the Landrover shows and take a look round the camping areas. A curious mate and I did a walkabout last year at Billing and found several examples. A quick chat to the owners (wives!) and we were enthusiastically shown around and given lots of tips and ideas.

Chris

John

Budget?

Always start with a budget

I do know of a nice 130 Crew-cab with a Toyota 24valve 4.2 derv burner in it - and Toyota box and T box... and Salisburys (yes 2)

Would look nice with a demountable on it

Also know of a nice 110 with a 12valve 4.2 and ZF box combo - it's a flat bed pick up. Just had a new crank

Defender centre often have rears of ex Water/Gas/Sparks trucks in stock

If you're looking for a weekend camper, I'd say just stick to a Defender ambulance - plenty of good 110 & 130 versions come up and all the hard works already done.

When Friday comes round you want to be able to chuck your gear in the back and get going somewhere quickly and cheaply and it's a bonus not having to set anything up when you get to wherever you're going - and to be able to just nip down the shops if you've forgot the burger buns.

Demountable box bodies, flip top lids and accordion sides look great at a show, but what a faff having to set all that up every day..

I'm mega happy with my Rangie ambulance, really practical, dead comfy and I use it pretty much as my everyday transport- only down side is it's getting pretty old now

Love the extra comfort & width of the Rangie cab and the aerodynamics make fast cruising a lot better than a Defender. My fantasy vapour build project would be to build a similar one on a LSE chassis with more modern.... well everything really :)

Well, the budget & requirements, beyond what I said in my 1st post, are:

Budget: Round about 10k by the time it's all together, lower is better, I was sort of budgeting 3-5k for a base vehicle and same again for conversion & tarting up.

I'd rather buy an older / tattier truck & do it up than spend a load on a newer one that will just need all the same work a few years down the line. No point buying an expensive truck just to start cutting bits off etc. Also I've always thought that shiny bling looking overlanders just scream "we are tourists, please rob us!"

Engine-wise I can live (very happily) with a V8, it won't be doing enough miles to warrant a diesel conversion and the unconverted ones are cheaper - plus all the bits are then completely standard. And I've got all the bits for a Megasquirt upgrade to hand.

Size-wise, as per 1st post, it needs to have enough room in the back for a "full" camper conversion - bed/seat, toilet, fridge, sink otherwise we may as well stick with a tent.

The major restriction size-wise is storage, the shed will (just) fit a 130 length-ways and the clearance under the door is 2.4m, at a real stretch with application of the grinder 2.5m, which rules out many of the tall camper bodies. Also, it's preferable to keep it just about within the bounds of size/weight of a regular vehicle for the purpose of ferry crossings etc.

Although many things are possible, I'd rather not have to construct a pop-up roof or replacement back-body, etc.

Likewise, although any number of weird & wonderful vehicles can be converted into campers, a Land Rover ticks all the boxes practicality & maintenance-wise - everything is familiar, everything is available.

Eightpot has the spirit of the idea bang on - something self-contained you can jump in on Friday afternoon & disappear off in, could be to the New Forest, could be to the Sahara. It's not supposed to be luxury, just more comfortable / lower hassle than tenting it.

MoG - Got any pictures of the actual conversion on the inside?

Not sure how I forgot about this awesome creation...

wallys_ibex.jpg

I don't remember having to crouch inside, and it was very spacious. Then again it has a widened Salisbury axle in the back, even the cab is wider than a standard Ibex. Body is demountable too, leaving a very useable pickup bed.

Only downside I can see is it won't fit your budget (or mine) :mellow:

Pete3000 - That's the exact one that's tempting us, it's not pristine but it's not been too bu&&ered about with and the price is attractive.

HoG - Ah, know the feeling, we've been in 18 months and still no idea where half our stuff is!