X-Brake Rattle Cure

Hi,

Sorry if this is a repeat question, someone must have asked this before but I can't find any answers!

My X-Brake rattles its bag off, I have heard it is the sealant used to hold the pads against the caliper coming apart and they just need re-sticking....is this the case? If so, any recommendations on sealant / glue to stick them back in?

Thanks,

Adam

I had it on mine, tried everything, the only true cure was to get rid of it, I literally tried everything, won't be getting another anytime soon.....

I had the same experience. After taking it apart and refixing the pads umpteen times I gave up! I then got a trusted garage to have a go and the pads started rattling after two weeks yet again!

I decided that I had better things to do with my weekends and went back to the original drum!! A great idea in principle, but it does not work on my 110!

Whatever type of adhesive you use, it will only stick well if the surfaces you are applying it to are completely free of grease and dirt, and dry.

I like using brake cleaner for this purpose. My X-brake pads don't rattle :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

I've not had any rattles with my X-brake, I fitted it without the need of silicone either can't understand why mine doesn't rattle if all of yours have done so by now?

John

I'll remove the whole unit and sort it, wont be able to test it for a few weeks though

My X-brake doen't rattle. In fact given how noisy my defender is anyway and my tinitus, I'm now not sure if it rattles or not.

You will know if it does, it's a horrific noise...the kind where as you drive away people will stop, look and wonder if your engine is about to fall out. Quite embarrasing really lol

• 9 years later...

Defender mods and travels did a good YouTube video about this,

“Defender disc handbrake product review - a flawed design? How to make it work properly”

also tells you  how to get the (JCB) pads for under a tenner